Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 04:14 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,904 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how many well-child/ check-up visits to the doctor are usually done in the USA in a child's first three years or so? My twins were born in Ireland so I am not sure what the usual is here, or whether it depends on the doctor. As the kids are healthy (Thank G_d!), they don't go to see the doctor other than for vaccinations and so I want to know if I should make appointments for them for a check-up? They had their one year check-up and vaccinations in February (they are 15 months now), and everything was fine.

In Ireland, there would be a 18 months visit to check on development (walking, hearing, speech etc), weight and height etc, and then another vaccination visit at 2 years and 3 years. Is it the same here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 04:20 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
Here, the "recommended" well visits are timed to go along with vaccinations: 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 15 months, 2 years, then yearly after that. Maybe there is one at 18 months too; I don't remember. Some people choose to not go every two months if they're not vaccinating on schedule, some people reduce the number of well visits during the cold and flu season, some people go more often because they split up vaccines, and some people don't do well visits at all, or do them less often and simply get their shots at the health department. It really depends on what you, as a parent, choose to do.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:21 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,428 times
At 18 mos here they would have vaccinations and then a 2yr visit then 1 visit every year after. 18 mos is the last vac. until they reach school age.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:46 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
At 18 mos here they would have vaccinations and then a 2yr visit then 1 visit every year after. 18 mos is the last vac. until they reach school age.
Interesting- I am pretty sure the vaccination schedule the twins got when we went for their last visit had another MMR shot at 2 years. They did have a vaccination visit last month (at 14 months), but I thought that was just to catch up with the US vaccinations, as we want them fully vaccinated for what is normal here (Ireland do a few less vaccines, such as no chickenpox and no Hep B).

Old 05-17-2009, 06:55 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,428 times
You can get the MMR and whatever the other ones are anywhere from 14-18mos and that is the last set until 4-6yrs old.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:56 PM

239 posts, read 1,141,355 times
My 15 month old has gone to well-visits every 3 months since birth (there was also a 3 week, 6 week appt). My 4 year old has gone to well-visits once a year to coincide with health forms required for his nursery school. He was born in London, UK, where I lived for 8 years before moving here 2 years ago.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:51 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Here, the "recommended" well visits are timed to go along with vaccinations: 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 15 months, 2 years, then yearly after that.
This is what the ped's office told me last week (when I called I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be scheduling a 15 month or 18 month).

And yes, I was told that I will need to schedule for 18 months when the time comes.

BTW - I have 15 month old twins, too!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:16 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
I was wondering how many well-child/ check-up visits to the doctor are usually done in the USA in a child's first three years or so? My twins were born in Ireland so I am not sure what the usual is here, or whether it depends on the doctor. As the kids are healthy (Thank G_d!), they don't go to see the doctor other than for vaccinations and so I want to know if I should make appointments for them for a check-up? They had their one year check-up and vaccinations in February (they are 15 months now), and everything was fine.

In Ireland, there would be a 18 months visit to check on development (walking, hearing, speech etc), weight and height etc, and then another vaccination visit at 2 years and 3 years. Is it the same here?

Too many

Old 05-18-2009, 10:47 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
I've noticed that even with the same doctor, we are already going less with #2 than we did with #1. Doc said I'm "experienced" this time, so I don't need to come back as soon unless I think there is reason to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting