Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 01:13 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
It drives me nuts that parents stay at kids birthday parties. I understand for a 4yr old but my daughter is 7 and all the parents still are sticking around. It's silly, if your child can't behave themselves at a party by 7yrs old then they probably shouldn't be going.

Sorry a little off topic...pet peeve of mine.
It's not about the child not being able to behave herself, it's about the party being held at a crowded public place. If I wouldn't send my child there alone, then she's not going to be going there with a couple of parents who are trying to watch twenty kids at once.

I'm the opposite of you though...when I have a party, I have enough for everyone and I would prefer that the parents stay and enjoy themselves...or at least stay and keep their children from running wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 01:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
My DD's 7th birthday party is tomorrow. I have been worrying about the same issue. This is the first party that I am having for her outside of my house, and it goes from 12:30 - 3:00 (skating party). I am planning on feeding the adults that were invited (family), but not the parents that just stay with the kids. I have noticed an annoying thing about my area. The parents don't leave a party. Thay all stay. Both parents for each kid. This is for kids of all ages. It has happened at all of DD's friends parties and at the 12 - 13 year old parties I have gone to. I even saw it at a 16th birthday party.

I told all of the parents that they can just drop off the kids and go run errands or just enjoy the day since it is such a long party. . I am hoping that they will take the hint and leave. If not, I guess I may have to buy a couple of extra pizzas while I am there.
I was quoting this to tell you that you don't have to feed the adults, but if there are other adults there, you may have to actually. It would be weird to have your family digging in and have the parents standing around.

If the host parent tells me I can leave, I leave. If they say I'm welcome to stay, they probably plan to feed me. I guess I let them take the lead.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:48 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,918 times
IF it is not a financial burden on you, sure! We did or didn't invite the parents. Of course, any parent was welcome to attend, anyway so that they didn't leave their child alone when for any reson whatsover they preferred not to do so.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:09 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
It drives me nuts that parents stay at kids birthday parties. I understand for a 4yr old but my daughter is 7 and all the parents still are sticking around. It's silly, if your child can't behave themselves at a party by 7yrs old then they probably shouldn't be going.

Sorry a little off topic...pet peeve of mine.
For me it wasn't that I didn't think my kids could behave at that age. I just didn't feel it was safe to leave a 6 or 7 year old at a McDonalds or skating rink with 20 other kids with just one set of parents to watch all the kids. So I stayed. Sorry it really bothered you that much. Now that they are 12, 15, 17 I don't stay for parties no matter where they are held.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:25 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I was quoting this to tell you that you don't have to feed the adults, but if there are other adults there, you may have to actually. It would be weird to have your family digging in and have the parents standing around.

If the host parent tells me I can leave, I leave. If they say I'm welcome to stay, they probably plan to feed me. I guess I let them take the lead.
Yeah. I was planning on ordering more if the parents decided to stay. I just really don't want to have to. It's really frustrating having to feed a family of 5, when only one of them was invited.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:33 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
For me it wasn't that I didn't think my kids could behave at that age. I just didn't feel it was safe to leave a 6 or 7 year old at a McDonalds or skating rink with 20 other kids with just one set of parents to watch all the kids. So I stayed. Sorry it really bothered you that much. Now that they are 12, 15, 17 I don't stay for parties no matter where they are held.
I guess I wouldn't have a birthday party where I didn't feel like I was capable of watching all of the kids with my husband and maybe a friend. My peeve is that you wind up having to entertain a group of adults you don't know, feed them and try to run a party all at the same time. I guess I'm not very paranoid about stranger danger either but if I didn't feel like it was a safe place I wouldn't leave my kid there. But that isn't usually the case.

For example, my daughter went to a Halloween party a few weeks ago in a rented room at a country club, no other parties or anyone there. There were about 14-15 kids. I dropped off my daughter and when I came back to pick her up there were like 10 mothers sitting around eating candy and drinking coffee while the poor party host tried to organize games while keeping the adults happy at the same time. I have no idea why they all stuck around, definitely not a safety reason.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
If the host indicated I could leave, but I didn't feel comfortable, I would stay but I wouldn't expect to be fed or entertained.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:49 PM

346 posts, read 507,479 times
If you mentioned parents can run an errand, then I think it's understood they aren't expected to stay or be fed. I stayed at the first couple of Bday parties and never felt un welcomed, but I never expected to be fed unless told there would be food for parents, and I never assumed siblings were welcomed unless told.

In fact, it amazed me that so many parents dropped off their little kids 5&6 years old and didn't even appear concerned about knowing the parents in charge or leaving a cell phone number in case of emergency. After watching this at several other parties, I decided to have a sign up sheet for the parents to leave contact info. I barely knew the kids, much less what adult they belonged to.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:12 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I was surprised to see pizza and sandwich platters on your list of food options - I've never seen those foods offered at McDonald's.
its a bistro so it has a different menu; pasta dishes, chimichangas, pizza, subs etc....here's a link to the menu

http://www.mcfun.com/files/menus/San...-Menu-2011.jpg

I'm sure the parents will stay. The kids range from 4-7 and the location is 2 stories with game and play areas on both floors.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:14 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
its a bistro so it has a different menu; pasta dishes, chimichangas, pizza, subs etc....here's a link to the menu

http://www.mcfun.com/files/menus/San...-Menu-2011.jpg

I'm sure the parents will stay. The kids range from 4-7 and the location is 2 stories with game and play areas on both floors.
I have been to that one. It is a great McDonalds. I ate off of their bistro menu and it was great. They play area is HUGE. I am sure they will all have fun. It wasn't like any McDonalds I have every seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting