Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:16 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times

Advertisements

With Grandma visiting for Thanskgiving and in tow, we skipped the Black Friday Sale feeding frenzy and headed to the local mall. My 5 y.o. was all excited about visiting the American Girl doll store which opened earlier in the year. None of us had been there before but a close friend often takes his daughter on weekend trips to New York to the store there.

I am impressed with the variety and quality of the toys offered, but OMG(!) on the prices! For dolls! For children!

My daughter was asking for an iPad for Christmas (no, it aint happening) but that might be a cheaper deal for Santa.

Grandma and I split the cost. Some of the outfits cost more than I spend on clothes.

Is this stuff overhyped or what? They must be doing a lot of business to stay in business, but how many here are shopping there?

(On a separate note, thank God I didn't see any little boys in there picking out toys! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 10:20 AM

741 posts, read 1,678,654 times
Twelve years ago, when I was pregnant with my 5th child, I had a babysitting job for this rich couple that owned a wine-tasting bar..and the mom would fly into NYC (from Phoenix, AZ) with her little girl just to go to the American Girl store and load up on clothing and stuff for the dolls.. I wish I had one!! I love dolls and I am 41 lol

Old 11-27-2011, 10:28 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
We got DD one and she was able to get accessories and outfits for Christmas and get birthday from relatives. They are nicely made, but she played with it a few times for a year. It ended up in the basement and we had to throw it out because it got moldy.

I do like the books.

BTW, why would it be horrible if a boy was in there shopping? It might not be usual, but what's the harm?

Old 11-27-2011, 10:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
They remind me of "the Last Doll" from A Little Princess. Sara Crewe's father is going away on business and buys her a large, expensive doll with a lavish wardrobe. I loved reading that part of the book when I was a girl and picturing all the beautiful things. My younger sister had quite a few Cabbage Patch dolls when they were the rage. I guess I would have liked to have an American Girl when I was that age.

I'm glad that neither of my girls had an interest in them.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:36 AM

741 posts, read 1,678,654 times
Neither of my girls had any interest in them either..nor for any dolls.. And it's sad because I have always LOVED dolls..I did end up buying MYSELF a limited edition "Baby So Beautiful" which I have kept in the box...

I would love to have an American Girl doll though

Old 11-27-2011, 10:39 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
BTW, why would it be horrible if a boy was in there shopping? It might not be usual, but what's the harm?
I think that's a separate thread and I'd rather not highjack this one so early on. Do you want to start it or shall I?

Back to our regular programming....

Old 11-27-2011, 11:06 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Twenty some odd years ago the dolls and clothing were all made by the pleasant (I think) comapny by hand right here in the US. It was part of the companies mission statement to only be american made (since they were american girls) and that was part of the justification to explain the prices. But now mattel makes them, entirely overseas, and there is no justification for dolls that only cost slightly more than Barbies to produce now costing 500% what a Barbie does.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:51 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
It is expensive, but my daughter loves them and has played with hers for years. We have certainly got our money's worth. In fact she is playing "school" with them right now. On the other hand, she has friends who have them and don't really play with them.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:25 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
The thing people forget is this: something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Obviously people are willing to pay a lot so the company sets their prices accordingly. Do I think it is worth the money personally? No, but there are plenty of people who do!

I'm glad their weren't any boys in there too, if they were going to be made fun of by supposed "adults" shopping their.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:51 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I think that's a separate thread and I'd rather not highjack this one so early on. Do you want to start it or shall I?

Back to our regular programming....

Sorry. You thought it was important enough to mention in your post, so I asked the question.

There already is a thread about boys wearing girl clothes, and there are posts in there about how sexist we are against boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting