Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:54 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I am not entirely sure if I am still considered a 'teen", but I am 18 and want to raise children now. I know how to take care of babies, know how to clean and cook, etc. I would be the perfect housewife. I talked about this to my boyfriend who is just about to finish college. Once he makes steady good income we can have children and get married.
So basically you want to rely on a man to support you and your babies? What happens if he decides to drop you like it's hot? Or worse yet, what if he dies?

Get an education. As much as I would love to have children now, at almost 20, I know that finishing up my college education will help support my children better in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 04:57 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
1000 years ago, 13yo girls were married off and it was not so long after that they were mothers.

So I would imagine that biologically they are are primed for motherhood.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:02 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
So basically you want to rely on a man to support you and your babies? What happens if he decides to drop you like it's hot? Or worse yet, what if he dies?

Get an education. As much as I would love to have children now, at almost 20, I know that finishing up my college education will help support my children better in the long run.
Well, there's nothing wrong with her and her future husband wanting to live by "traditional gender roles." If she wants to stay at home, raise babies, and take care of her husband and they're happy, what's the problem? I personally think it seems nice. But unfortunately, this way of living is out of reach for many, if not most people due to economic factors.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:10 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Well, there's nothing wrong with her and her future husband wanting to live by "traditional gender roles." If she wants to stay at home, raise babies, and take care of her husband and they're happy, what's the problem? I personally think it seems nice. But unfortunately, this way of living is out of reach for many, if not most people due to economic factors.
Yes, there is something wrong in being completely dependent on someone, ESPECIALLY a significant other, to take care of you. Maybe you don't realize this, but, divorce rates (especially for 25 and under) are extremely high. Guys leave their wives high and dry all the time, and I have seen and heard of too many cases in which an uneducated SAHM with zero work experience was left by her husband, leaving her and her children SOL.

She can get an education, have a career, work a few years, and then, when she and her husband have a HUGE savings, she can quit her job and be a SAHM, so that IF something goes wrong (divorce/abandonment or death), SHE can provide for hers without being in a bad situation.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,203 times
Quote:
Yes, there is something wrong in being completely dependent on someone, ESPECIALLY a significant other, to take care of you. Maybe you don't realize this, but, divorce rates (especially for 25 and under) are extremely high. Guys leave their wives high and dry all the time, and I have seen and heard of too many cases in which an uneducated SAHM with zero work experience was left by her husband, leaving her and her children SOL.

She can get an education, have a career, work a few years, and then, when she and her husband have a HUGE savings, she can quit her job and be a SAHM, so that IF something goes wrong (divorce/abandonment or death), SHE can provide for hers without being in a bad situation.

That's why I encourage my daughters to put off what will always be waiting for them and concentrate on getting an education and becoming self-sufficient.

I also think the impatient little boys are to a large degree weeded out by that time and they'll be have a different quality of young men courting them.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:32 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
I work with a 20 year old girl who had a daughter at 17. The father is not present in their lives, and she is a responsible mom. She has never missed a day of work, she is a full-time college student, and supports her daughter. She is pretty level headed and I know it is not very common nowadays when talking about teen moms. She learned from her mistake. (Not that her daughter was a mistake, but you know what I am saying?)

I have met people in their 20's, 30's who make HORRIBLE parents. My mother was not a teenager when she had me and my sister and she was the most horrible mother. She reminds me of Casey Anthony. All she wanted to do was party so she pawned us off on other people. She didn't raise either one of us. She was not a SINGLE mom. She was married to my dad but apparently we held her back too much or something.

While I don't think it is a good idea for a teenager to have children, I also think some adults should think twice before bringing a human being into this world.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:

but you know the mindset... "Divorce? It will NEVER happen to me! My husband LOVES me and we made a VOW!"

I could never be a SAHM. I want to accomplish things of my own and depending on someone else makes me feel extremely uneasy.

If I didn't have a job, my soon to be husband and I would be screwed right now because he got laid off when I was around 8 months pregnant and I am the the one who's keeping our heads above water. (barely)

Old 07-24-2011, 07:46 PM

Oh and before I forget...

I know a couple in their late 20's. The wife is a SAHM, the husband works like a mofo to support himself, his wife and 4 children. They can barely make ends meet, the children don't have health insurance...as a matter of fact, nobody in the family has health insurance because they cannot afford it...She always talks about how poor they are...Yet, they keep having children after children. She gave birth less than 8 months ago and she is already pregnant with her FIFTH child. All she talks about is having more babies because God wants her to. I remember her talking about feeling depressed because her "womb was still emtpy" when her youngest daughter was just 2 months old.

We are talking about 2 adults here... It sickens me. I have nothing against religion but the fact that they can barely make ends meet yet they want as many children they can have seem disturbing to me. It is just irresponsible.

She "homeschools" her children and has talked about how the oldest one (a 8 year old girl) is about 3 years behind and can barely read or write and she isn't too worried because all her daughter wants to do is be a mommy when she grows up. I understand people can do whatever they want with their lives but come on now

Old 07-24-2011, 07:52 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I work with a 20 year old girl who had a daughter at 17. The father is not present in their lives, and she is a responsible mom. She has never missed a day of work, she is a full-time college student, and supports her daughter. She is pretty level headed and I know it is not very common nowadays when talking about teen moms. She learned from her mistake. (Not that her daughter was a mistake, but you know what I am saying?)

I have met people in their 20's, 30's who make HORRIBLE parents. My mother was not a teenager when she had me and my sister and she was the most horrible mother. She reminds me of Casey Anthony. All she wanted to do was party so she pawned us off on other people. She didn't raise either one of us. She was not a SINGLE mom. She was married to my dad but apparently we held her back too much or something.

While I don't think it is a good idea for a teenager to have children, I also think some adults should think twice before bringing a human being into this world.
Good for her, I commend her.
But on some level isn't it sad that she had to give up those carefree years in her life and will there come a day when this reasserts itself in her life in a negative way?

Ditto on the older people making bad parents.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:30 PM

904 posts, read 2,874,043 times
I was a young mother. I was also married before I became pregnant. I can't understand why any woman would get pregnant before marriage. If a guy isn't willing to commit to marriage, what makes a girl think he is willing to commit to raising a child? Birth control is cheap and effective. I see no reason why we have so many out of wedlock babies. Young girls should be educated on birth control by their parents and it should be cheap and available regardless of age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting