Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:32 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,579,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Megan's Law not intended for pranksters | NJ.com

I do not think the lifelong "sex offender" status is warranted, but this is what can happen when goofing around escalates.
I disagree. Having someone held down while you pull down your pants and shove your genitals in their face is sexual assault. There is something really wrong with perverts who would do this. They need the label to warn others that they are sick individuals who don't seem to know the rules of society. Seriously, if they'll do this now, what will they do in 10 years? They, obviously, lack normal morals.

This is just sick. I can't believe anyone is defending them. This is something a 3 year old might do but not teens. They should know better than this. If they don't we need to protect our kids from them.

ICK....I wish I hadn't read this thread. Those poor kids who were held down and forced to endure this. If someone did this to my child, I'd want the book thrown at them. It's just sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 08:36 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,584,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I disagree. Having someone held down while you pull down your pants and shove your genitals in their face is sexual assault. There is something really wrong with perverts who would do this. They need the label to warn others that they are sick individuals who don't seem to know the rules of society. Seriously, if they'll do this now, what will they do in 10 years? They, obviously, lack normal morals.

This is just sick. I can't believe anyone is defending them. This is something a 3 year old might do but not teens. They should know better than this. If they don't we need to protect our kids from them.
I am not defending them as stated in my posts in this thread.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I am not defending them as stated in my posts in this thread.
14 year olds who would do something this sick are scary individuals. I can't imagine being held down while someone bares their butt and sits on my face. That is just sick on every level.

I would be watching to see what these sick SOB's do next. Teens who would do things like this hold the potential to grow up to be adults who do even sicker things. I hope the sexual offender label keeps them in check in the future. At least people know to watch out for them and keep their kids away from them.

I think the sexual offender status is the right thing to do. This is an assault with sexual overtones. I have to ask "What's next?". What will they find funny when the're 16..18..21??

Old 08-04-2012, 09:03 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,573,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
The question that keeps coming up for me is: Would some be so quick to dismiss this as "horseplay" or merely "fooling around" if these 14-year-old boys had committed the same assault against a 12-year-old girl? Somehow I highly doubt it, and I think that's a really unfair double standard and message to send young boys--that they are somehow less worthy of protecting. The victim in this scenario was the innocent boy who was held down while multiple boys put their bare buttocks, anuses and genitalia on his face. He is the victim. To him, it may have been very much an act of aggression with a sexual connotation because of the bare parts of their body the attackers chose to use. They didn't choose to put bare arms in his face, or bare ankles. They chose buttocks, anus and sexual organs. They made it into an act that could be felt by the victim as a sexual assault. This may have been a traumatic and shaming event for him, one that could require years to get over. That shouldn't be treated lightly by the law.
I agree 100% with this post.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:11 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,573,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
14 year olds are kids. They are not physically or emotionally ready for the adult world, including adult consequences. It should be punished - under a bullying statute. Lifetime sex offender registry? There should really be a minimum age to that - 16 or 18 in my opinion.
What exactly would the punishment be under a bullying statute?

Nothing.

I really find the act of shoving your bare a@@ into someone else's face to be fairly eggregious. Any 14 year old with half a brain should know this is completely unacceptable.

Obviously, the two older boys think they can get by with this. I agree with the punishment and maybe it will deter others who have the same sick idea. I agree with the poster who wonders what these two will be capable of at 16, 18, or 21 if they are allowed to continue unchecked.

I have a son and am absolutely NOT buying the 'boys will be boy's sentiment. Many types of assaults have been justified with the good ole 'boys will be boys' argument. I can assure you that 90% of normal teen-age boys are not forcibly shoving their bare ass into a younger kids face. At least not in my neck of the woods.

Yuck. I'm wondering about the standards of the boys' parents as well. What are they teaching these kids?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:31 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,502,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
2 N.J. teens labeled sex offenders for life after 'horseplay' incident | NJ.com

Basically, two 14 year old boys stuck their bare butts on two 12 year old boys faces while joking around. The boys have been charged and found guily of criminal sexual contact, which under Megan's Law requires them to register as sex offenders for the rest of their lives with all the consequences that goes with that.

My personal take is that this is ridiculous. Anyone whose been in a locker room, frat house, party, whatever has seen this happen. Heck, this is a common sibling prank. Drop the pants, butt in face of restrained or unsuspecting person, fart, hillarity ensues. There are thousands of pictures online and YouTube videos showing this exact thing.

Everytime we pass an "*insert vitcims name here* law" there are always unintended consequences, in this case two boys will be labelled as sex offenders for life over nothing more than a teenage prank.

I could understand considering this bullying and punishing for that, but to be charged with a sex crime and labelled a sex offender, ridiculous.
I agree with the law on this one ! ! ! ...

One of these days some kids will do this to some others and
they will be shot and killed for this unwanted ... unasked for crime ! ! !

Old 08-04-2012, 09:31 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,304,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
14 year olds who would do something this sick are scary individuals. I can't imagine being held down while someone bares their butt and sits on my face. That is just sick on every level.

I would be watching to see what these sick SOB's do next. Teens who would do things like this hold the potential to grow up to be adults who do even sicker things. I hope the sexual offender label keeps them in check in the future. At least people know to watch out for them and keep their kids away from them.

I think the sexual offender status is the right thing to do. This is an assault with sexual overtones. I have to ask "What's next?". What will they find funny when the're 16..18..21??
You must have never grown up with many boys then, because this sort of stupid stuff is pretty typical among them. Is it right to do? No it's not, but i think people are blowing it out of proportion by linking them to being future rapists over it.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:33 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,304,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
What exactly would the punishment be under a bullying statute?

Nothing.

I really find the act of shoving your bare a@@ into someone else's face to be fairly eggregious. Any 14 year old with half a brain should know this is completely unacceptable.

Obviously, the two older boys think they can get by with this. I agree with the punishment and maybe it will deter others who have the same sick idea. I agree with the poster who wonders what these two will be capable of at 16, 18, or 21 if they are allowed to continue unchecked.

I have a son and am absolutely NOT buying the 'boys will be boy's sentiment. Many types of assaults have been justified with the good ole 'boys will be boys' argument. I can assure you that 90% of normal teen-age boys are not forcibly shoving their bare ass into a younger kids face. At least not in my neck of the woods.

Yuck. I'm wondering about the standards of the boys' parents as well. What are they teaching these kids?
And they should be punished for it no doubt. But the thing is this will now follow them their WHOLE lives. A mistake they made as juveniles will now eliminate many professions for them.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Sorry, but I can't buy the idea that "justice" was done by destroying the lives of two 14 year olds over a prank. Punish them for what they did, of course, but what essentially amounts to a life sentence for a moment of stupidity is way over the top.
This is NOT a prank. This is an assault. An innocent kid was HELD DOWN, AGAINST HIS WILL while others rubbed their bare butts and genitalia into their faces!!!! That sounds like an assault to me. One with seriousl sexual overtones. It's sick.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
And they should be punished for it no doubt. But the thing is this will now follow them their WHOLE lives. A mistake they made as juveniles will now eliminate many professions for them.
But it should follow them. We KNOW that kids who will assault other kids grow up to be adults who will assault kids or other adults. There is a correlation between violence as a teen and violence as an adult. This was a violent assault against another person. That being the case, they need to be watched for the rest of their lives. Kids with problems like this don't get better as they get older. They get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting