Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 02:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

OK, leaving aside welfare (and don't be quick to assume it could never happen to you), there is nothing wrong with having babies in one's early 20s. There is nothing wrong with having babies in one's 40s. The best time to have a baby is when you have one.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:14 PM

770 posts, read 1,178,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Only 25% of adults in the US over the age of 25 have a college degree. Clearly there are more than just a few people without college degrees having children and making it work.

Making it work doesn't mean they aren't struggling. I don't understand why you can't just admit that it's just smarter to wait until you are financially stable to start having kids. I highly doubt you or anyone on here would encourage your own daughters to get pregnant while they are still flipping burgers and would have to struggle to support their family. Most people want to live comfortably. Forget having kids...for most people it's hard to support just themselves with just a highschool diploma. By starting a family before you are able to support them you're pretty much setting yourself up for a difficult life when all you have to do is wait a couple of years then you and your family can live comfortably.

I really don't care what people do but I can understand why it's mind boggling to the OP to see people do things in not the smartest way, and then have those same people nag her about why she isn't doing it the same way. It's kind of like watching people run off a cliff and surviving it with serious injuries. Those same people ask you again and again why you won't jump of a cliff too as you're wondering why the hell anyone would ever do that. You might not care because you aren't the one getting the injuries so it has no effect on you, but you still might be standing there scratching you head thinking....huh?...and as more and more people start doing it you start to wonder if you're the weird one for not wanting to jump off the cliff too. (weird analogy but hopefully it gets the point across)

But we can agree to disagree. This thread has gotten old and I'm over it. Bye!

Old 07-05-2011, 04:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
I really don't care what people do but I can understand why it's mind boggling to the OP to see people do things in not the smartest way, and then have those same people nag her about why she isn't doing it the same way. It's kind of like watching people run off a cliff and surviving it with serious injuries. Those same people ask you again and again why you won't jump of a cliff too as you're wondering why the hell anyone would ever do that. (weird analogy but hopefully it gets the point across)

But we can agree to disagree, I'm over it. Bye!
And this is the point. She's getting all upset over people (although, it's apparently really only one person) "nagging" her (or just questioning) her choices and then she turns around and does THE EXACT SAME THING, in a condescending tone and doesn't understand why it's a problem for her to do it. It's not ok no matter who is doing it. Other people's choices are not our business. Whether or not we consider them smart decisions. And, because we are not part of their personal family decisions, they may have very valid reasons for their choices.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:25 PM

106 posts, read 251,573 times
If you notice other threads she post in she tends to get into arguments when people disagree with her. I have been on many NYC threads where she posts and her remarks are really condescending.
I think she is just jealous of her friends. Maybe most ask her why her boyfriend won't marry her. Since she is ASSuming about everyone else.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:32 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,994 times
I tend to think that using the term "pop out" when refering to giving birth is a derogatory phrase, and reeks of disdain.
And mentioning 'Rite Aid' or pizza places...is she looking down her nose at them for working there? At least they have jobs. Not jobs to her standards, but guess what? Not everyone WANTS or CAN go to college. Some people are ok with their station in life, and do what they can to make the best of it. Some people start in at a position and work their way through the ranks with hard work and dedication. I've seen it first hand, and those people are pretty happy.

If people are "nagging" you or "questioning" you, tell them to bug off...ignore it, or you could of course, take their personal inventory and judge them as you have your "peers".

I have a friend who (jokingly) asks me why I have 4 children. I tell him it's because I don't want 5. Who really gives a rat's behind about when/where/how someone ELSE has children? The only time I have a problem with it is when the children are not supported and cared for...then I take issue. Sure, we all have a tendency to make flash judgements about people, but people in glass houses, man....stay away from those rocks!

Old 07-05-2011, 04:41 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Sure, we all have a tendency to make flash judgements about people, but people in glass houses, man....stay away from those rocks!

And get dressed in the basement!

Old 07-05-2011, 04:47 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post

And get dressed in the basement!
Nah. If they are watching, 1 of 2 things will happen.

1. Either they like what they see and I have just made someone's day a bit brighter , or
2. They don't like what they see and they have learned not to look into my house.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:48 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Nah. If they are watching, 1 of 2 things will happen.

1. Either they like what they see and I have just made someone's day a bit brighter , or
2. They don't like what they see and they have learned not to look into my house.
Haha!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
It's pretty much been a "fad" for young women to have children and care for them for the past few tens of thousands of years or so.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,491 times
I would not mind being a housewife,in fact I think it is the perfect life for me. I am already not going to attend college. Might as well marry now and have children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting