Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times

Advertisements

My dad graduated high school in 1970 and joined the Air Force in order to not be drafted. He says he wanted to join anyway since he was poor. According to him, it's a good thing he did or else he probably would have been killed in Vietnam. He's never mentioned anyone he knows being killed over there, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 06:18 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
One of my earlier memories-- and a distillation of what drove a lot of my decisions as an adult-- was standing in the kitchen drying dishes as my older sister got the news that one of her best friends was killed. Another is the change in my aunt when my uncle-- a parajumper-- went missing. (He's still listed as missing, btw. She passed away a few years ago; I like to think she's finally got her answers.)
I graduated with the first wave of refugee kids, who'd just arrived in a country whose people had bombed the snot out of theirs.
The whole hippie/Summer of Love counterculture isn't what shaped me, or what shaped the people I know. TV and radio and fashion aren't visceral. Kerouac was an easy A in Freshman English, but he wasn't visceral either. None of those are nearly as liable to stay with you as hearing your sister or your aunt scream.
I'm a Gen Xer born in the late 70s. I can identify with some of this because of the current war.

I know several men killed in this war. I agree that you can't know what it's like until you know someone who was killed in action.

As far as refugees, I know people from countries like Haiti, the Dominican Republic, China, Nigeria, Zambia and India who have immigrated to the US. In my area (NE PA) there are definite growing pains associated with blending Americans and the immigrants together. My graduating class was almost all white, save for 4 or 5 black kids. Today's classes are much more diverse.

I'm sure that your experiences are deeper and broader than mine, but I think I can "get" where you are coming from.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh yeah. My dad was outraged. He called John Lennon an arrogant snot after that "christianity" remark, lol. But, after a year or so, even he had to begrudgingly admit he liked their music.

He even came to embrace (part) of Dylan's music . . . and was a huge Simon and Garfunkle fan.

I don't agree w/ the amount of influence you are giving to Dylan as far as the Beatles' music development. I can see in later music where perhaps his poetic style inspired Lennon, in particular. Don't see it w/ George and Paul, tho.
I'm a huge Beatles fan. Even though I didn't start listening to them til the mid 90s I'm going to guess they had the same effect on me as a teen as they did the Boomers.

As for the "christianity" remark, I found it amusing how many people took that the wrong way. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:37 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm a huge Beatles fan. Even though I didn't start listening to them til the mid 90s I'm going to guess they had the same effect on me as a teen as they did the Boomers.

As for the "christianity" remark, I found it amusing how many people took that the wrong way. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Yep, folks got upset about the remark, but I got it (and interesting to note that Islam-not Christianity- is the predominate religion across the world today).

My son is a Beatles fan - and not a casual one, either. He branched out into John's catalogue years ago, as well. (Son is a Millenial).

I was surprised (but shouldn't have been) to find out recently that son has an alarm set up that plays "Here Comes the Sun" every morning, lol.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yep, folks got upset about the remark, but I got it (and interesting to note that Islam-not Christianity- is the predominate religion across the world today).

My son is a Beatles fan - and not a casual one, either. He branched out into John's catalogue years ago, as well. (Son is a Millenial).

I was surprised (but shouldn't have been) to find out recently that son has an alarm set up that plays "Here Comes the Sun" every morning, lol.
Yes, I love John's solo work as well. #9 Dream is one I could listen to over and over and over again.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, I love John's solo work as well. #9 Dream is one I could listen to over and over and over again.
OH WOW!!!! That is my son's favorite, too!

He likes "Instant Karma," too - but I think that has to do w/ the lyrics as much as anything. I agree w/ both of you that #9 Dream is a sensational piece, on all levels. It is one of my favorites, also . . . a meditative piece for me. Sometimes, tho, it makes me very sad - as I think about how he should still be with us, sharing his perspective, giving a voice to those things we listeners felt but didn't know how to express until his music/lyrics said it all.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That is so Boomer-ish I am collapsing in laughter. Or having a falshback. Hard to tell.

(Non-Boomers will not get this, of course. That's what makes it so fabulous!!)
I repped you, and all the others! Except for the establishment. Cause you know they'll just come down hard on the individuals who just want to be free. Preach on, Sista Dew!

Old 09-03-2011, 06:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Someone asked me about the Beatles concert I attended in 1964. Here is an article about it:

Beatles Press Conference: Pittsburgh 9/14/1964 - Beatles Interviews Database

Old 09-03-2011, 06:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Someone asked me about the Beatles concert I attended in 1964.
I now pronounce Katiana the coolest person on the board.

Did you scream?

I'd have screamed. I screamed for Paul last year. Yep. You can hear me on someone's Youtube video during "Live and Let Die".

(Another expression of the power of that group. Fourty plus years later and it still meant a lot to see a Beatle.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-03-2011 at 07:10 PM..

Old 09-03-2011, 06:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I now pronounce Katiana the coolest person on the board.

Did you scream?

I'd have screamed. I screamed for Paul last year. Yep. You can hear me on someone's Youtube video during "Live and Let Die".
Thanks. Yeah, I screamed. Everyone screamed. It was great!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting