Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 08:57 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times

Advertisements

Good morning all...Beautiful day here. Much like it was 10 years ago. Cool, sunny, calm. Sending good thoughts and prayers out today to all who need them.

I remember at some point during that day, receiving a phone call from my father, confirming he was fine. He lived in a suburb of DC at the time and I hadn't realized that his job called for him to be in the Pentagon frequently. He lost some friends/coworkers that day.

I just was outside and saw 2 F-16s flying overhead. Still gives me pause.

Take care everyone.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Remember how ten years ago people thought it was weird to have online friends?
Hubby said they were fake people.

Quote:
I belonged-- still do-- to an online discussion group (also spun off from AOL, oddly enough) with several members in the NYC area and one whose husband worked at the Pentagon. We spent the day in a frenzy of trying to locate people.
Not odd. AOL was THE WAY to be on the internet back then.

Quote:
I was living in podunk at the time, and it all felt completely unreal. Still does, really, on a certain level.
It looked like a movie. I'm desensitized, I guess, from violence in media.

If I hadn't shared my friend's experience while it was happening, I probably wouldn't be able to relate on any level.

We also had the problem of knowing that the other plane was heading for Pittsburgh. I desperately tried to reach my sister to get her out of the skyscraper she worked in.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I remember at some point during that day, receiving a phone call from my father, confirming he was fine. He lived in a suburb of DC at the time and I hadn't realized that his job called for him to be in the Pentagon frequently. He lost some friends/coworkers that day.
I'm so sorry your father lost friends. I'm so glad you didn't lose your father.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:14 AM

Time to finish my laundry and fight STINK BUGS.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:21 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Laundry. sigh...

I knew there was something specific I needed to do today.

That and cookies. I'd best get in the shower and get moving.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:47 AM

970 posts, read 2,214,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I have.
I went to look at one place yesterday.

It add about another 10 minutes onto my drive to work. Its with 3 other people. Its in a house, I'd get my own room and access to a bathroom that I really wouldn't share with anyone else.

But they all seem a lot younger than I am. They want someone 22 or younger, they all seem to be about 18-20.

I don't think it would really work out.
Our current roommate is 5 years younger than myself and the husband (21 vs. 26) and we have zero problems with the age difference.

Ten years ago I had just gotten up (west coast) and was getting ready for high school. We always had the news turned on in the morning so we saw the second plane hit.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:30 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
On Piers Morgan (hate him), I saw a fascinating interview of Howard Lutnick, CEO of Cantor Fitzgerald. He is an amazing person. His firm was located on the floors hit by a plane. He lost almost 700 employees, many of them friends and family because the firm encouraged nepotism.

The firm was stuck with 58 million in securities that needed to be sold quickly or the banks wouldn't let him try to rebuid the business. He and the remaining employees worked 24/7, sleeping on cots with only 4 hours sleep. Within a month, they sold those securities and got the firm financially stable enough to send 40 million dollars to the families of the employees who died. He continued to pay them 20% of his company profits for 5 years.

The only reason he and his employees went back to work immediately, the next day after 9/11, was to work to support the families of their coworkers who died. He said to them on the phone the night of 9/11, "Listen. We can go to 20 funerals a day for the next 30 days or we can try to rebuild this company so we can take care of their families." They chose going back to work for the families.

I was just very touched by this man, this wealthy man who could have walked away and started a new life, but he chose to work hard to take care of the families. Turns out he and his siblings were orphaned as teens. Extended family had avoided them, didn't take them in their homes. That's why he felt so strongly about taking care of those families.

I'm not doing the interview justice. It's definately worth watching if it airs again.
Thanks for posting this. I remember him being vilified by some family members of people who were lost that day because he stopped paying their salary a few weeks (?) later. He went on TV crying and said they were trying to rebuild and had to stop paying in order to do that. I hope those family members have had a change of heart.

After getting to work, I spent the rest of the day trying to reach my best friend from college. She worked on capitol hill. Her building was evacuated, and she was safe at home. She drove past the Pentagon on her way to and from work and mentioned the increased military security presence there after that day.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:32 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
My plan for the day just changed. Trying to bend DS's glasses back into shape, I broke them The good news is, I purchased the protection plan, and can get a brand new pair for $25. So, we're heading to Lens Crafters this pm.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Morning all. Just a quick hello.

I slept through everything. My dad had died suddenly a few weeks before 9/11, I'd been ill that summer, and no one wanted to wake me up to tell me. My sister finally did.

My thoughts and prayers to everyone who lost a loved one that day.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I remember him being vilified by some family members of people who were lost that day because he stopped paying their salary a few weeks (?) later. He went on TV crying and said they were trying to rebuild and had to stop paying in order to do that. I hope those family members have had a change of heart.
Yes, they have. It was touching. He said he was racked through the coals because they didn't trust him. I can understand their feelings at the time---he was withholding the paycheck the victim employees had already earned prior to dying. He said they didn't utter one complaint after he distributed the first 40 million a month later. Powerful when you consider that he didn't he didn't owe them a penny more than their one last paycheck. Even moreso when considering he continued to pay them 20% of company profits for the next five years. I'm so glad I didn't change the channel when Piers Morgan came on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting