Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 04:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I spent a semester in England when I was in college. The local chemist (or drugstore), which was called Boots, had liqueur-filled chocolates. I don't remember all the types, but there was Tia Maria ... something like Bailey's, I think, and a few others. You had to be 18 to buy them.

I could go for a handful of those about now.
I bet you could. You've had to be busy here today! And that's not counting other forums, cats with affinities for vents, or dealing with poop. Hopefully at least one of those things has improved for you recently...

Old 09-26-2011, 04:07 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
$80/bag would be a bargain if I could take her off or decrease her meds. She is currently on cyclosporine. My monthly vet bill could make a car payment. Not exaggerating.

The potatoes and beans would not be permanent - just a jumping off point from which we would slowly start adding back ingredients to see if we can determine "safe" foods. Once we determine that, we'll get to making decisions about the food. I just want her relatively comfy, with a coat that stays on her body at a cost I can justify.
I'm so sorry!! I thought the $80/food was bad!
Gotcha - so it's like an elimination diet kind of thing?
I hope it works out soon for you guys.

Quote:
Thanks you two..one way or another it will work out...meanwhile, please pass the bon-bons. The good ones.
*passes individual bon-bons collected while Aconite was flinging them earlier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I spent a semester in England when I was in college. The local chemist (or drugstore), which was called Boots, had liqueur-filled chocolates. I don't remember all the types, but there was Tia Maria ... something like Bailey's, I think, and a few others. You had to be 18 to buy them.

I could go for a handful of those about now.
Oh, yum. Yes, please!

Old 09-26-2011, 04:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
OK, y'all with older kids... DS8 asked very innocently in the car yesterday how girls get babies in their tummies. Are the babies in there when they are little and grow when they grow up? I don't want to scar him for life with all the info, but what is appropriate to tell an 8 year old? Is there a book for this age that you would recommend?
I'm trying to remember how we handled it with my oldest, who is 15 now. She starting asking around seven or so. (My other daughter is a year and a half younger but a special needs kid. She has never asked. My son is seven but hasn't asked yet either.)

I think we went the gentle route of saying that a man plants a seed in the woman and it grows inside of her. I don't think we said that the man and woman had to be married (i.e., "When a man and woman are married, sometimes the man ..."), but I'm pretty sure I said something like "Sometimes when grownups love each other." That is, of course, an oversimplification but for smaller children I think it's OK to indicate this is a "grownup"/far-off event. If your son asks how the seed gets inside the woman, you can tell him the plain truth or answer that it's something you will tell him more about when he gets older.

You just have to judge your child and what is TMI.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I'm so sorry!! I thought the $80/food was bad!
Gotcha - so it's like an elimination diet kind of thing?
I hope it works out soon for you guys.

*passes individual bon-bons collected while Aconite was flinging them earlier*

Oh, yum. Yes, please!
Yes - an elimination diet is exactly what it is. We were first discussing a trip to the doggie dermatologist for allergy testing. After lots of discussion we ended up deciding to look at her food first. Food is frequently an allergen for dogs and GR's are a particularly susceptible breed when it comes to allergies and skin issues. I felt given her breed and the fact that she's always been itchy to some extent, and it doesn't seem to be seasonal, I'd just as soon start with the least pricey and more probable route. It will be a bit of an adjustment for us. I'll have to start cooking batches of food for her once or twice a week and we'll have to eliminate treats other than carrots....It will be a long process but she is only 5 years old. The thought of continually medicating her to the extent we've been doing (and at that expense) really needs to be a last resort.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Sorry MM.

When we had The World Famous Murphy we did a lot of "justifying". Hugs and booze filled bonbons. (Which I actually have in the fridge. Feel free to come on over.)

Old 09-26-2011, 04:16 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,960,461 times
I remember Boots. Boots was awesome. I could go for some too. Got any non alcoholic ones?

How about some of the cake filled ones MrsX was talking about? Hmmm - how about Red Velvet Bob Bons?

My brain is totally zonked, I have put in too much futile effort today.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:17 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
... cats with affinities for vents, or dealing with poop. Hopefully at least one of those things has improved for you recently...
My husband fixed the sink cupboard yesterday, so the big vent is covered up! We are still looking for the vent cover for the laundry room wall. I don't know what the heck happened to it.

And it's been pleasantly poop-free here. (Except for the cats, who don't stop pooping for anybody.)

Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 PM

Volunteers to remove the alcohol from said bon-bons just especially for FR. I'll wipe my lips with antiseptic wipes first so it'll be ok...

Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Still a cat-puke fest here.

Sorry about Macie. I hope you figure out what's going on.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:19 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
Quote:
Yes - an elimination diet is exactly what it is. We were first discussing a trip to the doggie dermatologist for allergy testing. After lots of discussion we ended up deciding to look at her food first. Food is frequently an allergen for dogs and GR's are a particularly susceptible breed when it comes to allergies and skin issues. I felt given her breed and the fact that she's always been itchy to some extent, and it doesn't seem to be seasonal, I'd just as soon start with the least pricey and more probable route. It will be a bit of an adjustment for us. I'll have to start cooking batches of food for her once or twice a week and we'll have to eliminate treats other than carrots....It will be a long process but she is only 5 years old. The thought of continually medicating her to the extent we've been doing (and at that expense) really needs to be a last resort.
Oh, man! I didn't realize she's so young, also. Ah, see on the Thread That Must Not Be Named no one lists cooking special food for the dog on the list of household activities!! I really hope you find something that works. Hugs, bon-bons, and a tiara while we're at it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting