Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I don't know that I would use these shoes on most children, but they would be a real help to parents of autistic wanderers. Note how many stories we see of these kids wandering off and taking many hours of worry and searching *if* they are found.
This would be a very positive use of GPS tracking.

(I can also see it being used for elderly wanderers.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 10:13 PM

970 posts, read 2,215,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
reading through the responses in this thread is pretty funny. people seem to think the idea is crazy but its perfectly normal to put chips in your pets, gps collar on your dog, lojack in your car. i guess, to those people, their dog or car are more important than their child.
Pet microchips aren't GPS trackers...they store info on the owner and get scanned by a vet or animal shelter to bring up the info. I think the human equivalent is teaching your child their name, address, and phone number. All of my pets are microchipped, since they are unable to tell people their info in case they get lost.

I think GPS tracking would be very useful for autistic wanderers who may be likely to get lost and be unable to communicate and get help from people.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:35 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,858,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This would be a very positive use of GPS tracking.

(I can also see it being used for elderly wanderers.)
We just had a silver alert the other day when a elderly woman found the car keys that were hidden from her and went for a ride - driving the wrong way down the freeway. Luckily they got her to pull over before anyone was hurt, but yes, it does make sense in that sort of situation.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:05 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,414,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Seriously, I vote, "No". Seems to me it would just instill fear in a child that the world is a dangerous place.
Well I think it would if she got into the dark specifics of why she wanted her to wear it. I'd turn it around. Make more like, "So its easier for you to know where **I** am." Rather than be like, "Wear this so YOU don't get lost."

And I wouldn't have her wear it on every trip out in public. But a trip to Disney World or Six Flags? Or you live outside a major city and decide to go into the city for the day? Not familiar with the stores/malls/vicinity? Sure, why not.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Well I think it would if she got into the dark specifics of why she wanted her to wear it. I'd turn it around. Make more like, "So its easier for you to know where **I** am." Rather than be like, "Wear this so YOU don't get lost."
This is one of the threads I've been thinking about. I'm wondering what happens when she's the only child in school who wears one. (If it's a constant thing.) How would that affect her mentally?

Just this morning there was a report that a city in AZ is going to start a GPS tracking program for older people who wander. I caught just the tale end of the report, so I didn't get all the details, but apparently the police in that city feel there is a need for it and want to run a trial pogram.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I think the human equivalent is teaching your child their name, address, and phone number.
thats wonderful, but id be more comfortable if i can just go to my child rather than counting on whoever they approach with that information. im not really sure why someone wouldnt want to have that ability. i guarantee you that everyone who has had their child kidnapped or missing for an extended period of time wished they had a gps on the child.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
GTX Corp Expands Partner Alliance in Preparation for GPS Shoe Launch | GPS Shoe Heard this on the news last night, for Alzheimer, So not a big streach to think they can get them down to kids sizes. But, Any kidnapper will stip the child naked of everything. then re-dress child in 'safe/known' clothing/shoes.
thanks for that link. i signed up to be notified when the product is available but it looks like its not going to come in child sizes. i want to get something now so i will make a decision and get the best available today and keep my eye open for something smaller, less conspicuous and more convenient.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:32 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,766,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
You do realize how rare kidnappings are, right? like, really, really rare. and have their been any instances of gps devices helping in the past? i can see several ways in which it could fail or go wrong.

no offense, but this kind of thing seems like a really horrible idea. i understand the concern, but i think all you are setting yourself up for is lots of worry on your end, and lots of trust/feeling smothered/rebellion issues later on. there have been all kinds of studies lately about how parental over-involvement and attitudes of fear and worry can really damage a child's brain and ability to take care of themselves and make rational decisions. honestly I think you need to examine your OWN attitudes of fear and worry.

I agree with you but only to a certain extent. Yes it will make the child paranoid as they grow up but that depends on how old they are when you follow them everywhere they go. At age 7-10 I could see using it for their safety but let them know and teach them not to tell anyone. After that I would stop or dare make them living their lives never really trusting anyone, including the parents and siblings. Big Brother watching, so to speak, is one thing but when singled out from everyone else and by someon (people) they know, are close to, anyone who is an authority figure in their lives, makes it way too personally violating.

Now about kidnappings. Well to me the only difference between kidnapping and being obducted, and stolen is demanding money. Millions of children disappear everyday though they aren't kidnappings, per se., but they are still missing either way and that is reason enough to want to monitor your childs every move while they are too young to fight back and truly know when not to trust. Children are taught to respect authority and they can be easily fooled we know this from what society has learned from the few who are found alive.

Maybe it's time to have all newborns micro chipped from birth. Have it downloaded to a police, FBI, missing persons site/computer or whatever and use their Social Security Number to locate the exact micro chip that belongs to them when trying to locate a child/infant that has gone missing. Had this been implanted in Jahessye Shockley, and baby Lisa they wouldn't be missing. Caylee Anthony might have been found sooner had this been done for her. I say go even further and make the chip capable of triggering an alarm to the authorities if, God I hate to say it, if a pulse is not present to indicate child is in emergency medical need.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 10-28-2011 at 10:09 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 10:25 PM

2,456 posts, read 3,223,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
Millions of children disappear everyday though they aren't kidnappings, per se., but they are still missing either way
Millions every day? Really?

Old 10-29-2011, 07:08 AM

994 posts, read 1,683,221 times
I think a leash would be more practical and cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting