Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

I played with Barbies and watched princess movies, and I think I turned out ok . Looking back with adult eyes, now, I do wonder WTF were they thinking with some of this stuff. I was a little older when The Little Mermaid came out. That one especially makes me go Giving up everything? for a man? Is this the message we want to send?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 03:50 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Kibbie, have you read the original? She commits suicide at the end.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Kibbie, have you read the original? She commits suicide at the end.
No I haven't! seriously?

Old 02-21-2012, 04:04 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
No I haven't! seriously?
Yup. The witch doesn't take her voice--she cuts off her tongue. The prince never falls for her--but she amuses him and he lets her sleep on a cushion outside his door. He marries someone else. Her sisters bribe the witch with their beautiful hair to save her, and she must stab the prince before sunrise. She still loves him and kills herself instead. Mermaids don't have souls, but her love and sacrifice earn the pity of somebody (Neptune? I forget, it's been a while), so she is turned into sea foam. The sound of foaming waves is her eternal sighing for the prince. Oh, and she is 15.

Disney changed it a little.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yup. The witch doesn't take her voice--she cuts off her tongue. The prince never falls for her--but she amuses him and he lets her sleep on a cushion outside his door. He marries someone else. Her sisters bribe the witch with their beautiful hair to save her, and she must stab the prince before sunrise. She still loves him and kills herself instead. Mermaids don't have souls, but her love and sacrifice earn the pity of somebody (Neptune? I forget, it's been a while), so she is turned into sea foam. The sound of foaming waves is her eternal sighing for the prince. Oh, and she is 15.

Disney changed it a little.
oh my!

Old 02-21-2012, 04:08 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
I played with Barbies and watched princess movies, and I think I turned out ok . Looking back with adult eyes, now, I do wonder WTF were they thinking with some of this stuff. I was a little older when The Little Mermaid came out. That one especially makes me go Giving up everything? for a man? Is this the message we want to send?
The Little Mermaid and all the other fairy tales weren't made up by Disney (though extremely modified of course as the originals weren't intended for kids at all). But fairy tales are just classic texts, and whether or not we agree with the message, there's no reason why it'd be harmful for kids to read/watch and discuss or think about. In fact, you could talk to a girl about whether or not she thinks Ariel's decision was a right one or not and why. And for what it's worth I don't think it's inherently some kind of anti-feminist sexist message about the woman having to be hurt for a guy. I think it's a tale about love, and the fact that sacrifices are sometimes made for the sake of love, and people get hurt. I don't see it much different from say, Romeo and Juliet - we don't ban that out of fear that kids will start killing themselves for a crush.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:09 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Idk if this is the same, but its not for the man, its for love..
And this is where it might not be the same, I dream of a nice house, an SUV and a good paying job but if me and TG we're broke and had nothing but love I would still be ok. You don't need those material things in life, you don't need anything at all as long as you have the one you love.

So I don't really think its giving up everything for a man, I think it is finding love and finding what's most important in life.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:12 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Ya I think this is my issue too.

Granted I loved the Little Mermaid, and I hijacked my little sister so I wouldn't be the weird high school girl at a kids move but I totally see the "message" issue as well. OTOH I think recently Disney has made more of a concerted effort to make their princesses a little more about them getting what THEY want. Tangled and the Frog Princess, made sure the "princess" got her dream. A nice switch.

And on yet another hand (how many is that now) when I was a kid I adored the Narnia books, literally reread all of them except one, every year. I never made the Aslan=Jesus connection. So maybe the "message" is REALLY going over the kids heads?

My daughter loved Mulan. Maybe it was because there was finally a disney "princess" who looked like her, or she related to the tomboy-ness of her, I am not sure. But that is as "princess" as we got. Thankfully.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
No I haven't! seriously?
Its by Hans Christian Anderson. Not nearly as dark as the Brothers Grimm, but very NOT disney.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:14 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My daughter loved Mulan. Maybe it was because there was finally a disney "princess" who looked like her, or she related to the tomboy-ness of her, I am not sure. But that is as "princess" as we got. Thankfully.
My sons loved Mulan also. I think there is a universal appeal to Mulan that surpasses any gender issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting