Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 03:01 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Just like when they want to run away from home, many do at that age. Without a word I helped mine pack and the desire was gone soon after.
Mine said she was going to run away. I held the front door open and said "Clothes off! You showed up in this house in a diaper and can leave the same way! Mom, find a diaper for her..." She changed her mind, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 03:02 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,358,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Because they don't have the cajones to come out and say they are terrified of the notion their children may be gay. They will not avail themselves of the countless sources of information stating cross-dressing does not equate to being homosexual, and they also refuse to accept the reality that if you're gay, you're gay, regardless of what you wear.
yeah thats it, satisfied? Run along please.

FYI - i refuse to send mixed messages to my children. Feel free to do whatever you guys want...its your child(ren) and quite frankly i couldnt care less But as for me and my household....yeah, we will do without cross dressing...yep, sue me!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 03:03 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Because they don't have the cajones to come out and say they are terrified of the notion their children may be gay.

The absence of any actual reason does make one scratch their head.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:05 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post

FYI - i refuse to send mixed messages to my children. Feel free to do whatever you guys want...its your child(ren) and quite frankly i couldnt care less But as for me and my household....yeah, we will do without cross dressing...yep, sue me!!!

Another member of the 'you keep your kids away from mine and I'll keep mine away from yours' club!

Old 11-15-2011, 03:05 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Umm....no thanks, I like it here.

Quote:
Yeah fine, but why? What exactly is your reasoning?

Old 11-15-2011, 03:07 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
FYI - i refuse to send mixed messages to my children.
What messages are you sending?

Old 11-15-2011, 03:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Perhaps we dont think your question warrants an answer. Applying a little common sense to the op should tell you all you need to know....oh and btw, do you cross dress to work everyday? Just checking...
I made a very valid point. Censoring your child's music, TV, and video games, I assume, is done because there is some kind of content you don't think is appropriate for them. It isn't done to save the child from being teased. Saving the child from being teased is the only reason I've seen posted here for not allowing your son to wear girl's clothes. (a valid reason for not allowing it in public, IMO) So where is the connection? All you are being asked to do is defend your position. You seem to be having trouble doing that.

Your reason is either a) you don't want your child to be teased or b) you are "afraid of the gay" Neither is comparable to censoring music, TV, or video games.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:56 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
i think a lot of parents dont want their son wearing girls clothes because kids and how theyre raised are a reflection of their parents. What parent doesnt love it when the son says "I wanna be just like Dad"? However, when the son says "I wanna be just like Mommy" well, thats a huge blow to your ego. Suddenly youre ashamed of your kid and wondering where you went wrong.

As far as needing a constant male role model, well thats BS. My Dad was in my life every day and he was as manly as they come, but i have no desire to play sports, go hunting, be built like a linebacker, or drink beer. I'll wear whatever I want regardless of what sex it was intended for as long as it fits and its weather appropriate. Do I want to be made fun of? No, so i usually use discretion when something that is obviously feminine. Btw, im married, im not gay in the slightest, and our opinion is "theyre just clothes".

I think a parent can as an alternative find clothes that are made of the same material or even buy unisex clothes. It may be a comfort thing for the kid and not a gay thing at all. It could be a phase and it might not be. However if it isnt a phase and he really does want to wear girls clothes then all hes going to do is basically count the days until he can move out and finally buy/wear whatever he wants. When that day comes there wont be a thing you can do about it.

Last edited by pythonis; 11-15-2011 at 06:31 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 06:47 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I will post one more time to you giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are actually interested in the subject under discussion rather than being snide.

Someone else, not me, brought up the objection of the child getting ridiculed in public. I can agree that that could be a bad thing. At 8, in particular, he may not have the judgement in advance to understand that possible repercussion. Another objection someone had was that it is teach to teach appropriate dress for an occasion. I think someone brought up what one would appropriately wear to church or a job. Someone else brought up the conformity to social norms. While I, personally, don't feel that is important, I can see how someone else would. I have no problem with that.

But I still cannot figure out what reason one would prohibit a child from this kind of thing in private. It makes no sense to me.
The things you mention (being made fun of, appropriateness of dress to occasion) are social norms.

I don't see a problem with a child doing as he pleases in his own home.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:51 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
neither do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting