Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you use one of those leashes on you child(ren)??
Yes, they're practical and keep my child from wandering off. 40 53.33%
No, they're constricting and undignified. 21 28.00%
I'm on the fence about them. 14 18.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,684,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Not go to a Disney park until ever child in the family is "old enough"? You've just put horror into the soul of every Disney Fanatic. Not to mention the stock holders. (Grabs heart and falls dramatically to the floor.)

Just my outlook on things. For a few reasons, one, Disney is expensive and not something my family could afford year after year (we'd be traveing far so we have travel costs as well as hotel plus the park expenses) so the few times I go I want to be sure EVERY CHILD will remember it. Two, little kids get tired quicker and so it wouldnt be fair to the older kids when we have to stop in the middle of the day for nap time or leave early because little brother or sister is tired. And three SOMEONE is gonna have to stay with the little kid while everyone older goes off to ride all the rides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,331,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Just my outlook on things.
Fair enough. All totally valid points. Especially for the family who is travelling a distance for their vacation.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:31 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,297,329 times
I have a cousin with 5 kids (yes, I think that's insane, but they seem to enjoy it). They are ages 3-16, and go to Disney every year. Should the 16 year old have had to wait until now to go for the 1st time because the youngest wasn't old enough? this is just a ridiculous conversation. Essentially I'm hearing "I think leashes are too restricting, so YOU shouldn't take YOUR family to Disneyland until the youngest one is old enough and well behaved enough to not wander off without being attached to a leash."

Old 06-16-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I have a cousin with 5 kids (yes, I think that's insane, but they seem to enjoy it). They are ages 3-16, and go to Disney every year. Should the 16 year old have had to wait until now to go for the 1st time because the youngest wasn't old enough? this is just a ridiculous conversation. Essentially I'm hearing "I think leashes are too restricting, so YOU shouldn't take YOUR family to Disneyland until the youngest one is old enough and well behaved enough to not wander off without being attached to a leash."

I never said they are to restricting, I think they give more freedom than strollers I just think that you shouldnt use something on children you use on animals. Whats next shock collars if they cry to much??

Anyways in your cousins case I would have tried to find someone to watch the younger children and if that wasnt possible we wouldnt have went. But as I said before (I think this is what like the 6th time?) THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO. Me and me only. Everyone should be able to treat their animals oops I means kids however theyd like. (within limits of course )

Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,626,788 times
What I find strange is the fact that I ONLY seeing white woman/couples using these things.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:45 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,417,632 times
Quote:
Then you dont go until all members of the family or old enough to handle it and enjoy it. IMO but as I said earlier to each its own this is a "WHAT I WOULD DO" statement. Not asking anyone to change their views or life for me.
Yep, that's what my parents did..... I'm the oldest of four. By the time we got around to DW , I was so "over it"

Old 06-16-2011, 11:52 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,297,329 times
Quote:
I never said they are to restricting, I think they give more freedom than strollers I just think that you shouldnt use something on children you use on animals. Whats next shock collars if they cry to much??

Anyways in your cousins case I would have tried to find someone to watch the younger children and if that wasnt possible we wouldnt have went. But as I said before (I think this is what like the 6th time?) THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO. Me and me only. Everyone should be able to treat their animals oops I means kids however theyd like. (within limits of course )
Fine. I wasn't speaking only to you though. And I was being kind using "too restrictive" as my example. I could have said Essentially I'm hearing "I think leashes look stupid, so YOU shouldn't take YOUR family to Disneyland until the youngest one is old enough and well behaved enough to not wander off without being attached to a leash."

Old 06-16-2011, 12:04 PM

831 posts, read 1,588,437 times
I used one with my now 12 yr old when she was little and I use one now with my 3 yr old. We went to the zoo a few weeks ago and I had my 3 yr old on it. She likes having her hands free to hold a drink and I like not pulling on her arm and being able to take my eyes off of her for a few seconds at a time. I can get in my purse a lot easier by sliding my end of the lease on my wrist and using both hand than trying to keep one hand and one eye on her.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,331,964 times
Quote:
Fine. I wasn't speaking only to you though. And I was being kind using "too restrictive" as my example. I could have said Essentially I'm hearing "I think leashes look stupid, so YOU shouldn't take YOUR family to Disneyland until the youngest one is old enough and well behaved enough to not wander off without being attached to a leash."
rkb: my last response was to OhioChic's own situation. As far as anybody telling me I shouldn't take my kids to Disneyland and use a leash? No. It's nobody's business. I'm the parent. My choice. Last time I looked it was still a free country.

Shoot. My kids learned to walk at Disneyland.

BTW: To only seeing White parents using leashes? Silly. I'll use the Disneyland example again. I've seen all colors using them.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Im not repeating myself to you anymore if you decide to open your eyes and read my responses then fine otherwise....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting