Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 06:35 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,095,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'll take a little sagging, some stretch marks or misshapen breasts in exchange for no breast cancer in my future
Hate to rain on your parade, but you can get breast cancer if you breast feed. I'm living proof of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 06:36 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,814,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Physiology is fascinating. Every bodily fluid serves a unique purpose, and society has imposed determinations on whether or not they view those fluids as gross or not. Blood smells terrible, but we'd all agree it serves a unique function, and without it we are severely SOL. Some would argue that breastmilk serves as unique a function. Whether or not one feels it's vital to a baby's future depends on your point of view, but breastmilk in and of itself is a sterile nutrient. Why would that be offensive? People spit in public all the time, that offends me, and it is a public health hazard, yet people seem more inclined to tell mothers not to breastfeed in public than to tell people to quit spitting.

I think the reason people get so irate when breast milk is clumped together with other bodily fluids is that it is so often used in the age-old argument against public breastfeeding. Pooping in public affects everyone. You can see it, smell it, and if you are very unfortunate, step in it. Breastfeeding in public affects no one but the mother and baby. Unless of course the mother chooses to squirt people as they are walking by.
Erm, but by that definition...a baby pooping in his diaper, would affect everyone and would be offensive. That doesn't offend me either, even if it happens in a restaurant. What -does- offend me, is if mom chooses to change the diaper at the dining room table, in that restaurant. But that has more to do with the mom being tactless, not the baby's poop.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:36 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,395,509 times
Sadly, the pert boobies are a thing of the past. My chest looks like two little partially deflated balloons after the party has ended. Sure, you can get surgery, my friend did, and her boobs turned rock hard with scar tissue. I personally don't think fake boobs look that great. But, to each his own.

I just stopped gradually, no more pumping, just nursed before work, after work, after dinner, before bed. Then, went to less, and my boobs just slowly adjusted.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,396,754 times
I seem to remember hearing from somewhere that it's generally a good idea to not feed your baby in public AT ALL, whether you're breastfeeding OR bottle feeding. Something about bonding and distraction, can't recall.

I also think it matters that breasts are sexualized. And I don't care for any suggestions that we change that; I think they SHOULD be.

Okay

Old 12-20-2011, 08:04 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,580,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic 2.0 View Post
i also think it matters that breasts are sexualized. And i don't care for any suggestions that we change that; i think they should be.

Okay
lol! :d

Old 12-20-2011, 08:58 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,386,618 times
I didn't have time to read the other posts so I hope I don't repeat anything:

1) If you wean gradually, you shouldn't have any pain. I started to wean when I returned to work b/c I could never pump enough milk to breastfeed exclusively. I still nursed in the morning and at night and eventually my milk supply adapted to my children's feeding schedule.

2) No, your breasts probably won't look the same. I used to be a perky 36C. Now, after nursing three babies I'm a droopy 34 B. They are such sad little things. I work out a lot and I've come to accept the only why they'll be firm and full again is if I have plastic surgery. Maybe, if I ever have $10,000 lying around I'll get a combo breast-lift and tummy tuck.

Also, you may have to experiment with different formulas until you find one that your baby can tolerate well. I found that Gentle-Ease (I think Carnation makes it) worked well and reduced colic symptoms.

Good luck. I know how hard it can be to adjust to returning to work when you have an infant.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,795,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Hate to rain on your parade, but you can get breast cancer if you breast feed. I'm living proof of that.
My post said no breast cancer in MY future, not everyone else's future

Not that it would completely impossible for me to ever get breast cancer, just highly unlikely given all my personal history.

Sorry you weren't so lucky and hope that you are well now.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,396,754 times
lovesMountains, stop talking about breasts... It's weird

Old 12-20-2011, 10:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,795,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
lovesMountains, stop talking about breasts... It's weird
We aren't talking about breasts so much as we are talking about breastfeeding, breast cancer and breast changes due to pregnancy.

If the subject makes you uncomfortable I believe there's a thread about circumcision going strong on the health forum right now

Old 12-20-2011, 10:20 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,036,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I took this to mean that her friend is "grossing" her out by talking about breastfeeding her future baby.
No. There are MANY more things she delights in torturing me with by describing them involving pregnancy....*shudder* I hate when she starts doing that.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I never said I see them as the same thing. I said that I understand the mindset. I am amused how bodily secretions like sweat and saliva are frequently seen as icky and gross, while another (breastmilk is the secretion of the mammary gland--no different) is viewed as this beautiful, sacred thing. There is nothing more special or wonderful about breastmilk than there is about sweat. They're both juices our bodies make. I do not think breastmilk is gross, but I also don't think sweat, urine, poo, or other bodily secretions and excretions are gross. It's because I recognize them for what they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Why not? You don't gag with the thought of drinking Cow's milk do ya?
Cow=Food. Cow= Dinner. Cow= Meant to be nommed on. Human secretions? Not sterilized, not filtered...nothing.... Not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
It's relevant to the thread. If people think breastmilk is nasty, they should probably rethink their dairy consumption.
See above. If the baby is eating it. ok. Grown man? Nasty/creepy/weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting