Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:35 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times

Advertisements

My 9 year old daughter came home today and while doing her homework said that her teacher said they other day, "I go home everyday with a headache because of you kids" She also told me her teacher said, "Sometimes I wake up in the morning and don't want to come to work", what would you do? School has only been is session for 3 weeks and she is already complaining This teacher is new to this particular school this year, but not to the district and we to are new to the area. We just moved here in June from Oregon so I don't want to become known as the parent that complains, but I think these comments are innapropriate for the teacher to be saying.

I also posted this in the education forum.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:09 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
That is very sad and sorry for you that your child has to go through that. Are the teachers in Oregon in a union? If so, there probably won't be much you can do but complain to the Principal whose hands will be tied anyway. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:35 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
That sounds like something I would say (I am not a teacher btw). I would laugh then tell my child not to be one of the reasons the teacher has a headache. But then I never pussyfooted around things with my kids and never expected perfection from anyone, not my kids and not even even teachers.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:58 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
My daughter had the WORST teacher for fourth grade...the woman was hardly ever at school, and when she was there, she looked like a complete mental case, messy hair, wrinkled clothing, I have seen more put together bag ladies than this woman. I did complain to the principal, about things this woman said, did, and her abscences...every week she was gone...just to show on Friday or something....once, I scheduled a meeting with the principal about this "teacher", and her chronic issues, which were affecting my daughter's education...and the teacher, came in at 3:30, she HAD actually MISSED work that day, but came in for the meeting!!!!

And, there was not thing one I could do about it. I complained, other parents complained...I think even the principal was sick of this teacher, and her games...but that is the union...sticking up for one of their own, no matter what...even when it is obviously a teacher who should be taking care of her life, because she was obviously not fit to teach children, that was for sure. Sorry, but you may just have to deal with it...

Old 08-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That sounds like something I would say (I am not a teacher btw). I would laugh then tell my child not to be one of the reasons the teacher has a headache. But then I never pussyfooted around things with my kids and never expected perfection from anyone, not my kids and not even even teachers.
My daughter knows what our expectations are of her as far as her conduct at school, and I did tell her she better not be one of the kids talking and causing the headaches.

I don't expect perfection from the teacher but I do expect professionalism. This is only the start of the 4th week of school and if this is how she is acting now, I can only imagine what will be happening half way through the school year.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
That is very sad and sorry for you that your child has to go through that. Are the teachers in Oregon in a union? If so, there probably won't be much you can do but complain to the Principal whose hands will be tied anyway. Good luck.
We are actually in Arizona now, so not sure about the union, but most states have one. I just can't believe that considering it is only the start of the 4th week of school, she has this attitute already. How are the kids supposed to be motivated to learn if their teacher is already unmotivated to come to work.

My daughter, last year in Oregon, had to switch classes because she had a teacher that said inappropriate things to her and to others in class. I was not the only parent that had issue with this teacher, but other than one other Mom, I was the only one who went to the principal and had my daughter moved. I don't want her to have another bad experience.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My daughter had the WORST teacher for fourth grade...the woman was hardly ever at school, and when she was there, she looked like a complete mental case, messy hair, wrinkled clothing, I have seen more put together bag ladies than this woman. I did complain to the principal, about things this woman said, did, and her abscences...every week she was gone...just to show on Friday or something....once, I scheduled a meeting with the principal about this "teacher", and her chronic issues, which were affecting my daughter's education...and the teacher, came in at 3:30, she HAD actually MISSED work that day, but came in for the meeting!!!!

And, there was not thing one I could do about it. I complained, other parents complained...I think even the principal was sick of this teacher, and her games...but that is the union...sticking up for one of their own, no matter what...even when it is obviously a teacher who should be taking care of her life, because she was obviously not fit to teach children, that was for sure. Sorry, but you may just have to deal with it...
This is exactly why teacher should not get 10year after only teaching for 2 years. I read an article that stated this fact, I could not believe it. After teachers get 10year is virtually impossible to get rid of them, no matter what they do. At least this is what I have read and been told.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:20 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
I don't think the teacher should have said that, but as long as she's doing her job of teaching, I don't think there's much you can do. I know the ideal teacher is bubbly and bouncy, but some are going to be sterner, grumpier, sullen, strict, and some your kid will hate. Regardless of what the child thinks of their teacher and vice versa, they are there to learn and the teacher's job is to teach.

Bottom line, as long as this woman is doing her job, she can probably gripe and complain all she wants. If I were you, I might mention in a nice way that you feel her comments are not appropriate, and maybe if she wants the children in her class to arrive with a positive outlook and ready to learn, she could try to modify her attitude a bit. She may and she may not, but if she doesn't, I think your hands may be tied. This may just have to be a learning experience for your daughter in dealing with different, and sometimes unpleasant, personalities.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Was she close to retirement? One of the teachers I subbed for in Chicago before I got a position did this. He showed up 1 day out of 10 to keep his position, but to use up his sick days before retirement. It's criminal that this is allowed, but since they used to pay for accumulated sick days and changed the rules on people, a lot of teachers who had a lot of days accumulated did this.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
My 9 year old daughter came home today and while doing her homework said that her teacher said they other day, "I go home everyday with a headache because of you kids" She also told me her teacher said, "Sometimes I wake up in the morning and don't want to come to work", what would you do? School has only been is session for 3 weeks and she is already complaining This teacher is new to this particular school this year, but not to the district and we to are new to the area. We just moved here in June from Oregon so I don't want to become known as the parent that complains, but I think these comments are innapropriate for the teacher to be saying.

I also posted this in the education forum.

Thanks for your input.
The teacher is being unprofessional in terms of complaining to the kids. No teacher should say this to her class.

Does she have a lot of behavior problems in the class? It may be that she is having a lot of problems and can't get the help she needs to address this. That doesn't excuse her though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting