Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 07:51 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But they are both.
Yes! "You can give them your love but not your thoughts". Of course we can and should give them our thoughts as we should respect theirs. Some guidance is needed when you are raising kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
Yes! "You can give them your love but not your thoughts". Of course we can and should give them our thoughts as we should respect theirs. Some guidance is needed when you are raising kids.
I think he means, you can't make them think the same way you do.

I like how this thread is making so many parents feel threatened. Like, "What do you mean I can't mold them into a mini-me? Since when?" lol

Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
I didn't see any mention of the crap you hand down to the poor little things from your genes. lol
Sometimes traits don't have to be taught, poor little munchkins. Just like their daddy. lol

Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
Of course you can share your thoughts with them, but you can't expect them to think the same way you do.

I find the whole premise of this thread disturbing. Do people really think they "own" their children?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:58 PM

133 posts, read 183,145 times
The point isn't that you can't share your thoughts. The point is that you can't force them to have the same thoughts and ideas as you do. It's saying that you should respect them as individuals. Approach them from the standpoint that they are ALREADY individuals; you don't have to create them. Sure, you guide them, teach them, help them. But they aren't there to serve you and your dreams, they're there to live out their own.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianIce View Post
The point isn't that you can't share your thoughts. The point is that you can't force them to have the same thoughts and ideas as you do. It's saying that you should respect them as individuals. Approach them from the standpoint that they are ALREADY individuals; you don't have to create them. Sure, you guide them, teach them, help them. But they aren't there to serve you and your dreams, they're there to live out their own.
Exactly. I saw the title of a book at a bookstore. It went along these lines "Living life is about creating yourself."

I can proudly say that I am not like the people who raised me. My mom is truly grateful for that.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:41 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,183 times
Other than religious fanatics (and I'm a Christian, so I don't refer to people of faith in this way unless they are truly on the lunatic fringe), I've never known anyone who believed children were property.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:26 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Of course you can share your thoughts with them, but you can't expect them to think the same way you do.

I find the whole premise of this thread disturbing. Do people really think they "own" their children?

The word own is a poor choice. However as long as they are living under my roof they will live by my rules/values, and when they come of age they will be prepared to move out on their own with their own set of values which they picked up from me. Its quite simple.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:04 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I owned my sons till the were 18. I now borrow them from time to time.
They are now 28

Old 03-23-2012, 11:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Bah!

I pay for them. I own them. Unfortunately once they are teens, it is kind of hard to sell them to get a return on your investment. Sell them off early. Less investmeent and a better return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting