Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 07:15 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
That seems ridiculously excessive.
Holy moly! I just read Calgirls post through you and that is excessive. And here I was moaning to Mr. X about eating at Chili's for toddler X's fundraiser for school.

Calgirl, is this the first year for you with this school and if it is not was the fundraising the same or it seems this year to be too much?

Old 09-26-2011, 07:16 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Yep, you guys are right. It's ok. I just feel personally dissed - I don't know why it bothers me, but for people to make all those assumptions just gets my goat. I worked so hard my whole life to dispel all those ridiculous notions and stereotypes about women (not that that's why I did it, but I really had to go a few places no women had been before - just like many of you and our mothers have) and I can't stand that there are women who behave this way. I cannot stand it. It makes me very very angry.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:24 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,198,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yep, you guys are right. It's ok. I just feel personally dissed - I don't know why it bothers me, but for people to make all those assumptions just gets my goat. I worked so hard my whole life to dispel all those ridiculous notions and stereotypes about women (not that that's why I did it, but I really had to go a few places no women had been before - just like many of you and our mothers have) and I can't stand that there are women who behave this way. I cannot stand it. It makes me very very angry.
I think some people just need to tell themselves fairy tales to be able to sleep at night. And others of us do not.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Fin breathe deep and think...there are only a minority of women that think that way.

Hugs and smooches. I'll meet you in Philly for a cheesesteak and bon bons.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Fin breathe deep and think...there are only a minority of women that think that way.

Hugs and smooches. I'll meet you in Philly for a cheesesteak and bon bons.
Thank you. I need a cheesesteak and a bon bon. Oh boy, it's a good thing I don't have a few Glenfiddich's under my belt at this moment.

Or I'd be tempted to tell someone what I really think they're 'modeling' for their daughters.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:32 PM

I have read through that thread and I feel it should have been closed several pages back. As a sahm I find a lot of things offensive. I do not reply to the thread because it is unnecessary stress to me. Sometimes we just have to take a step back and think to ourselves is it really worth me getting upset over?

Old 09-26-2011, 07:35 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
Quote:
I totally get that. It does seem worse, to me, when that type of stereotyping comes from another woman.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much - if she was really cool with her own decisions, she wouldn't be hanging her raison d'etre on a (highly over-interpreted) meta-analysis. You'd think someone who values science so much would be aware of the limitations of conclusions that can be drawn from a meta-analysis. But don't listen to me and all my fancy degrees, I'm just a SAHM whose daughter will grow up barefoot and pregnant because that's what I model.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I totally get that. It does seem worse, to me, when that type of stereotyping comes from another woman.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much - if she was really cool with her own decisions, she wouldn't be hanging her raison d'etre on a (highly over-interpreted) meta-analysis. But don't listen to me and all my fancy degrees, I'm just a SAHM whose daughter will grow up barefoot and pregnant because that's what I model.
Toddler X is walking around barefoot and saying Daddy I am pregnant, the belly hurts, can't pick up toys. I am a great role model

Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I have read through that thread and I feel it should have been closed several pages back. As a sahm I find a lot of things offensive. I do not reply to the thread because it is unnecessary stress to me. Sometimes we just have to take a step back and think to ourselves is it really worth me getting upset over?
You're right of course. I've calmed down a bit. Silly what sets us off sometimes, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post

Methinks the lady doth protest too much - if she was really cool with her own decisions, she wouldn't be hanging her raison d'etre on a (highly over-interpreted) meta-analysis. You'd think someone who values science so much would be aware of the limitations of conclusions that can be drawn from a meta-analysis. But don't listen to me and all my fancy degrees, I'm just a SAHM whose daughter will grow up barefoot and pregnant because that's what I model.
Bwahhaha! Thanks for the giggle. LME should watch out, after all, from the moment you stepped into your 'traditional gender role' it was all for naught, don'tcha know.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
You're right of course. I've calmed down a bit. Silly what sets us off sometimes, no?

Bwahhaha! Thanks for the giggle. LME should watch out, after all, from the moment you stepped into your 'traditional gender role' it was all for naught, don'tcha know.
No not silly. I know how you feel. I am particularly passionate about health care and abortion but rarely do I ever tread in those forums or threads. People are set in their ways and beliefs never do they listen to the other party in a rational manner or change until an actual experience happens to them.

I'll send you a dm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting