Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,906,669 times

Advertisements

Soap.

Liquid or bar, works the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 12:42 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,276,680 times
My sweet little angelic looking son was fairly non verbal at 2 or so. He was and still is tiny for his size and he often envokes the big eyed puss-in-boots response from people. He was a favorite in the daycare facility and would get special treatment from the caregivers (more attention, cute little outfits, etc). He was quite the favorite there.

So this lovely little boy looks at his caregiver and with perfect ennunciation calls her an f***ing b****, the whole place was horrified and I immediately got a call. I had to explain to them that yes I cuss at times but those are not the words they would hear around my house. As they investigated, they found that another little boy was freely using those terms and I was off the hook. I was mortified though. Couldn't the kid at least have learned some other nice words to say. At least I knew at that point that he could talk, lol.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:44 PM

13,474 posts, read 9,991,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Soap.

Liquid or bar, works the same.
I'm going to assume you were jesting, but in the event that you weren't, or that someone thinks it's ok -

Quote:
Basic Liquid Soap Ingredients

• Liquid dishwashing soap, liquid detergent and liquid hand soap include the following ingredients: abrasives, alkalis, antimicrobial agents, antiredeposition, bleaches, colorants, corrosion inhibitors, enzymes, fragrances, hydrotropes, opacifiers, preservatives, processing aids, solvents and suds control agents.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,906,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm going to assume you were jesting, but in the event that you weren't, or that someone thinks it's ok -
That is a list of things that they may contain, not that they do contain. That description appears to be for detergents or cleaners, not hand soaps. Not that you should stick hand soaps in your kids mouth, but this looks like a scare tactic. Many of those smae ingredients are in toothpaste (along with Flouride - a poison). Some soaps have only three or four ingredients. Mostly water and glycerin which are things that we ingest daily. If I get a cut, the first thing I do is wash it out with soap. That is much more direct than sticking it in your mouth. Heck, you can actually eat soap to survive if you are starving.

I was joking, but that sounds pretty safe compared to some of the things our kids have stuck in their mouths over the years. Heck we even allowed them to put coca cola and worse yet Mountain Dew in their mouths. You think soap is bad - look up what is in mountain dew.

Our kids at times have picked up and tasted or eaten:
Soap
Dog poo
Batteries.
Pennies.
Mud
Goose Poo
Rabbit poo
rocks.
crayons.
Paint.
magic marker.
steel wool
a piece of broken glass
flouride treated water.
sticks
A black gooey thing that the found on a trail.
Their toes.
The Dog's tail
My Cockatoo's beak
Vicks Vapor Rub
Snail
Owl Pellet
A rotting apple
ABC Gum
Dead bugs

I am undoubtedly forgetting a dozen more even more awful things. Frankly it woudl not bother me if someone put soap int heir kids mouth as a lesson. Soap contains the same things now as it did when I was a kid and I certainly did my time sitting with a bar of soap in my mouth. As far as I can tell, I am still alive.

BTW. Coke is really good at removing rust from metal and eating through plugged drains, but it might damage the pipes.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 10-07-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 01:10 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,202,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Who you praise to all your friends as the smartest most loving caring child, who never gives you a gray hair, nor does something wrong, says at thanksgiving dinner he/she would love it if you passed the ********** mashed potatos. Whatever do you do as a modern 21st century parent?
Tell little Beelzebubbette that she may not have anymore potatoes until she finishes her %^&%*&! green beans.

On a more serious note, dd has abused her privilege of unlimited access to the English language, and has become the first of my kids to experience word restriction. So currently, I'd be most likely to say "Reset. Ask again, nicely."

Old 10-07-2011, 01:34 PM

438 posts, read 1,732,075 times
One day when my daughter was 3, I was running for the phone and stepped on a lego. I generally don't curse and let out 'God d@mn it!'. DD doesn't repeat my phrase and I think I'm in the clear.

Then we're driving with husband & his parents (very Catholic mind you) and husband hits the brakes hard. DD yells out from her carseat 'God d@mn it! Right, mom?' I think the in-laws have been praying for me ever since! lol!

Old 10-07-2011, 01:47 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,740,878 times
Funny thread. My sons Kindergarten teacher had a really embarassing moment at a school function and I really wish I had it on tape. They were singing the "Name Game" and all was going well until they got to little Tucker...Tucker, Tucker bo bucker banana fana fo fuc....you get the idea. All the parents got a good laugh, the teacher looked mortified and the kids thought it was the greatest thing ever. I still catch my son singing it from time to time.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:15 PM

13,474 posts, read 9,991,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is a list of things that they may contain, not that they do contain. That description appears to be for detergents or cleaners, not hand soaps. Not that you should stick hand soaps in your kids mouth, but this looks like a scare tactic. Many of those smae ingredients are in toothpaste (along with Flouride - a poison). Some soaps have only three or four ingredients. Mostly water and glycerin which are things that we ingest daily. If I get a cut, the first thing I do is wash it out with soap. That is much more direct than sticking it in your mouth. Heck, you can actually eat soap to survive if you are starving.

I was joking, but that sounds pretty safe compared to some of the things our kids have stuck in their mouths over the years. Heck we even allowed them to put coca cola and worse yet Mountain Dew in their mouths. You think soap is bad - look up what is in mountain dew.

Our kids at times have picked up and tasted or eaten:
Soap
Dog poo
Batteries.
Pennies.
Mud
Goose Poo
Rabbit poo
rocks.
crayons.
Paint.
magic marker.
steel wool
a piece of broken glass
flouride treated water.
sticks
A black gooey thing that the found on a trail.
Their toes.
The Dog's tail
My Cockatoo's beak
Vicks Vapor Rub
Snail
Owl Pellet
A rotting apple
ABC Gum
Dead bugs

I am undoubtedly forgetting a dozen more even more awful things. Frankly it woudl not bother me if someone put soap int heir kids mouth as a lesson. Soap contains the same things now as it did when I was a kid and I certainly did my time sitting with a bar of soap in my mouth. As far as I can tell, I am still alive.

BTW. Coke is really good at removing rust from metal and eating through plugged drains, but it might damage the pipes.
Liquid hand soap does indeed potentially contain those ingredients. Putting liquid soap in a kids' mouth is a really stupid idea. Who checks the label first?

I got hit by a car once, I'm still alive, does that mean it's not potentially harmful to get hit by a car?

And again:

Quote:
Liquid dishwashing soap, liquid detergent and liquid hand soap include the following ingredients: abrasives, alkalis, antimicrobial agents, antiredeposition, bleaches, colorants, corrosion inhibitors, enzymes, fragrances, hydrotropes, opacifiers, preservatives, processing aids, solvents and suds control agents.
Quote:
Additionally, soaps and detergents can have potentially harmful results, especially if swallowed, including vomiting, diarrhea, irritation of the lining of the mouth and digestive tract, and in rare instances, pulmonary aspiration.
I realize you were joking, so there's no need to post a list of other things you may have ingested and survived the effects of. There's a difference between a kid ingesting stupid stuff of their own accord, and their parent sticking potentially toxic substances into their mouths as some kind of idiotic punishment. If the soaps we used when I was 10 are the same as the liquid soaps today, I'll eat my hat (I don't know if it's toxic or not ).

And you're actually the one that said liquid or bar.

Ok, PSA over.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:17 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,205,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Who you praise to all your friends as the smartest most loving caring child, who never gives you a gray hair, nor does something wrong, says at thanksgiving dinner he/she would love it if you passed the ********** mashed potatos. Whatever do you do as a modern 21st century parent?
Cringe and know that he got it from me.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:49 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,868,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Cringe and know that he got it from me.
Blame his father
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting