Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 11:17 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,733,999 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with my children going without material things that they don't "need". They, when they're young, may think they "need" these things. I, as an adult, know the difference between wants and needs. If my children have wants, they have always been welcome to take on additional chores or odd jobs for others, in order to earn the money for those wants. It teaches children the value of a dollar.

Last edited by beachmel; 10-28-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 04:11 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,154,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
How old fashioned.

I can remember one of my high school classmates buying candy at bulk prices and reselling it at a 50% markup to the rest of us. He now owns half of downtown. Just an tremendously successful man. There's something to be said about starting small and having a plan and a lot of gumption.
Kinda makes you wonder where they might be today if their mom and dad bought them everything under the sun, doesn't it?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:12 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,979,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
HER moochiness!!!!???? You are living there rent free and you are saying SHE is mooching off of you by not buying you salt to melt snow and ice?!
HER mother pays all her bills, as well as one of her friends sends her money.
Yes, she is a mooch.

And I never asked her buy salt, I just said I wasn't going to buy it, I'm not going to waste my money on it, I rather save for my apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Do I recall that you live there for free? Your mom buys you a new COMPUTER and new UGGS which are massively expensive. And you call her a mooch?
It didn't cost her any less when I moved out. With the amount of time I actually spend here, the electricity and stuff doesn't change. Right now is the first time in the past two days that I have actually been home and I'm about to shower and spend the night somewhere else.

Plus she never bought me my laptop. I got this at semester of senior year when I graduated half way through the year from a family friend.
And the UGGS were given to me in high school at christmas from one of my grandparents.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
HER mother pays all her bills, as well as one of her friends sends her money.
Yes, she is a mooch.

And I never asked her buy salt, I just said I wasn't going to buy it, I'm not going to waste my money on it, I rather save for my apartment.

It didn't cost her any less when I moved out. With the amount of time I actually spend here, the electricity and stuff doesn't change. Right now is the first time in the past two days that I have actually been home and I'm about to shower and spend the night somewhere else.

Plus she never bought me my laptop. I got this at semester of senior year when I graduated half way through the year from a family friend.
And the UGGS were given to me in high school at christmas from one of my grandparents.
Who CARES who pays your mother's bills. That's really none of your concern. You're the one who was saying you were going to SUE your mother if you slipped and fell at HER house, where you're living rent free.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:42 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,979,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Who CARES who pays your mother's bills. That's really none of your concern. You're the one who was saying you were going to SUE your mother if you slipped and fell at HER house, where you're living rent free.
Yeah she's the one giving me hazardous parking options.
I don't have time to salt the drive way and scrape it off.
Plain and simple I offered her a cleaned out and organized garage in turn for a spot in the garage.
I'd be working for it not getting it handed to me. So you know what? Go fly a kite while pounding sand.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:20 AM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why is it sad? It is more cost effective and environmentally friendly to publish newsletters online than to publish them on paper. Things change. That does not mean they are sad.
Ah, it's a little sad when paper has meant a lot to you. Books are going to the way of the dinosaur, and while someday I'll probably switch to electronic books, too, I'm going to continue to enjoy the feel and look and smell of a real book printed on paper while I can!

It is sad for the newsletter publisher to whom you are replying, because that has been her business for so long.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:28 AM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
OK...Christmas is around the corner. What type of presents will you buy your kids this year?
My only is 20 and at college in a foreign country where they don't have Christmas (she says they do have some commercial nods toward the western holiday, such as store decorations with Santa Claus, etc.)

So, for the first time ever, I won't see my child for Christmas. Wah.

Anyway, I'll just put some money into her account for traveling, but she did say she wants socks, so I'm going to send her some socks. Which will be horribly expensive to ship, but I want her to have something to open up from me on December 25th!

She also wants peanut butter and chocolate, both of which are available in China but their versions suck and don't taste right.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Yeah she's the one giving me hazardous parking options.
I don't have time to salt the drive way and scrape it off.
Plain and simple I offered her a cleaned out and organized garage in turn for a spot in the garage.
I'd be working for it not getting it handed to me. So you know what? Go fly a kite while pounding sand.
Blind and selfish as you are, you fail to see that "hazardous" or not, you still have parking options. You also fail to see that your mother, in no way, is obligated to allow you to wade through and handle her things, in order for you to park in HER garage. Get over it. While I'm flying my kite and pounding my sand, I'd suggest you invest in some salt and get your butt out there, the next time it snows, to scrape and salt. Of course, it's much easier to simply stomp your feet and expect everyone to do it your way.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Kinda makes you wonder where they might be today if their mom and dad bought them everything under the sun, doesn't it?
He came from a very working class family. If he wanted something extra he had to buy it himself so he certainly had the incentive to make something of himself. (He's also a very nice guy and a family man which is the perfect icing on the cake.)

Old 10-29-2011, 09:37 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,322,993 times
When my parents were alive they bought me a special bathrobe for Christmas every year. (This was their one and only present to me except for the wonderful Christmas meal they cooked for me and the rest of the family.)...My parents knew that I loved bathrobes and they knew my taste and style in clothes really well. And they also knew that I might settle for a "tattered bathrobe" once in awhile because I had kids to support on my own and I didn't always spend money on myself...One year they bought me a bathrobe that became my "all time favorite" of all! Without telling me they went out and bought an exact duplicate of the bathrobe I loved so much and put it away until the following Christmas. This way I'd still have a back-up when my first one wore out. What a nice surprise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting