Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:50 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There are entire communities of nudists, where people don't _just_ lay out naked on the beach; being unclothed is part of their lifestyle. Their kids are brought up this way, it is natural to them, the idea of wearing clothes in front of your own family and friends is weird to them.

There's nothing wrong with it, IF it is part of the lifestyle you raise your family in. I think that if the husband and daughter who -do- wear clothes in the house, have no problem with the wife and children who do -not- wear clothes in the house, then there's no problem. If either of the two are uncomfortable with the idea, then it is a problem.
This^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 07:43 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,490 times
I think it's inappropriate for an adult to be naked in front of a child. Walking around in underwear is one thing, but totally naked? Yikes!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's nothing wrong with it, IF it is part of the lifestyle you raise your family in. I think that if the husband and daughter who -do- wear clothes in the house, have no problem with the wife and children who do -not- wear clothes in the house, then there's no problem. If either of the two are uncomfortable with the idea, then it is a problem.
The fact the older daughter doesn't walk around nude is an indication that it's long past time for the mother to stop cleaning in the nude. I remember we were very casual with nudity when the children were younger. I took baths with my children. Hubby would take showers with them. As soon as children start showing modesty, it's important for the parents to respect that because when children start becoming modest, they also become equally uncomfortable with the nudity of others.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:48 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
There's no way. Gravity is not kind to middle-aged people, and it would put my teenaged son off girls for life to see his mother nekkid.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:54 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
We don't do cleaning in the nude, but I don't mind my sons sitting on the bed talking to me when I am running around my room, getting ready to go someplace. My daughter has issues w/ her Dad, she is always telling him he is a "gross fat hairy pig" and that he needs to cover up. She told him that seeing him nude has turned her off of men for life.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Frequently our two 9 year old girls and I are nude in the dressing room at the community indoor pool, in my bathroom and bedroom at shower time etc. But nobody runs around nude. I'm having a time teaching them they can't strip down in front of their father anymore either. But their father hasn't been nude in front of them for quite some time.
I can't imagine anything more uncomfortable than cleaning in the nude, but then again any kind of cleaning is uncomfortable to me!

Old 07-17-2011, 09:22 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I certainly don't mean to insinuate that I found anything sexual in this family's practice. They are a wonderful, close, happy unit. I would have expected her son to show some signs of being uncomfortable with her walking around nude, and doing it himself, well before he reached his teens.

I wonder if modesty is taught, or just innate in most people.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think it's innate in some people and needs to be taught in others. It was innate for my children. We weren't modest around them when they were younger. Once they started showing signs of modesty, we began to be more modest around them to respect their evolving sense of self.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:39 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I certainly don't mean to insinuate that I found anything sexual in this family's practice. They are a wonderful, close, happy unit. I would have expected her son to show some signs of being uncomfortable with her walking around nude, and doing it himself, well before he reached his teens.

That's a good question, Mattie. My 4 year old would happily run around in the buff all day. I have to constantly tell her to put clothes on. I don't mind personally, but I think I have to instill in her that it's not socially acceptable to run around in the alltogether, all the time.

I don't know that if I left it unchecked if she'd still be running around in the nude when she's 14.

Although, I don't tell her there's anything wrong with being nude, per se, just that people wear clothes when they grow up. And that the cable guy doesn't need to see her in all her glory.

My mother had no problem walking around in a towel for most of the evening after she got home from work. It didn't make me uncomfortable, exactly, but I looking back I think I would have preferred her to wear clothes. I think when you reach a certain age there's things about your parents that you'd rather not think about, if that makes any sense.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:51 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Starkers? Not happening in my house. We come from hearty Putitan stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting