Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 12:06 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Ahhh...so HE's the one talking on the phone in the doctor's waiting room, annoying everyone with oh-so-important phone calls while the rest of us try to read outdated issues of Golf Digest. Or maybe catch up on the news on smartphones..
Nope, documentation is essential in his line of work, so he'd be the one monitoring e-mails, which come by the hundreds each day. On the rare occasion he receives a phone call, he courteously leaves the room to avoid disturbing others. I love that man!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:07 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I don't know why, but these threads that inevitably end up "When I was a youngun' we did everything better and smarter than today's shallow youth" get very annoying. Times are a-changing, get on the bus, or get out of the way. Facebook, texting, smart phones, iPads, iTouches are here to stay. It may be irritating at times, but the way young people socialize now is different from how we socialized which is different to how our parents socialized, which irritated them too.
Absolutely. Several friends posted this article to facebook -
Our kids' glorious new age of distraction - Neuroscience - Salon.com

Quote:

Quote:
Back in the '80s and '90s, there were findings that suggested this new technology would be great as an education and learning tool. Then Columbine happened, and you could see all the research money go from "Wow, we’re in this new digital age and it’s going to be great for all of us" to "How is it that this digital era is destroying our kids?" It’s email, it’s the Internet, it’s video games, then when texting comes along, it’s texting, and when social networking comes along, it’s social networking. So whatever the flavor of the month in terms of new technologies are, there’s research that comes out very quickly that shows how it causes our children to be asocial, distracted, bad in school, to have learning disorders, a whole litany of things.
And then the Pew Foundation and MacArthur Foundation started saying, about three or four years ago: "Wait, wait, wait, let’s not assume these things are hurting our kids. Let’s just look at how our kids are using media and stop with testing that’s set up from a pejorative or harmful point of view. Let’s actually look at what’s happening." So we've wasted time -- but we can make it up. I think the moralistic research really, really colored over a decade of research, especially on kids.
<snip>
But any moment when there is a major new form of technology, people think it’s going to overwhelm the brain. In the 1930s there was legislation introduced to prevent Motorola from putting radios in dashboards, because it was thought that people couldn't possibly cope with driving and listening to the radio.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Nope, documentation is essential in his line of work, so he'd be the one monitoring e-mails, which come by the hundreds each day. On the rare occasion he receives a phone call, he courteously leaves the room to avoid disturbing others. I love that man!
Which would be using a smartphone no? I guess he's the only one capable of using a smartphone..smartly? It's just everyone else who is doing mindless stuff....I see.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:15 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I get my kids their own bike and a few other toys but everything else is shared. They can use the family computer and television but for safety reasons and just being able to know where they are, I get them tracfones.

I don't believe in promoting the cell phone addiction that you so commonly see. I see it in the workplace - more and more people are unable to concentrate on anything but their cell phones, it's like they'd go into withdrawals if they can't have their cell phones at least on vibrate so they know when they get the next meaningless text message.

I agree with you 100% about the addiction. I also think it is good to have shared things in a family-it promotes doing things together and actually interacting face to face with a real live person.I am pretty sure I wouldn't be buying a child an iPad but I might let them use mine on equal timing with outdoor play/sports/interaction IRL.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:15 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Many westernized countries have banned cell phone usage in cars, which I think is a good idea. Sadly some people seem unable to use good judgement in that regard. But, can you imagine the uproar if that was attempted here?
It was already implemented here, unless you're using a hands-free device... and they're even thinking of banning those in California. So far no uproar, just a whole bunch of people who ignore the law. My sister is unfortunately one of those, and did get a ticket recently when she was talking while driving - her speakerphone (integrated system) was broken, but she got it fixed after the ticket.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:19 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Many westernized countries have banned cell phone usage in cars, which I think is a good idea. Sadly some people seem unable to use good judgement in that regard. But, can you imagine the uproar if that was attempted here?
Wisconsin passed a no texting while driving law.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:45 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Which would be using a smartphone no? I guess he's the only one capable of using a smartphone..smartly? It's just everyone else who is doing mindless stuff....I see.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that I believe all users are inconsiderate boors. I have expressed my concerns about technology use by young children and adolescents in this thread, not condemned every person who carries a smartphone, tablet, or laptop. I fully understand their utility.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
I'm not sure where you got the idea that I believe all users are inconsiderate boors. I have expressed my concerns about technology use by young children and adolescents in this thread, not condemned every person who carries a smartphone, tablet, or laptop. I fully understand their utility.
I'm still a little confused. Sorry.

Do you have children?

Yesterday you told us your husband is (I'm guessing) a programmer? And you sort of implied he once worked in computer game development? (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Pretty much 100% of the computer people I know (which is a lot in various jobs) are total tech geeks. They trade. They network on what's new and where to get it cheap. They buy systems and products from their employers. And all of them have their kids set up with something. If you have children and do not let them use iPads, use the home computer for learning, whatever.... You are definitely in the minority.

Whatever floats your boat but I am really pretty surprised. (I'd also be surprised if he worked in developing games and left that for something else. But that's another thread.)

Old 08-29-2011, 12:58 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Well, perhaps I misunderstood...If so, I apologize....seemed to me people were posting that there were all kinds of things an adolescent/young person could be doing on their phones besides texting and facebook....technology has all kinds of applications, some "more important" than others....I took your response of Angry Birds to further the concept that that is what adolescents would certainly be doing, followed by what a responsible adult might be doing. You have made your feelings on cellphones and children/adolescents quite clear on various threads....just because you don't choose to have them for your children, does not make them inherently bad or mean that other people's children must be doing something mindless on it. Or, for that matter, if they (or any adult either) are, that there is something horrible and evil about doing something mindless when stuck in a doctor's waiting room for anywhere from 5-30 minutes.

If I misunderstood your point, I apologize though....

Old 08-29-2011, 01:05 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
You'd think people would embrace technology.
I agree with whoever and where this was said... it was something about you're only seeing into a small section of peoples lives and to judge them based on what you see for that split second is ridiculous.
I think the same person mentioned something about a grocery store....idk I just caught up on three threads at once and forgot exactly where I read everything.

I once got b*tched at by an older guy, and to cover my azz by older I mean older than me. He was standing in line behind me at the Wal-mart, I was with my mom, she was the one paying, she was the one doing everything with the cashier, I was just waiting for her next to her.
He made some snide comment about coming to walmart to just stand around on our phones.
I had already helped put most the groceries up on the belt, they were all up there, nothing more for me to do. And because I pull out my phone to try to text a friend to make plans because I was bored as hell at the grocery store I'm just coming to walmart to stand around and text.

I would understand if I was the one in line expected to be talking with the cashier and paying attention, I would understand if I was ignoring someone by texting on my phone but I was standing with my mom who was the one talking with the cashier.

Honestly what's there better to do? Look at the cheap toys and all the candy they line the checkout lanes with? I had to of been 18 or 19, I'm far too old to be interested in the cheap toys and candy.

That was a simple case of someone needing to mind their own damn business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting