Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of my parents?
They aren't that bad, ease up 21 35.00%
Aren't the best parents in the world but they are not the worst either 33 55.00%
Ya, you have some bad parents 3 5.00%
YOUR PARENTS ARE REALLY REALLY BAD! 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,441,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
ya

what sucked for me was I did not have anything close to an active teen life or a good childhood but at the same time was put in a bad situation in terms of academics as well

worst of both worlds
I voted not the best, not the worst. I guess we won't convince you that your parents weren't the worst. But you can't change the past. You have to start where you are. When people focus only on the negatives in their lives, and dwell on things that happened in the past, they wind up sabotaging themselves. You will get nowhere by doing that.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:33 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,568,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
What might have happened if you weren't "all business"?
Someone would be dead. His psychiatrist told us the best we could hope for was to keep him from killing himeself or someone else before he turned 30.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
A healthy family relationship usually involves a dynamic where people trust each other, feel safe amongst each other, feel valued and respected. A healthy relationship also entails every member feeling a sense of being a separate individual with their own thoughts, feelings and opinions. Yes, even children need to have a mind of their own, even when they aren't always right or experienced enough.
That is YOUR definition!! Who died and made you God so you get to decide for everyone???

The point of my post, which zooomed right over your head, is that each family has it's own definition of good family relationships. And, whether self appointed Gods like you like it or not, you don't get to tell the rest of us how to manage our relationships.

The all business relationships of asian families have served them well for hundreds of years. Now you're going to tell them and their ancesters they're wrong? Who are you to judge them?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:32 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,979,296 times
You guys didn't get by what I meant by all business.
I am trying to search youtube so I can show you a clip of this wife swap episode where it shows EXACTLY what I am trying to get across to you guys.

You know how you talk to children, you especially know how you talk to your own children and interact with them.

These "all business" families don't talk to their kids like children, its like watching them talk to a stranger. There is no emotion, no nothing.

If anyone else here watches wife swap, it was the one family that home schooled, they had a pool with some sort of thing around it, like one of those deck coverings with walls, the new mom during rule change had them have a pool party.
The husband and wife were kind of nerdy and awkward.

If anyone knows which one I am talking about, they didn't talk to their children like they were their children, they talked to them with no emotion, very fact of the matter and they obviously didn't know how to talk to kids.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
they didn't talk to their children like they were their children, they talked to them with no emotion, very fact of the matter and they obviously didn't know how to talk to kids.
Lol. I think you just hate parents who doesn't parent the way YOU want them to.

You'll learn. It's not a one-size-fits-all proposition. For some families "no emotion" works.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

You'll learn. It's not a one-size-fits-all proposition. For some families "no emotion" works.
For who?
These are children, not robots and unless you want them to grow up with some serious emotional issues its probably better to speak/show emotion towards them.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Yup, different strokes for different folks.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:56 PM

Oh yeah because emotionless is good for some people...
Because we all know those emotionally devoid people are the best to be around. /sarcasm

Old 03-13-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Oh yeah because emotionless is good for some people...
Because we all know those emotionally devoid people are the best to be around. /sarcasm
Sorry dear but no one died and made you God. You don't get to tell others what is right for them.

My family was pretty emotionless but my parents taught me the basics of what I needed to know to succeed in life. They didn't owe it to me to be gushy and warm. They owed it to me to raise me, keep a roof over my head, food in my stomache and to teach me what I needed to know to survive in life. Looking at myself and my 5 siblings, obviously, they didn't do too bad. Do I wish mom had been affectionate? No. I don't know life any other way. That was my normal. Yours may be different but that doesn't make yours better. It just makes you arrogant because you think it's better.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Sorry dear but no one died and made you God. You don't get to tell others what is right for them.

My family was pretty emotionless but my parents taught me the basics of what I needed to know to succeed in life. They didn't owe it to me to be gushy and warm. They owed it to me to raise me, keep a roof over my head, food in my stomache and to teach me what I needed to know to survive in life. Looking at myself and my 5 siblings, obviously, they didn't do too bad. Do I wish mom had been affectionate? No. I don't know life any other way. That was my normal. Yours may be different but that doesn't make yours better. It just makes you arrogant because you think it's better.
Hopefully no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting