Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:00 AM

530 posts, read 1,163,414 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine who has a very busy job got a bladder infection because she was "holding it" too much at work. The doctor told her (an adult woman!) to got to the bathroom more frequently. So this can happen, even with adults.

I would be really mad at a teacher that imposed vouchers along with awards for not using them. What a stupid system! Some people just have stronger bladders than others. That's life. Plus if a kid drinks a lot of water, which really is good for them, they will have to go more.

I have had my oldest daughter complain about teachers making her wait. She has had a few times when she has said she was practically bursting at the seams by the time she was allowed to go. I don't mind a teacher that makes a kid wait a little to go to the bathroom if they are in the middle of a lesson. However, if the next scheduled bathroom break is not within maybe a half hour or so, they should be allowed to go.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
I invite all of you that are so outraged by this to go sit in the back of your child's classroom for a week and observe what goes on there. I can pretty much bet you will change your minds about unlimited access to the bathroom.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:35 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,485 times
My DH is 50 and he still has a horribly vivid memory of wetting his pants in kindergarten b/c the nun wouldn't let him use the restroom.

Our schools have a policy where kids can go when they need to. They have to take a pass so the teacher can keep track of whose out of the classroom for safety reasons. They're supposed to wait until a pass is available to prevent multiple kids from leaving the classroom at once, but I've never heard of a child being told they couldn't go.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:37 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
A friend of mine who has a very busy job got a bladder infection because she was "holding it" too much at work. The doctor told her (an adult woman!) to got to the bathroom more frequently. So this can happen, even with adults.

I would be really mad at a teacher that imposed vouchers along with awards for not using them. What a stupid system! Some people just have stronger bladders than others. That's life. Plus if a kid drinks a lot of water, which really is good for them, they will have to go more.

I have had my oldest daughter complain about teachers making her wait. She has had a few times when she has said she was practically bursting at the seams by the time she was allowed to go. I don't mind a teacher that makes a kid wait a little to go to the bathroom if they are in the middle of a lesson. However, if the next scheduled bathroom break is not within maybe a half hour or so, they should be allowed to go.

My parents told me to simply walk out, and they would deal with the consequences with what happened. Personally i was not going to hold it just because the teacher makes a huge deal about bathroom breaks.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,929 times
Oh my, this poor teacher! She goes out of her way to creatively and POSITIVELY solve an obvious problem, and she gets crucified!!

My child is 7, and has chronic blader infections. She CANNOT hold it, if she has to go, she HAS to go. I would NOT have a problem with this system. She has scheduled opportunities to go throughout the day (teacher and she know that she is not given a choice, she MUST use these opportunities). Anybody knows that at a particular time of day, if you are asked if you need to go potty, the answer is going to be no. But if you sit on the pot..... you pee!!!! Do we not all do this with our children when traveling, or heading out to an event????
Now, obviously, even if you choose to use all the scheduled potty breaks, you MIGHT need to use an unscheduled one. And here, you have THREE opportunities a week to use one, THREE!!! That means only the children taking DAILY unscheduled bathroom visits will be affected, and positively, I may add, by actually getting an opportunity to get some education (gasp!).
And if there is a child that needs more than the scheduled opportunities for bathroom break, I'm sure all the parent would have to do is send a friendly email to the teacher to discuss an extra scheduled break during the day that would be least disruptive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
My parents told me to simply walk out, and they would deal with the consequences with what happened. Personally i was not going to hold it just because the teacher makes a huge deal about bathroom breaks.
That is fine, too. I agree. And the terrible consequence would be that this precious child would get one less treasure out of the treasure chest that week :0

Old 01-20-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I invite all of you that are so outraged by this to go sit in the back of your child's classroom for a week and observe what goes on there. I can pretty much bet you will change your minds about unlimited access to the bathroom.
If this is a middle or high school then i would have a tad *and just a tad* more understanding, since you get breaks in between classes. But in an elementary school you get stuck with one teacher, and no child is going to be able to not use the bathroom from 7:30 am to 3 pm.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:42 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
I was forced to hold my pee from 8 AM to 3 PM in elementary school because we weren't allowed to go to the bathroom during class and the lunch lady was convinced I was "up to no good" when I honestly just had to use the restroom, so I didn't get to pee for the whole school day for many years. It took me about 5 years after that to fully get used to being able to pee when I wanted. I still have to remind myself now sometimes that I really don't need to hold it.

It's totally messed up that teachers take the fact that a minority of students abuse the bathroom "privilege" (which shouldn't even be a privilege, because it's basic a bodily need) and wield their power to control when students use the restroom. It's really not good for your bladder or intestines and it doesn't prepare you for "the real world" because in "the real world," people let you go when you need to go. I'm in college and I've worked several jobs and I've never had a professor or an employer tell me I had to hold it they way they did in grade school. The whole bathroom issue is such BS and just another way for many teachers to feel powerful.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Oh my, this poor teacher! She goes out of her way to creatively and POSITIVELY solve an obvious problem, and she gets crucified!!

My child is 7, and has chronic blader infections. She CANNOT hold it, if she has to go, she HAS to go. I would NOT have a problem with this system. She has scheduled opportunities to go throughout the day (teacher and she know that she is not given a choice, she MUST use these opportunities). Anybody knows that at a particular time of day, if you are asked if you need to go potty, the answer is going to be no. But if you sit on the pot..... you pee!!!! Do we not all do this with our children when traveling, or heading out to an event????
Now, obviously, even if you choose to use all the scheduled potty breaks, you MIGHT need to use an unscheduled one. And here, you have THREE opportunities a week to use one, THREE!!! That means only the children taking DAILY unscheduled bathroom visits will be affected, and positively, I may add, by actually getting an opportunity to get some education (gasp!).
And if there is a child that needs more than the scheduled opportunities for bathroom break, I'm sure all the parent would have to do is send a friendly email to the teacher to discuss an extra scheduled break during the day that would be least disruptive.

That is fine, too. I agree. And the terrible consequence would be that this precious child would get one less treasure out of the treasure chest that week :0
Yeah if i don't have to pee no amount of sitting on the pot is going to coax it out.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:47 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
But we are talking about 11-12 yos here. The can go before school, during lunch, on the way to special and afterschool. That means at most they are being asked to "wait" 2 hrs or so. For the days they cannot go before school, at lunch, or on the way to the specials, they have the emergency passes. I cannot comprehend why that would cause a UTI in a 12 yo unless they have another medical issue, in which case they should be excused.
Teachers can sometimes be overly suspicious. For example, your period 5 teacher might assume you probably got to go in period 4, when really your period 4 teacher assumed you went in period 3, etc.

Honestly I think this sheds light on a bigger issue. If students are pretending to go to the bathroom every class period, maybe we should reevaluate our education system.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
If this is a middle or high school then i would have a tad *and just a tad* more understanding, since you get breaks in between classes. But in an elementary school you get stuck with one teacher, and no child is going to be able to not use the bathroom from 7:30 am to 3 pm.
The kids aren't being told they can never use the bathroom. They are being told they can't use the bathroom outside of scheduled bathroom breaks. When our kids were in elementary school they had 4 opportunities through the day to use the bathroom, not including when they got to school and before they went home (so 6 if you count those)---MORE than enough. That is pretty common across the board. If you figure, 2 recess periods, lunch and before PE (which is when our kids could use the bathroom) most kids don't need to go that often. If a child has a medical issue that would require more frequent trips, most teachers I know would just arrange for that child to get up and go without disrupting the class. The kids wouldn't even know that child was leaving the room. If a child raise his/her hand, "teacher, I have to go to the bathroom", then ALL the kids suddenly need to go. Had this child not raised his hand and said something, no one would have had to go. That is what the teacher is trying to prevent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting