Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Yeah, and the average 25/26 year old doesn't have a Master's or a 95k/yr salary. IF I stay focus and finish graduate with my Master's in Nurse Practitioning, I will start at 95k/yr.

Yes, I know, very unusual case, but I'm not like the rest.
Ya, that's great, if it actually happens, but it ain't the millions that Sandra Bullock has. Are you going to keep comparing yourself to her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I can understand the flaws in that, because I have a child. It's not just about what YOU do or don't THINK you want.
Certainly, but I am also looking at it from a child's view. I had a father who was a terrible role model and overall person, and I would rather have had just my mom and him to have never been in my life. My child, I'm certain, would rather have one happy, marvelous parent than to have a miserable one, and tbh, I don't think I'd be happy in a relationship. When I was in one, I was stressed and not happy and now that I'm starting over, single, I am much more happy and optimistic about life in general, and that is the attitude I want to bestow onto my child.

Quote:
You don't understand what it takes until you have one. So you can tell me how it's going to be all you like, but there are people here who are already parents, and believe it or not we aren't just talking to hear ourselves speak.

I understand, but it seems like you aren't getting it. I don't want a relationship, and I shouldn't be punished for not wanting one by having to remain childless. Do you understand?

Quote:
If you don't understand that, then you are lacking the maturity it takes to do what you're planning. If you did have the maturity, if I thought you truly UNDERSTOOD, then my responses to you would be entirely different.
But you don't understand my posts either or none of you would insist I wait until I have a partner when it is clear I do not want one! Understand that not everyone is relationship material or wants to be in a relationship. Some people are happy alone and single. I'm at that point where I am happy and without a man, and I would like to continue my life that way, and I shouldn't be denied a chance at motherhood because of that.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Ya, that's great, if it actually happens, but it ain't the millions that Sandra Bullock has. Are you going to keep comparing yourself to her?
Honestly, you have yet to answer my question, but whatever. And money isn't everything, and it doesn't take millions to raise a baby. Get that through your head. I am pretty sure a woman can raise a baby and support herself with 95k/yr, so it still moots your argument. Jeeze louise.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
How did this thread go from talking about the ideal age to have your first baby to trying to influence "TiltheEndofTime" to think otherwise about choosing to become an unmarried mother? She thinks what she thinks and we can't change that.

Let's get back on topic here.
Good question. I stand by my earlier post that says it really will depend on the specific person's situation. There are more and less favorable circumstances to have a child, but I don't believe there is a universal "ideal" time. I do think a basic understanding that life stops being "all about you" when one brings a child into the world is important, regardless of one's age.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:38 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
How did this thread go from talking about the ideal age to have your first baby to trying to influence "TiltheEndofTime" to think otherwise about choosing to become an unmarried mother? She thinks what she thinks and we can't change that.

Let's get back on topic here.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I've been following this thread for entertainment purposes but it's getting monotonous. I don't understand why everyone is so hell-bent on trying to convince her from doing what she wants as if it affects their lives. No one's mind is going to change here so can y'all get back to talking about something interesting so I can stop being bored please?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Good question. I stand by my earlier post that says it really will depend on the specific person's situation. There are more and less favorable circumstances to have a child, but I don't believe there is a universal "ideal" time. I do think a basic understanding that life stops being "all about you" when one brings a child into the world is important, regardless of one's age.
I agree but people seem to like to push their ideals on others on what they "should" do. It's silly because everyone is different and wants different things in life and shouldn't be penalized for that.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Honestly, you have yet to answer my question, but whatever. And money isn't everything, and it doesn't take millions to raise a baby. Get that through your head. I am pretty sure a woman can raise a baby and support herself with 95k/yr, so it still moots your argument. Jeeze louise.
which question?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. I've been following this thread for entertainment purposes but it's getting monotonous. I don't understand why everyone is so hell-bent on trying to convince her from doing what she wants as if it affects their lives. No one's mind is going to change here so can y'all get back to talking about something interesting so I can stop being bored please?
Sorry for high jacking the thread.

I just wish everyone would accept my decision and stop shoving their ideals down my throat of the typical two parent household because it it isn't for everyone.

So back to topic.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:05 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Don't base anything on what you're going through now. There is no such thing as 'youthful energy' when there is sleep deprivation in the mix. You will sleep again!
That's not true. I deal with sleep deprivation and have for over a decade (I am a physician). It was lots easier when I was in my 20s than it is now. Recovery takes longer. Switches are harder, etc.

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
I'm using Sandra Bullock as an example. How does that speak volumes? I think she is a great mother. She is older, more mature, has all the money, time, and love in the world...Louis is a lucky baby to have her for a mum.

Again, why do people have such a problem with a financially stable, mature and able 26 year old choosing to parent alone (adopted or otherwise)?

And yes, I realize, single parenting isn't it, but it certainly isn't so hard and impossible that it shouldn't even be considered.
Because like I already said, choosing to be a single mom on purpose is one of the most selfish things a woman can ever do.

And even considering this plan shows a real lack of maturity and understanding of what it takes to be a mother in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting