Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of my parents?
They aren't that bad, ease up 21 35.00%
Aren't the best parents in the world but they are not the worst either 33 55.00%
Ya, you have some bad parents 3 5.00%
YOUR PARENTS ARE REALLY REALLY BAD! 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,775,680 times

Advertisements

Brahman, from your name, are you of Indian origin?

Old 03-12-2012, 03:52 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,599,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
But look at some parents they talk to their kids like they don't even know them, like they might talk to someone else's kids or something.

Some parents are very business with their kids and from the outside looking in the way they conduct themselves towards their children it looks so impersonal and distant.
So what? Some parents take the business of making sure their kids get onto a good path seriously. It is, after all, serious business.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:31 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,882,803 times
love and acceptance makes for a more emotionally healthy person down the road. All hugs and nothing else isn't so good and so is all business. the best parents always find the right balance.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:53 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,027,211 times
Nobody, even the best parent, always finds the right balance. Raising a child for 18, 20, years or whatever is going to involve mistakes, and probably a lot of them.

I agree that child-raising should involve teaching how to have healthy family relationships - which requires actually having relationships with one's children. If a child misses a semester of something, and fails to master a particular skill, that can be remedied later. Love, trust, acceptance, loyalty, are difficult if not impossible to learn how to offer and receive if you have been raised without them.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
love and acceptance makes for a more emotionally healthy person down the road. All hugs and nothing else isn't so good and so is all business. the best parents always find the right balance.
Well, if this thread were about the best parents, your post might have merit.

And I disagree. What works for one family, may or may not work for the next. I can see where all hugs and kisses would be a problem but all business is just taking the job of parenting seriously. I, personally, like some balance but that's my choice and my personality. I've raised a child I had to be all business with.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
Nobody, even the best parent, always finds the right balance. Raising a child for 18, 20, years or whatever is going to involve mistakes, and probably a lot of them.

I agree that child-raising should involve teaching how to have healthy family relationships - which requires actually having relationships with one's children. If a child misses a semester of something, and fails to master a particular skill, that can be remedied later. Love, trust, acceptance, loyalty, are difficult if not impossible to learn how to offer and receive if you have been raised without them.
But what is a healthy family relationship? Do we use your defintion, my defintion or his parents definition? Relationships are personal. What's right for you may not be for me or them. We may find we don't like the way our parents raised us and that our kids don't like the way we raised them.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 AM

125 posts, read 269,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Brahman, from your name, are you of Indian origin?
ya

what sucked for me was I did not have anything close to an active teen life or a good childhood but at the same time was put in a bad situation in terms of academics as well

worst of both worlds

Old 03-13-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Well, if this thread were about the best parents, your post might have merit.

And I disagree. What works for one family, may or may not work for the next. I can see where all hugs and kisses would be a problem but all business is just taking the job of parenting seriously. I, personally, like some balance but that's my choice and my personality. I've raised a child I had to be all business with.
What might have happened if you weren't "all business"?

Old 03-13-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
But what is a healthy family relationship? Do we use your defintion, my defintion or his parents definition? Relationships are personal. What's right for you may not be for me or them. We may find we don't like the way our parents raised us and that our kids don't like the way we raised them.
A healthy family relationship usually involves a dynamic where people trust each other, feel safe amongst each other, feel valued and respected. A healthy relationship also entails every member feeling a sense of being a separate individual with their own thoughts, feelings and opinions. Yes, even children need to have a mind of their own, even when they aren't always right or experienced enough.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
ya

what sucked for me was I did not have anything close to an active teen life or a good childhood but at the same time was put in a bad situation in terms of academics as well

worst of both worlds
What does having an active teen life mean? What exactly did they keep you from doing? You are also vague about a bad childhood. Can you share what some of the good aspects to your life were? I'm just curious, not judging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting