Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,297 times

Advertisements

I'm getting very nervous about my daughter's emotions going haywire..She is turning 12 soon. Yesterday her new Ipod arrived and I heard this howling sound, and it was HER howling and crying and carrying on..Happy tears..I mean wayyy over the top for an emotional display...my husband said that she was starting to scare him after 10 minutes of this...

Also, she has started having major mood changes... I am afraid of what her mood will be from one minute to the next! She reminds me of ME only 10 times worse !!!

This is weird because my other daughter is 19, and was never like this..not at all..
I also have 4 sons, and ofcourse they arent like that either..

Anyone else have a daughter that has or had CRAZY mood changes during puberty? How did you handle it? Were you extra nice to them or were you firm? My DD goes nuts and yells and screams at everyone at times..and I'm trying to be really patient and understanding, but this is starting to really worry me since she is still so young..Im afraid I will be dead by the time shes 18 !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 09:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Maybe it gets her attention -- with friends and with the family and some people are just naturally full of drama. I would probably just ignore it if she's a happy enough child and also some kids have a difficult time getting used to the hormonal changes. My daughter was mostly sweet until the pms which would turn her very disagreeable for a couple days but she grew out of that.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 AM

133 posts, read 183,092 times
Especially early on in puberty (11-13 or so), it can be overwhelming for kids to deal with their crazy hormonal changes. They feel slightly out of control. You feel as if she's going crazy -- so does she! Just be patient with her mood swings... they'll get less intense.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianIce View Post
Especially early on in puberty (11-13 or so), it can be overwhelming for kids to deal with their crazy hormonal changes. They feel slightly out of control. You feel as if she's going crazy -- so does she! Just be patient with her mood swings... they'll get less intense.
Thank you! I really am trying

Old 11-29-2011, 01:59 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I vote for attention getting tactic....tell her to knock it off or go to her room until she is done. I bet they stop really fast.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:57 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
That is just hormones . Tell her to go rest in her room and yep guarantee it will stop .

Old 11-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I vote for attention getting tactic....tell her to knock it off or go to her room until she is done. I bet they stop really fast.
Ohh, I have tried that a million times and she dramatically falls to the floor screaming!

Old 11-29-2011, 04:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
Ohh, I have tried that a million times and she dramatically falls to the floor screaming!
Are you worried the moods shifts and drama may indicate a bigger issue?

I know how upsetting this must be for everyone in the household.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Are you worried the moods shifts and drama may indicate a bigger issue?

I know how upsetting this must be for everyone in the household.
Yes, I am mostly worried that it will get worse. If it continues I will end up bringing her to a counselor. She has no issues in public or at school, infact she has been tested as a "gifted" child since the 1st grade.
I am actually afraid to leave her home alone when I go to class at night because a couple of times when I got home the boys said that she was screaming and cussing at them, and I was afraid someone might call the cops..
I told the boys to lock their doors when I'm gone so that she doesn't go into their rooms to pick fights with them.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
Yes, I am mostly worried that it will get worse. If it continues I will end up bringing her to a counselor. She has no issues in public or at school, infact she has been tested as a "gifted" child since the 1st grade.
I am actually afraid to leave her home alone when I go to class at night because a couple of times when I got home the boys said that she was screaming and cussing at them, and I was afraid someone might call the cops..
I told the boys to lock their doors when I'm gone so that she doesn't go into their rooms to pick fights with them.
I am so sorry. It sounds like this is possibly more than teenaged hormones.

Was this child a collicky baby? Has she been known to pitch "tantrums" or cry uncontrollably as a toddler when she didn't get her own way?

I ask these things b/c psychologists are now saying that often, bipolar children showed these kinds of behaviors - and things escalate during adolescence.

The good thing is - a counselor may be able to figure out what is going on and give you all some good coping skills and help your daughter set goals for herself w/ self control. In addition, if she is exhibiting bipolar symptoms, this would be the time to start working on a regimen so she can stay more evened out w/ her ups and downs.

I don't think I would put things off if it has gotten this difficult for the rest of your kids. They should not have to lock their doors and be concerned with phone calls to the police b/c of her out of control behavior.

I have a bipolar sister who was not diagnosed til late in life. Your daughter sounds very much like her and the biggest mistake my parents made was that we all were to try to de-escalate things with her and "keep her from getting upset." That shifted responsibility to us rather than making her responsible for recognizing and controlling her own behavior.

Of course, we are all doing arm-chair diagnoses here, lol - so perhaps this is just a passing phase. But hearing about your family being terrorized at times by your daughter's behaviors makes me want to encourage you to see if there is something more to all this.

Don't get discouraged. This is definitely something that can be addressed, explored and managed!

PS> My sister was a gifted student through high school and graduated suma c um laude from college. She made us all pretty miserable, even tho she excelled at school. I only wish she could have gotten some help at an earlier age - she would have been so much happier and our family would have been much happier, as well. When in an "up" phase, she was sunshine and light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting