Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:53 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times

Advertisements

I was reading some questions on yahoo answers.
I think it was fake but anyways, it was a punishment question, and part of the punishment was the two kids being grounded from watching the 4th of July fireworks.

Would you ever take a holiday away like the 4th of July?
What if it meant the whole family would have to stay home because someone would have to be with the kid to watch him/her and someone would have to take the other kids?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 05:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I couldn't say "never." It would depend on what the kid did wrong, and if it was at all related to the holiday. I most likely wouldn't do that, though, no.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:10 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Apparently the two kids were arguing and fighting with each other.

I say let them fight, who cares.
Let them work it out.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I say let them fight, who cares.
Let them work it out.
Right. No guidance. No discipline. Just let 'em duke it out.

Sorry, but I wasn't going to raise barbarians.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:45 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Would you ever take a holiday away like the 4th of July?
What if it meant the whole family would have to stay home because someone would have to be with the kid to watch him/her and someone would have to take the other kids?

Just curious.

Taking a major holiday away as punishment for fighting w/ eachother? No! I did take a holiday away from my daughter back when she was 11. She spent the night w/ a friend and got into big trouble. The mom went to bed and the two girls snuck out, by the suggestion of the friend. My daughter knew enough to say no, but went along w/ this. This was like 1 am, far too late for little girls to be out. They did silly things like throwing toys into the neighbor's yard and tapping on her window. Mind you, this lady was in her 80's and I'm sure was frightened. She called the police and they came out. The girls were back in the house by then and just given a lecture. The mom didn't even bother to tell me about this! I found out from my daughter when she told me the police had come over. With more questions, we got to the truth. We took her to the friend's neighbor to apologize for what she had done and see if there was any cleanup of her yard to do. We also took Halloween Trick or Treating away from her that year. That was four years ago, and we haven't had any issues w/ her since. She also has never been back to that house.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:03 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Right. No guidance. No discipline. Just let 'em duke it out.

Sorry, but I wasn't going to raise barbarians.
Amen dew .. I was not going to either .

Old 07-03-2011, 06:04 PM

834 posts, read 2,684,662 times
that's assuming that they do go out and enjoy fireworks.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:16 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,161 times
I don't punish, so no, absolutely wouldn't do that.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I don't punish, so no, absolutely wouldn't do that.
what?!

Old 07-03-2011, 06:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
That depends. Sometimes a huge punishment really sinks in, my son once smart mouthed me, he was 10. I immediately stopped the car, told him to get out, and he could walk home.

(We were only one block from home).

But the other kids!!! Wow!!! That really made an impression. No one mouthed off to me in the car.

My son was signed up for basketball camp, and very excited about it. Then, he almost burned down our garage playing with fireworks, which he was not supposed to do.

I talked to him, and how dissapointed I was in him, and how maybe he was not mature enough to go to basketball camp, because he demonstrated how he could not handle being independent. We discussed it, and he really thought basketball camp was gone. But, he got to go, and actually really straightened up for the rest of the summer. Win win for everyone. What would have been accomplished if I had taken away basketball camp? Nothing. This way, he owned his behavior, and improved--isnt that the goal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting