Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:45 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,621,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
OMG! That is unbelievable! Who does that?! The hubby and I own our 3 APBTs, which by now, most people on here probably already know! lol! But we also own one snake right now and we use to have two more! Right now we own a ball python named Jax (my home town is Jacksonville Fl and I miss it there so much, so I had to name my snake Jax or Duval! lol! Jax just sounded way better! ). He is still pretty small, about 3 feet right now, but he is also still really young and has a lot more growing to do! We use to own another ball python, Roxy. Roxy was my baby! She was so tiny when we first got her, not even a foot long and she was the sweetest thing! I would just let her hang out with me on the sofa when I was watching tv! She died after eating a sick mouse from the pet store! I was so mad and absolutely heart broken! I didn't know what was going on! She was our first snake and she just started doing all of these crazy things, she was definitely miserable! By the time we got her to the vet, it was too late! I lost it, I was just as sad as I would be if I lost one of my pups! We also had a 6 foot boa! Once he got that big (and he was still going to get a lot bigger), we really couldn't take care of him as well as he needed, so we had to find him a better home. Neither of us wanted to, but it was what was best for him. He was an amazing snake though and so beautiful!... Wow, if that was my child.. well, I'm not even going to get into that! lol! Obviously this child needs some serious help! Therapy, meds.. the works! I feel bad for the women that he ends up marrying one day and his children, if he ever has any! Children like that grow up to be horrible, horrible, horrible people! I really don't even know what to say, except that this child obviously needs some serious, serious help right now if he is ever going to even have a chance to be anywhere normal!

This is Roxy..

This was our boa.. he didn't really have a set name, we just called him big boy!
Moderator cut: image removed

and I don't have a good picture of Jax, but he looks exactly like Roxy only bigger.
Wow! That is amazing to see......I'm afraid to pick up a worm....don't think I could do that.....

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2014 at 03:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 08:07 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
In response to 'go phillies',
you didn't read my post clearly. The spider was on the OUTSIDE of our house. As far as I know, spiders don't carry diseases or destroy houses. It was a 'writing' spider...the same one as written about in Charlotte's Web. We always let those hang out where they develop their webs because it's a great education for our kids. We usually have 2 or 3 of them living in our bushes this time of year. My kids see the egg sac formed, then three months later hundreds of babies are born and you can see them all over the grass. Most don't survive. You may consider this gross. We don't.
The boy who I sent home has a history of disrespecting animals. I've also seen him throw sticks at the geese who frequent the neighborhood pond. You or my neighbors may think I'm nutty. Who cares? The only thing that matters to me is that my boys respect others.
We never let our daughter kill outside insects or other critters "just because," either. It's a matter of being respectful of other living things.

As far as the boy killing the snake goes, clearly he and his dad are disturbed in some way or another. I knew a girl in elementary school who was mentally retarded and later read about her in the paper when her 3 children were taken from her because of neglect. Go figure. Some people aren't fit to be parents, but they reproduce anyway.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:50 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
Wow, let's watch the assumptions, and generalizations being thrown at those with cognitive disabilities...

There is a HUGE difference between mentally ill, and mentally handicapped/retarded/cognitively delayed.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:27 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Wow, let's watch the assumptions, and generalizations being thrown at those with cognitive disabilities...

There is a HUGE difference between mentally ill, and mentally handicapped/retarded/cognitively delayed.
Yes, these are two different impairments. And sometimes people are both hence the very popular medical terminology, dual diagnosis! I am willing to err that the child in the story is one or the other, or both. I am simply humoured by the number of people who make the assumption that he is spoiled and should be beaten. Just not sure about those inferences. When we speak of people killing living things unprovoked I think the issue is typically larger than little Johnny needs his behind kicked.

Sara

Old 08-25-2007, 10:46 PM

My cognitively disabled, mentally retarded 5 year old would never step on a snake, or hurt harm or kill any animal.

Right now we have the untrue generalizations going that mentally retarded people kill animals without provokation and neglect their children, as posted by Marlow.

If we were making generalizations based on someones skin color - people would be up in arms (rightfully so) but it's ok to to slap a medical diagnosis on someone based on an article and unfairly stereotype people with disabilities?

The 5 yr old in question not spoiled or in need of a "beating" - he's got poor role models and is a victim of bad parenting. I really don't think he can be medically diagnosed based on a Yahoo article.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:49 PM

OMG!!! I didn't even read this before...

Quote:
How do we know he's a bad parent and not a parent overwhelmed by the responsibility of a mentally impaired child? Or simply ill-equipped to manage the behaviours of a neurologically damaged child?

What "behaviours" of the neurologically "damaged" are you speaking of??

Speechless... wow. Ignorance is a scary thing.

In my child's 5 years, I have met and come across many many parents, families, children with disabilities of various ranges and degrees - and never did I meet one who was so "overwhelmed" by caring for thier CHILD that they would treat their CHILD in the way reported in the article, nor did the neurologically "damaged" children ever elicit violent behaviors or outright KILL an animal..

Your assumptions are terribly offensive, and I am so sorry for you that you haven't had the opportunity to meet children like you are untruthfully degrading with such negative and hurtful stereotypes.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
My cognitively disabled, mentally retarded 5 year old would never step on a snake, or hurt harm or kill any animal.

Right now we have the untrue generalizations going that mentally retarded people kill animals without provokation and neglect their children, as posted by Marlow.

If we were making generalizations based on someones skin color - people would be up in arms (rightfully so) but it's ok to to slap a medical diagnosis on someone based on an article and unfairly stereotype people with disabilities?

The 5 yr old in question not spoiled or in need of a "beating" - he's got poor role models and is a victim of bad parenting. I really don't think he can be medically diagnosed based on a Yahoo article.

I'm going to guess that my posts are amongst the ones that hit a nerve for you. I don't like generalizations, assumptions, stereotypes either. Beyond not being able to diagnose a child from a news article, I'm not even sure where we got that the kid is 5.

As a parent to a child with intellectual limitations, cognitive delays and mental illness, I'm not far from being in the same position as you. It was never my intent to imply that these impairments and violence go hand in hand. However, I firmly believe that when a child has such a disregard for life, there are some serious issues at play that typically go beyond being "spolied".

I'm also not one to jump to what I often view as the simplistic and convenient conclusion where the parents are always to blame. I mean really, don't "bad" (in simple terms) children ever happen to "good" (also simple terms) parents? I, for one, know that I did things as a child (heck, even as an adult) that might not only mortify my mother, but I know she would disapprove of.

At any rate, sorry for any offense! Also, as this thread gets longer, I'm willing to bet the original poster had no idea she'd elicit this type of response. I'll wager a bet that she was simply shocked by the story and reacted strongly to it (as anyone should) without giving much thought to the story behind the story.

Sara

Old 08-25-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
OMG!!! I didn't even read this before...

What "behaviours" of the neurologically "damaged" are you speaking of??

Speechless... wow. Ignorance is a scary thing.

In my child's 5 years, I have met and come across many many parents, families, children with disabilities of various ranges and degrees - and never did I meet one who was so "overwhelmed" by caring for thier CHILD that they would treat their CHILD in the way reported in the article, nor did the neurologically "damaged" children ever elicit violent behaviors or outright KILL an animal..

Your assumptions are terribly offensive, and I am so sorry for you that you haven't had the opportunity to meet children like you are untruthfully degrading with such negative and hurtful stereotypes.
You're quoting me. Sorry you have to "meet" me over the Internet because you're getting the wrong impression of who I am.

The parent in the article dragged the child away, if I recall correctly. He didn't reportedly do much more than that. I think it was his lack of reaction, or his lack of accepting responsibility, that angered people here.

Because I parent a child with moderate special needs, I have met many parents in my same position. I never stated that violence was par for the course.

Sadly though, due to lack of resources and support, I have met many parents overwhelmed by the responsiblity. It's not so hard to imagine. In fact, I even know parents of neurotypical children who occasionally get overwhelmed. Some of these parents reacted drastically although for the most part, most of the parents I know on a personal level, don't. They continue to love and care for their child, no matter how challenging.

Another thing, while it's an ugly subject, I do personally know children whom have killed animals. Years ago I had some in my home. I used to be what's referred to as a therapeutic foster parent, and I have provided respite, on occasion, for families with children whom have severe behavioral issues.

Sometimes I think of our families as some sort of underclass, outsiders so to speak, since by and large it seems that people don't realize such children exist or that there are families who go through these struggles on a daily basis. And dare I say it, but I have even loved some of these children. But even that's not enough to sustain some of them.

Sara

Last edited by saralee; 08-26-2007 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: rephrased awkward wording

Old 08-26-2007, 06:02 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,621,282 times
Quote:

I wanted to apologize to you if I have insulted you in any way posting the article about mental illness in children. I promise you I was not trying to diagnose this child, I was just trying to open some minds of others that were completely convinced that this was the actions of a spoiled child. There are plenty of spoiled children in the world that would never act this way, and this article was strictly about children with different mental disorders which, some of the children can exhibit different types of violence. Please understand that I am not ignorant to the fact that every child is unique, and not all disabled children exhibit violence, but some do and I have witnessed it first hand... Again, I certainly did not mean to insult you, and anyone else for that matter. Jeannie

Old 08-26-2007, 06:03 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Even before I was Vegan, I wouldn't touch veal. I read those stories as a teen. Horrible, horrible.

I also grew up in Africa and behind my house was a slaughterhouse at one time (we finally got them to move it). We heard the poor cows as they realized what was going to happen to them. I still ate some beef at that point, although I would cringe sometimes.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Have you gotten to the stories on veal????

Sara
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting