Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 02:39 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times

Advertisements

The princess phase only lasted about two years in our household. It had a lot more to do with pretty dresses than any deeper meaning.

I wish I could keep her interested in princesses. I'm much more concerned about the role models that MTV and network tv are putting forward for my daughter than I am about sweet Ariel

ETA not that I let her watch that junk but its out there all the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 02:41 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Some disney princess lessons from a man's perspective :

<snip>
I LOL'ed because I assumed you meant this as tongue in cheek. If you didn't, I'll come back and yell later.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:37 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Or dolls they just think are pretty. I remember being seven and asking Granny Aconite for a black Barbie doll. I will spare you her response, but my sister finally bought me one for my fortieth.
When I was a kid she had her own name; Christie. She had a blue box, so I liked her better too.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 PM

4 posts, read 3,899 times
Did you ever realize that Disney movies don't have a mother figure and if they do its an evil step mother, or not one at all....Mom's are important!!!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:47 PM

4 posts, read 3,899 times
oh and maybe that's why the girls in Disney movies are delinquent... So yes they would be bad for our daughters to watch!!! The learning isn't all there!!!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
When those particular movies came out, they were marketed heavily....(at least Aladdin, Mulan and Pocahontas - those were when my DD was small, can't speak for the Princess and the Frog or Rapunzel as I no longer have little girls).....My guess is the reason that Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty and Snow White are still around is simply they are more "classic Disney"....you don't see Belle and Ariel around anymore either (at least I don't think so, though I haven't been browsing in the little girl section of Walmart lately....).

As for the "princess culture"....eh....I think it is what you make of it. My daughter grew up watching those movies but she doesn't expect to be treated like a princess....we had a healthy dose of other movie entertainment and an actual life outside of our movie watching......

You're right...I guess Mulan and Aladdin and all that came before my dd's time, and after mine, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to stuff like that. I just know I try to avoid buying everything with those three princesses on them ALL the time, and it is hard, because they seem to be on EVERYTHING. When Princess and the Frog first came out, they did have some Princess Tiana things, and she was included in some of the Cinderella-Snow White-Sleeping Beauty things, but she seems to have faded away now.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:44 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
I personally like some Disney movie but not all. I've tried researching but I couldn't find much on how Disney movie impact our kids. When I was a kid I was very into the skin, blonde hair and blue eyes type. I wanted to be like that and asked myself why I wasn't like that. As I've grown older, I learn to appreciate myself. I look at my niece today, and she doesn't see what I saw back then. All she sees is (for example toy story) toys are moving and talking, that's it. How about Avatar? I mean it's not a Disney movie but all she sees is blue people. Obviously she doesn't understand the concept of the movie or what the movie is trying to portray, but I really wonder if Disney movies will have impact on them on the long run.

My sister named her baby Arielle because she really liked Ariel. I don't think she plan to treat her kid like a princess but let it known that she is very important to her.

I don't think Disney movies will have much impact as far as the meaning or message behind them. I think most of the mushy stuff and storyline goes right over their heads. In my opinion, the thing that has the most impact is the visual image they see. For little girls, they see beautiful girls in pretty dresses and that's what captures their attention. For a little girl who does not fit the stereotypical Disney princess image, I believe it can have an impact on her, depending on what other influences are in her life. When I was a kid, it was more difficult because it was rare to see anybody who looked like me in a book or magazine or even on TV. I remember the only time we used to see commercials featuring black people or black products was when Soul Train was on. I never saw a book with black children in it, and dolls were few and far between. Things have greatly improved since then, and it's easier for a child now to look around and see a face that resembles theirs on a billboard or magazine and even as a princess. My dd and all my nieces have seen every Disney princess movie there is, and none of them suffer from any self esteem issues, but I think that's because we've gone out of our way to make sure that wasn't the only influence they had.

BTW, I think Ariel is a nice name.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 PM

885 posts, read 1,522,279 times
Interesting thread, I read the Cinderella book mentioned in the original post.

The strangest thing I found about the 'princess phenomenon' is how it isolates the princess. Disney is famous for its orphans.

Princesses don't have normal relationships with other people. They're loners.

Last edited by SusqueHappy; 10-17-2011 at 10:48 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 04:59 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
It's because the archetype of the evil mother figure was very common in fairy tales. Those stories originated from a time when a snug nuclear family was atypical.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:05 AM

885 posts, read 1,522,279 times
Julia, you are right, the stories are archetypal, and many were actually adult stories, not for children. In fact, a 'culture' for children and actual children's literature was not at all common until recently.

What concerns me is what happens to the child's sense of self through 'princess culture.' Relationships with men and non-parent figures are distorted too. I really view this 'princess culture' as a sort of ostracizing of the child, cultivating the child's sense of self away from context with normal human relationships and the security of family and peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting