Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,365 times

Advertisements

Keeping with the subject at hand....I find it hard to teach my children that ANYONE, regardless of color can be successful when everyday, someone sections one group out from all the others. Example...Obama is our President. Why do groups continue to point out he is the first "black" President. It seems that lately, color plays into every issue whether it be successful people, politics, religion, crime...it's everywhere. All I am saying is that if the color issue were dropped, think about how wonderful this world would be.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Keeping with the subject at hand....I find it hard to teach my children that ANYONE, regardless of color can be successful when everyday, someone sections one group out from all the others. Example...Obama is our President. Why do groups continue to point out he is the first "black" President. It seems that lately, color plays into every issue whether it be successful people, politics, religion, crime...it's everywhere. All I am saying is that if the color issue were dropped, think about how wonderful this world would be.
The color issue cannot be dropped mainly because human beings are not color blind.

I taught preK. We found that ignoring characteristics just made them taboo to talk about, so instead we actually were proactive in teaching that while each person had characteristics that were part of his group, in actuality, each person also had unique characteristics *and* characteristics that were part of all humanity.

For example, our skin tones are different, but we all have the same bones and blood. Our hair may be different depending on our racial makeup, but we also all have feelings that are similar. Kids loved exploring how these things played out.

We would mix paint and try to get it as close as possible to our own skin tone. This showed that there is no pure white or pure black, but that everyone has a shade of brown. We looked at brown eggs and white eggs and when we opened them (the kids at first predicted that the inside would match the outside), we found that all of the eggs were yellow inside.

To be honest, I like the universe of Star Trek where differences are celebrated, not ignored.

What Is Diversity But The Celebration Of Differences Sound Clip and Quote

Daily Celebrations ~ Gene Roddenberry, Special Delight in Differences ~ August 19 ~ Ideas to motivate, educate, and inspire

Old 03-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The color issue cannot be dropped mainly because human beings are not color blind.

I taught preK. We found that ignoring characteristics just made them taboo to talk about, so instead we actually were proactive in teaching that while each person had characteristics that were part of his group, in actuality, each person also had unique characteristics *and* characteristics that were part of all humanity.

For example, our skin tones are different, but we all have the same bones and blood. Our hair may be different depending on our racial makeup, but we also all have feelings that are similar. Kids loved exploring how these things played out.

We would mix paint and try to get it as close as possible to our own skin tone. This showed that there is no pure white or pure black, but that everyone has a shade of brown. We looked at brown eggs and white eggs and when we opened them (the kids at first predicted that the inside would match the outside), we found that all of the eggs were yellow inside.

To be honest, I like the universe of Star Trek where differences are celebrated, not ignored.

What Is Diversity But The Celebration Of Differences Sound Clip and Quote

Daily Celebrations ~ Gene Roddenberry, Special Delight in Differences ~ August 19 ~ Ideas to motivate, educate, and inspire

I'm not talking about "ignoring" characteristics. I think a person has a right to be proud of their heritage, ancestors and family background. I'm talking about the balance of race. By that, I mean when white people start issues against blacks or blacks against whites, the humanity balance leans towards one side and the balance is off. If people would stop crying racism everytime an issue arises, it would be easier to keep balance. I love your egg experiment. Have a few kids in my neighborhood who could benefit from that. I've become so frustrated with the "race" issue as I'm trying to teach my children different. I know, I know, I've been told by enough people that it won't make a difference in society, but it does make a difference to me and who knows, maybe sometime in the future, what I taught my children will make a difference.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:59 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about "ignoring" characteristics. I think a person has a right to be proud of their heritage, ancestors and family background. I'm talking about the balance of race. By that, I mean when white people start issues against blacks or blacks against whites, the humanity balance leans towards one side and the balance is off. If people would stop crying racism everytime an issue arises, it would be easier to keep balance. I love your egg experiment. Have a few kids in my neighborhood who could benefit from that. I've become so frustrated with the "race" issue as I'm trying to teach my children different. I know, I know, I've been told by enough people that it won't make a difference in society, but it does make a difference to me and who knows, maybe sometime in the future, what I taught my children will make a difference.
Because there is no balance. Right now.

And that balance is still in favor of the majority. Showing children of color that they can be successful just like people A, B, and C is part of FIXING the balance.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:17 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Learning the truth about slavery is an existential moment for every Black child. Each one finds out and wonders or doesn't what his own ancestors' stories were. It is similar, I would imagine, for Jews and others whose racial group has been targeted for exploitation or genocide. I can't imagine that children could easily get over the knowledge of their families' heritage. Too many kids don't realize that they really could have choices in their lives if they would succeed in getting past all the psychodrama that accompanies typical high school life.

I don't think it's a bad idea to run lists of accomplished people to students on a regular basis. There are a lot of students who don't know about one of the most famous handicapped people--Stephen Hawking. Kids aren't guaranteed The Miracle Worker any longer, so many know nothing of Helen Keller. Some of the students do know that Beethoven was deaf, thanks to the band director!

Old 03-26-2012, 05:58 PM

But....how can we teach black children about their past and ancestors WITHOUT having them developing a "get them back" attitude towards whites or and "entitlement" attitude? I want my own children to know about slavery so that they can see how much better the world is today, but when they see in the media black people wanting "justice" for black profiling and murder of "the black kid" then it's like starting back at square one.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:05 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
What no one touches is the lack of both parents in the Black community and it's affect. What is the percentage of kids born without a father present and how does the black community plan on increasing the legitimate family involvement ?

I always thought the Black church did a lot to keep family units together. Has it slid in the involvement in the community ?

Do the young kids today just not care about the family unit ?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
But....how can we teach black children about their past and ancestors WITHOUT having them developing a "get them back" attitude towards whites or and "entitlement" attitude? I want my own children to know about slavery so that they can see how much better the world is today, but when they see in the media black people wanting "justice" for black profiling and murder of "the black kid" then it's like starting back at square one.
This isn't an issue in the PAST. What part of that don't you understand? Racism exists NOW, black children are being killed for no other reason than being black NOW.

And he has a name beyond "the black kid", it's Trayvon. And for many, many people of color the world is not significantly better. People like Trayvon. The fight for equality is not over. Until there is equality then promoting the successes of the race treated less equally is completely fair and a positive way to even things out.

Just because you don't see "white only" signs on water fountains anymore doesn't mean racism is gone. And considering all theadvantages your children already have over non white children I really don't care what you think is unfair.

And FYI, I am a white woman wanting justice for Trayvon and his family.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What no one touches is the lack of both parents in the Black community and it's affect. What is the percentage of kids born without a father present and how does the black community plan on increasing the legitimate family involvement ?

I always thought the Black church did a lot to keep family units together. Has it slid in the involvement in the community ?

Do the young kids today just not care about the family unit ?
That isn't a black issue. It is an American issue. Divorce rate is over 50% regardless of rate.

There is a strong correlation for all children to succeed in a traditional family setting. Again regardless of race.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:06 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
I always hear about this "entitlement attitude," but the only thing most black children feel entitled to is the same rights, privileges, and opportunities as any other child in this country. Every child is entitled to know the truth about their heritage and culture, and every child is entitled to be proud of who they are and where they came from. My dd has the right to be taught about successful blacks as well as whites, she has the right to read books by black authors and learn about blacks contribution to society, and she should also feel entitled to be able to walk down the street, through a store, drive, or do whatever she wants without fear of being followed, harassed, profiled, stereotyped...and even killed. When a black person asks for these basic rights that white Americans seem to take for granted, they feel "entitled," as if that's wrong. Isn't everybody entitled to those things? Why shouldn't we be?

I honestly feel the more that black children know about their past in this country, the more they will want to take advantage of the opportunities they do have. What do people expect from hopeless children who think they have no past and no future? I would think people would rather black children know their history, see examples of successful black people who have overcome the odds, and to know they have hope than see black children become criminals. Either way, someone is going to complain, but as a parent of a black child, I will make sure my child is taught about her heritage, and I would have a major problem if it wasn't taught in her school, and would raise much hell about it. Black history is American history. Learning it shouldn't be any bigger of a deal than learning anything else about America, and it shouldn't be restricted to the month of February either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting