Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:36 AM

869 posts, read 1,495,043 times

Advertisements

http://www.politicolnews.com/teen-el...-off-his-coat/

How is this ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Sadly the disabled are often abused in this country.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
I'm not quite sure why this is in parenting. The Rotenburg Center is well known for (and thankfully one of very few) that uses aversives, including electric shock and withholding of food, as its treatment and behavioral intervention. This is not the case of a random school deciding to shock a child, but a parent choosing to enroll a child in a school where this is one of the chosen forms of behavior modification.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:26 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
When I read the title of the thread, I was expecting to find that the child had been killed.

Although I disagree with the method, "electrocution" is the wrong word to use.

electrocuted - definition of electrocuted in the Medical dictionary - by the Free Online Medical Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

"electrocution

death caused by the passage of electric current through the body"

I have a grandmother who was killed by lightning traveling through defective wiring in her home. She was electrocuted.

The child in the video is being repeatedly shocked with electricity.

He is being abused but not electrocuted.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I'm not quite sure why this is in parenting. The Rotenburg Center is well known for (and thankfully one of very few) that uses aversives, including electric shock and withholding of food, as its treatment and behavioral intervention. This is not the case of a random school deciding to shock a child, but a parent choosing to enroll a child in a school where this is one of the chosen forms of behavior modification.
1) Perhaps in 2002 when this event occured the extent to which they used what they call therapies such as this wasnt know.
2) The parent of this child says that she was not informed nor was she aware that electro-shock therapy was a treatment that they used.
3)Its in parenting because there are children in schools where they are abused and their parents dont know the extent and need to know that this is not acceptable.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:06 PM

[quote=suzy_q2010;23873478]When I read the title of the thread, I was expecting to find that the child had been killed.

Although I disagree with the method, "electrocution" is the wrong word to use.

electrocuted - definition of electrocuted in the Medical dictionary - by the Free Online Medical Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

"electrocution

death caused by the passage of electric current through the body"

I have a grandmother who was killed by lightning traveling through defective wiring in her home. She was electrocuted.

The child in the video is being repeatedly shocked with electricity.

He is being abused but not electrocuted.[/quote/]

the news report said electrocute, so i wrote it that way. I find it strange that you commented only to put out that he wasnt dead....and an alternate definition of electrocute is to cause death or INJURY with electricity.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
This school is well known for this. It appalls me that NYS sends its difficult children there at all. I do wonder why the parents did not know about the methods though given how well publicized this school has been.

Residential Program Treating Behavior Disorders and Developmental Disabilities

Quote:
While JRC’s treatment is controversial, the treatment is vehemently supported by the parents of the JRC’s students and by the JRC’s students themselves, many of whom have testified in court and before state legislators about the success of their treatment at JRC and their happiness to be removed from their former lives of restraint, seclusion, psychiatric hospital admissions, and the sedative effects of heavy dosages of antipsychotic medication.
Mother’s Knowledge Of Son’s Shock Therapy Treatments At Issue In Lawsuit « CBS Boston

Quote:
Cheryl McCollins said she wasn’t fully informed of the therapy.

Defense attorneys are also working to show the jury that Andre’s mother knew exactly what was going on at the center.

Whaley agreed with the questioning that Andre’s mother applied for Andre to go to the JRC, and visited it herself before he was accepted to the program.
It seems to me that the mother had to have been informed about this treatment. I wonder if they don't have parents sign a release

Old 04-15-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
1) Perhaps in 2002 when this event occured the extent to which they used what they call therapies such as this wasnt know.
2) The parent of this child says that she was not informed nor was she aware that electro-shock therapy was a treatment that they used.
3)Its in parenting because there are children in schools where they are abused and their parents dont know the extent and need to know that this is not acceptable.
Whatever. This form of behavior modification is wholly repugnant, and now most of it is thankfully banned. However, this place was started up in the 70's, and it was just one of many abhorrent and controversial methods used at this specific institution. I don't know how a parent could not have known what was going on there, it was public information, and not a secret at all. They forced children to inhale noxious fumes, excessive pinching, spanking with various objects, witholding food, and the various uses of electronic shocks. That is why people sent their children to this center, for intractable behavioural issues, and those were the methods used at that facility.

Maybe our resident behaviorist has some insight into this facility?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:31 PM

I honestly am so surprised that I am being *attacked* for being upset about this. Whether she knew or not is not my issue. Its that in this day and age where you cant even spank your child the govt allows for "schools" to offer starvation, chemical torture and electro-shock therapy to even exist. How is that ok?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I honestly am so surprised that I am being *attacked* for being upset about this. Whether she knew or not is not my issue. Its that in this day and age where you cant even spank your child the govt allows for "schools" to offer starvation, chemical torture and electro-shock therapy to even exist. How is that ok?
Who is attacking you? And again, this is not a regular school, this is a center for intractable behavior....and I don't think you will find any/many who condone this type of behavior modification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting