Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,732,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Probably because she doesn't actually take care fo the children herself. I saw or heard years ago that after they are born she cares for tehm for a short period of time before passing the baby onto an older sibling who is then resonsible for the baby from there on out.
I'm sure that there is a healthy dose of the "village" raising the children. Of course, they are also pretty much their own village. From what I have seen of the show and the family over the years, it is quite obvious that Mrs. Duggar is not a hands off mom when it comes to caring for her children. Does she rely on the older siblings for help, of course, but I imagine any of us with more than one child rely on older siblings to help with the younger siblings from time to time. Hence, we are talking about scale, not the moral implication of a mother not caring for her children.

The one thing that keeps me in the "pro-Duggar" camp or defending them is the fact that they do not proselytize like so many others. They are open and accepting of others beliefs even if they do not agree with them. Members of their own family do not share their beliefs, but there is no pushing away or admonishing of them for making that choice. I don't see the Duggar's out "recruiting" people into their movement. They believe what they believe, support their friends in their group and that's it. They believe in a certain lifestyle that many of us find odd, but they are also not trying to shove it down our throats. You can choose or not choose to watch their show.

Last edited by JustJulia; 11-10-2011 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,265,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
They are part of a religious "movement" (cult?) that believes in populating the earth with "soldiers for God." They are having as many babies as they can on purpose.

Here are two different websites about the Quiverfull movement, with different perspectives:

www.quiverfull.com/

www.salon.com/2009/03/14/joyce_quiverfull/
Yes. It's seem like a mish-mosh of various cultish programs including the homeschool movement (not to be confused with simple homeschooling your kids...there is a difference). I say "mish-mosh" since I don't thing being fame whores are part of anyones godly plan, but exceptions can be made for anything if it's what god..I mean YOU..want.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:23 PM

22,618 posts, read 47,750,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Sex + sperm = pregnant.
LOL!
Not always...

Old 11-08-2011, 01:37 PM

452 posts, read 899,235 times
It seems a little OCD with children. You can prevent pregnancy with other forms of BC than the pill that does not give anyone any diseases. I hope that everything comes out ok for the family but the chances are getting slimmer and slimmer with each year she ages and as long as they do not prevent.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,374,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Shall I post critiques on all religions highlighting their "cultish" and odd beliefs?

Mormons believe Joseph Smith was given golden tablets that only he could read using a seer stone he placed into a hat and stuck his face in. He translated them into the Book or Mormon and showed them to 11 "witnesses" before getting rid of the tablets.

Christians in general believe a Jewish carpenter from Gallilee was the son of God and that his death cleansed us of our original sins and only by believing in him can one reach eternal salvation.

Catholics believe that when bells ring during the mass, the bread and wine transmogrify into the actual body and blood of Jesus which they then line up and consume.

Orthodox Jews do not consume shellfish and pork nor do they eat dairy and meat at the same time believing that it will contaminate their souls and make them more distant from God.

Jews also practice Kaparot which involves grasping a chicken by its neck and moving it in a circle around your head three times in order to pass your sins from you into the chicken. The chicken is then slaughtered and donated to the poor, because well, who wants to eat sinful chicken?

The Mormon Church baptizes people who are deceased via proxy believing that only through baptism can one be saved. The only problem is that they baptize anyone regardless of sex, creed or race. Most infamously they "baptized" entire lists of people who were killed in the Holocaust.

Jainist Digambara's in India do not believe in wearing clothes. They believe that the "environment" is their clothing and hence walk around naked with their only Earthly possessions being a water gourd and peacock feather broom.

I can keep going if you want...

I'm sure that there is a healthy dose of the "village" raising the children. Of course, they are also pretty much their own village. From what I have seen of the show and the family over the years, it is quite obvious that Mrs. Duggar is not a hands off mom when it comes to caring for her children. Does she rely on the older siblings for help, of course, but I imagine any of us with more than one child rely on older siblings to help with the younger siblings from time to time. Hence, we are talking about scale, not the moral implication of a mother not caring for her children.

The one thing that keeps me in the "pro-Duggar" camp or defending them is the fact that they do not proselytize like so many others. They are open and accepting of others beliefs even if they do not agree with them. Members of their own family do not share their beliefs, but there is no pushing away or admonishing of them for making that choice. I don't see the Duggar's out "recruiting" people into their movement. They believe what they believe, support their friends in their group and that's it. They believe in a certain lifestyle that many of us find odd, but they are also not trying to shove it down our throats. You can choose or not choose to watch their show.
I agree, and can't understand how somebody would call them cultish because they choose to follow God's word and be fruitfull and multiply. They are living as they believe God wants them to, and making no judgements on others as they live as they want. They are raising decent, intelligent, responsible individuals, which is more than can be said of most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes. It's seem like a mish-mosh of various cultish programs including the homeschool movement (not to be confused with simple homeschooling your kids...there is a difference). I say "mish-mosh" since I don't thing being fame whores are part of anyones godly plan, but exceptions can be made for anything if it's what god..I mean YOU..want.
fame whores?? They are simply trying to show their life for people to see as opposed to the usual trash that society has reverted to. I'm gratefull that I can see that not everyone is raising over sexed, materialistic children with no regard to education or self reliance.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,395,509 times
I understand their values, and belief system. It is not one I share. I think they should focus on the blessings that they have. Sadly, I think that the Duggars have wrapped their whole persona in having kids. At this point, I almost think it is a pathology.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,980,616 times
I have a certain amount of respect for the Duggers, in that they seem like a close-knit, happy, self supporting family. I grew up going to school with children from a family with 17 kids. The mother looked like she was 70 when she had her last child. Michelle Dugger looks pretty good! The father should back off though, for the sake of Michelle Dugger's health.

But, I HAD to Google how much they make from their TV show. The best guesstimate is $25,000-$40,000 per episode, based on 10% of the production costs(wiki). Not a bad payday for them.

The children do have a lot of material possessions. They may wear thrift shop clothes, but they also have computers, musical instruments, and a massive home with lots of playground type equipment.

I would only hope that they are not restricted to home schooling past the high school years, and can attend college (both girls and boys) if they want to.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:19 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,760,174 times
I believe they are having another baby (aside from the obvious lack of birth control usage) to "prove" that they can have a regular / healthy pregnancy after the last one. I am truly hoping that this pregnancy is uneventful for her and the new baby. It would not surprise me if they did not have another one after this (even people leaving it "up to God" are aware of the rythm method).

It is interesting to see how the family has changed over the years of tv stardom. In the first shows... they all wore home-made clothing that was sewn by the mom and girls of the family (just one of the things I have noticed over the years of watching their show from time to time).

Wonder if their oldest boy and his wife are going to follow in their footsteps and have as many children as possible?

Old 11-08-2011, 02:20 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,674,424 times
No one can dispute that the Quiverfull movement is NOT the mainstream. And "God's word" is purely subjective -- look at how many interpretations there are. I am not judging them -- I was merely providing info for those who did not understand why they are doing this. I provided a link from the movement itself for a balanced view.

I see no difference in this show than in Jon and Kate, really. Both shows are exploiting the children IMO.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:23 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,253,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I roundly object to the name Jinger. It looks like it should rhyme with singer.

I don't see the point in the Duggars' continuing to have children when 1) they already have so many, 2) they are increasing the odds of having a child with Downs or other disability, and 3) it's very easy not to have any more babies. At this point I feel like they are gambling on their baby's health, particularly when the last one was premature. What if this one is also premature and develops cerebral palsy or other debilitating disorder--or dies?
I can understand not wanting to use birth control pills or other contraceptives where there is the chance of a fertilized egg being prevented from implantation (I'm assuming they believe life begins at conception here), but if JimBob was to get a vasectomy, then wouldn't that solve that issue? I don't get it. Leaving it all "up to God"? Well, God gave humans the ability to use their brains and get a vasectomy and not put a woman's life and possibly a baby's life at risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting