Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 03:49 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times

Advertisements

... And I find it interesting how these defenders, whoever they are... aren't even active members of this board. They all have 1-2 posts. What are they doing here and how did they find this anyway? Do they scour Google nightly making sure no one talks bad about their friends' very public vlogging life?
Okay if we were called out by a regular posting member of this board who happens to be a friend? Fair enough. But that's clearly not the case....

Old 12-17-2011, 07:44 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
I don't think so. I have four boys, one whom is a Type I diabetic. He is also an identical twin. If this boys behavior was in anyway related to the Diabetes it would've changed drastically as soon as he was diagnosed and on insulin therapy. I do know my son gets agitated and cross when his sugars are low or high but not to an extent that its out of the norm. She seems to be an over-protective mother with maybe a bit of munchousens (sp?). This is also something that I have noticed about moms of Diabetic children, the need to protect more than usual. My husband and I took the "live with it and don't let it control your life, you control it" idea which worked out best for us. The main thing that this mom needs to understand is that diabetes is not a death sentence, it's the gravel road in life instead of the smooth highway.
Magoomafoo, have you heard of Dr Bernstein and "The Diabetes Solution"? I would be curious of your thoughts if you have.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:27 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecp11 View Post
Amy is a college-educated speech therapist. She invests a lot of time and energy into her sons, so Henry speaks amazingly well for his age. Honestly, sometimes it can be offputting or jarring to see such a small, young child produce sophisticated and advanced sentences but only in the same way that it's jarring to see a child music prodigy perform at a level above the standard for their age. But most importantly, I think it's fantastic that Henry's speech has never seemed forced or dragged from him - Amy obviously is fantastically capable of encouraging 'developmental play'. On youtube this is in stark contrast to the many other mums who are 'homeschooling' their toddlers and making misguided attempts to set aside formal 'lesson' time - with no education themselves on how to properly conduct them.

From the FEW insights we have into their lives, it seems that Amy and her husband are both well educated, calm, prepared, caring and nuturing people. Importantly, they also seem to be on the same page in terms of parenting and what they value. I think Henry is extraordinarily lucky to be raised in a home with a LOVING family, who don't care about material things as much as they value family time and a secure environment.

As for her choice to youtube, I don't believe that just because someone chooses to participate it means they've signed off on constant public scrutiny and criticism. That's like saying people who want to act in movies HAVE to put up with paparazzi invasions into all aspects of their life. Amy obviously feels a sense of community and enjoyment in the youtube community - and why wouldn't she. In this day in age it's not uncommon to develop and maintain friendships online. If I was a SAHM it would be something I'd consider for sure, because there is a connection to the outside world, other mums and it all happens when you want it and can access it - unlike other play/ coffee dates. However, it is also blantanly obvious that Amy has a life outside youtube - in fact it seems youtube is a TINY TINY fragment of her active, 'real'-community-based life.

As for the RIDICULOUS 'diagnosis' of austism/ aspergers, grow up. In the first instance, NONE of you are qualified, invited or welcomed to make a diagnosis. Second, I'm sure if we all sat down with our parents and questionned them indepthly about our childhood/ toddler years, they could all tell stories in which we displayed 'markers' of specturm disorders. Finaly, even IF (IIIIIFFFFFF!) Henry, or any other child with his social, emotional, speech and creative intellegence were 'diagnosed', there's nothing to indicate he would lead anything but a normal, productive, healthy life. As MANY MANY MANY other people have done in history before formal spectrum disorder diagnoses.

Amy (and Andy) is an incredible, invested, caring but not overpowering mother who has a good head on her shoulders. She is well educated, well placed in her community to seek help/ advice if she wants it, and comes from a loving, caring stable background herself. You (and your children) can only hope for the same yourselves.
Welcome to City Data!

Last edited by JustJulia; 12-19-2011 at 11:36 AM..

Old 12-17-2011, 05:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecp11 View Post
As for her choice to youtube, I don't believe that just because someone chooses to participate it means they've signed off on constant public scrutiny and criticism. That's like saying people who want to act in movies HAVE to put up with paparazzi invasions into all aspects of their life.
Umm. Yes it does. She posts on Youtube and someone else posts it pretty much anywhere they want. Such as here. Where all kinds of people can comment. Even people who call each other morons.

And, yeah, actors HAVE to put up with the paps. Pretty much their only defense is to A) not go anywhere, or, B) Get a restraining order that Named Paparazzi has to stay at least 200 feet from Star X. The paps can still use a telephoto lens but with the restraining order they aren't able to shove their camera in Star X's face. (Quick lesson in case anyone should ask. )

Last edited by JustJulia; 12-19-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 12-17-2011, 05:56 PM

11 posts, read 10,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
... And I find it interesting how these defenders, whoever they are... aren't even active members of this board. They all have 1-2 posts. What are they doing here and how did they find this anyway? Do they scour Google nightly making sure no one talks bad about their friends' very public vlogging life?
Okay if we were called out by a regular posting member of this board who happens to be a friend? Fair enough. But that's clearly not the case....
Um, no. Actually, the way we found out about it is because someone on this forum (who IS an active member) went on her videos and told her about it! She said that she had found the videos from this site! So, OP, GOOD JOB!

I sit here and read about what you all say and all I can say is yes, you are entitled to your opinion but let's just say that it was your decision to make videos and you were reading the things that are being said about your family, your parenting skills but most of all, your kids. In my opinion, say what you want about Amy. She is a grown woman and she can take criticism and she can defend herself. What I've seen about you all talking about her children, though, is EXTREMELY uncalled for! They are innocent children. (So Amy wants to share very small snippets of her life with other parents who might be in the same situation...I mean, we are in the year 2011...whoever heard of social media???!?!?!?!?!?!?!)

And Minnesconsinite, you're right. I'm not a person who posts on this site and yes I feel the need to defend my friend because whilst you have your opinion, it doesn't make it right. After all that I've read here, I wouldn't WANT to be an avid part of this community. Seems like a bunch of judgmental women who think they know it all and think they need to get on here and critique parenting styles, innocent children, among other things. Sometimes it's better to keep your opinions to yourself! Maybe you were never taught, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!"

Old 12-17-2011, 06:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingteacher View Post
They are innocent children.
Yes, they are!

They are innocent children who have had their privacy taken away by a mother who wants (for her own reasons) the world to look at them. (And, I strongly suspect, her.) If you think that's healthy for the children then I don't know what to say to you.

I don't give a flying fig about this woman. She could dance naked in Times Square for all I care and post that. I do care about the privacy of little kids. Specifically little kids who may have a medical condition or be special needs. Who will grow into adults who had their most private moments taken away from them because the parent wanted to "share". You want to share? Use a puppet.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes, they are!

They are innocent children who have had their privacy taken away by a mother who wants (for her own reasons) the world to look at them. (And, I strongly suspect, her.) If you think that's healthy for the children then I don't know what to say to you.

I don't give a flying fig about this woman. She could dance naked in Times Square for all I care and post that. I do care about the privacy of little kids. Who will grow into adults who had their most private moments taken away from them because the parent wanted to "share". You want to share? Use a puppet.
They are HER children and she can SHARE what she wants about them and I, for one among many, don't give a "flying fig" about what you have to say for HER choices! I'm sure you post pictures and share things on this very forum about your life choices, your children (GASP! HOW COULD YOU DARE SHARE THINGS ABOUT YOUR CHILDREN!), and your parenting skills! How is it ANY different to share a video over sharing on PUBLIC forums? So you show your child's face? Who WOULDN'T be proud of sharing their children?! Someone who is ashamed? It's not like she started making videos for the world to look at them. She made them for people like her. For those parents who could use some advice and to have a sense of "community" which helps when you are a stay at home mother! And how is she sharing their "Most private moments"? She shares them singing, talking, having fun family outings and sometimes sharing what difficulties comes with being the mother of a toddler and newborn!

I can't believe how you women on this board act and talk about other people! "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Isn't the golden rule, "Treat people how you want to be treated"? Did you not learn this in Kindergarten? I mean, it's never too late...

Old 12-17-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes, they are!

I don't give a flying fig about this woman. She could dance naked in Times Square for all I care and post that. I do care about the privacy of little kids. Specifically little kids who may have a medical condition or be special needs. Who will grow into adults who had their most private moments taken away from them because the parent wanted to "share". You want to share? Use a puppet.
And her sharing her life experiences, children, and other things is NO DIFFERENT from what you share here! It's just a different way of sharing!

Old 12-17-2011, 06:19 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,490 times
Sorry, when you put yourself and your family on display for the whole world to see, you ARE inviting opinions, judgement and criticism. If you don't like it, then keep your private life, private.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Sorry, when you put yourself and your family on display for the whole world to see, you ARE inviting opinions, judgement and criticism. If you don't like it, then keep your private life, private.
Like I said, how is her sharing her stuff any different from what you share on this PUBLIC forum that the world could also see?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting