Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,195,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree. Maybe it was a one time thing so don't over react.

However, consistent favoritism is something that you should address.
I was going to say something along these lines. Perhaps let it go this time, but most definitely bring it up if it happens again.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:12 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,676,710 times
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but we were taught that when someone was kind enough to give a gift, regardless of whether it is liked or not, you are supposed to smile and say Thank You. There is no reason the gift can't be shared, especially since it is the adults doing the squabbling.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
MIL just left. She dropped this off for YDS and nothing for ODS, though she did tell YDS that he "could" share it with ODS if he "wanted to".

Amazon.com: Nintendo 3DS - Flame Red: Video Games

Am I wrong to be miffed?

There is no special occasion or birthday or anything like that.
Not wrong to be miffed. Actually, I'd be more than miffed. It's strange.
It easily could have been a gift for both brothers, and presented that way, it would be a whole different thing.

I too have an odd MIL. She died several years ago, and I am not upset. My father in law is still living in North Carolina, and practices "abusive gift giving" with my kids, and favors one over the other.

My daughters birthday cards are pulled out of a box of cheap cards that older people seem to keep on hand, where as my son's are name brand and purchased new. They are appropriate for the occasion. For example they will say "To a Terrific Grandson!" where as my daughter just received a birthday card, three weeks late, that was dog eared and had a picture of a little chipmunk in a baseball cap This, for a girl's Sweet Sixteen!

Making matters worse, my daughter is adopted.

He sent my son $100 when he had is last birthday and my daughter $35.
He is not senile, he is just mean and is carrying on in his wife's tradition of passive aggressive behavior and favoritism.

DH's sister does the same thing with gifts, but uses them as opportunities to preach fundamentalist Christianity to my children, sending them books they will never read and cheesy wall plaques.

Trust me, they know just what they are doing.

And your MIL does too. It's more directed at you than it is your son, because these people know it will hurt the mother the most.

Is your husband aware or oblivious? He is the best one to confront them on this. He could say "gifts only on holidays, birthdays and special occasions. They should be of equal value."

Good luck.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:42 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,330,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but we were taught that when someone was kind enough to give a gift, regardless of whether it is liked or not, you are supposed to smile and say Thank You. There is no reason the gift can't be shared, especially since it is the adults doing the squabbling.
YDS did smile and say thank you. ODS did not because he did not receive a gift.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Not wrong to be miffed. Actually, I'd be more than miffed. It's strange.
It easily could have been a gift for both brothers, and presented that way, it would be a whole different thing.

I too have an odd MIL. She died several years ago, and I am not upset. My father in law is still living in North Carolina, and practices "abusive gift giving" with my kids, and favors one over the other.

My daughters birthday cards are pulled out of a box of cheap cards that older people seem to keep on hand, where as my son's are name brand and purchased new. They are appropriate for the occasion. For example they will say "To a Terrific Grandson!" where as my daughter just received a birthday card, three weeks late, that was dog eared and had a picture of a little chipmunk in a baseball cap This, for a girl's Sweet Sixteen!

Making matters worse, my daughter is adopted.

He sent my son $100 when he had is last birthday and my daughter $35.
He is not senile, he is just mean and is carrying on in his wife's tradition of passive aggressive behavior and favoritism.

DH's sister does the same thing with gifts, but uses them as opportunities to preach fundamentalist Christianity to my children, sending them books they will never read and cheesy wall plaques.

Trust me, they know just what they are doing.

And your MIL does too. It's more directed at you than it is your son, because these people know it will hurt the mother the most.

Is your husband aware or oblivious? He is the best one to confront them on this. He could say "gifts only on holidays, birthdays and special occasions. They should be of equal value."

Good luck.

He is aware and feels the same as I do. It's a really touchy situation though.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:51 PM

2,719 posts, read 5,361,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree. Maybe it was a one time thing so don't over react.

However, consistent favoritism is something that you should address.
The OP said pretty clearly that this has happened before.

A high ticket item like that should have come with an explanation, i.e., "I won this at a raffle and thought X would like it." Of course, X should have been both boys.

I don't think I could ever see a valid explanation for a grandma that walked into a toy store, purchased an expensive item for one of the two kids and gave it to him in front of the other kid. The other boy never entered her mind?

How is your relationship with grandma, Magritte? Can you ask her why she did that without her freaking out and getting upset?

Old 05-08-2012, 04:28 PM

MIL was here again today. She wasn't very nice to ODS about YDS sharing the toy. I need to open my mouth already!

YDS played with the DS for quite awhile and ODS asked to play with it. YDS refused and MIL told ODS that he can't expect YDS to give it up. WTF? Luckily she left right after but I Really don't know what to do.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
The OP said pretty clearly that this has happened before.

A high ticket item like that should have come with an explanation, i.e., "I won this at a raffle and thought X would like it." Of course, X should have been both boys.

I don't think I could ever see a valid explanation for a grandma that walked into a toy store, purchased an expensive item for one of the two kids and gave it to him in front of the other kid. The other boy never entered her mind?

How is your relationship with grandma, Magritte? Can you ask her why she did that without her freaking out and getting upset?
She said she bought YDS a DS because "he asked for it" and because ODS has one. But we bought ODS and YDS what they asked for a few months ago. YDS wanted a touch tablet and that's what he has.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:33 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,200,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
MIL was here again today. She wasn't very nice to ODS about YDS sharing the toy. I need to open my mouth already!

YDS played with the DS for quite awhile and ODS asked to play with it. YDS refused and MIL told ODS that he can't expect YDS to give it up. WTF? Luckily she left right after but I Really don't know what to do.
Your husband needs to speak to her. She does not have the right to dictate sharing rules in your house.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Your husband needs to speak to her. She does not have the right to dictate sharing rules in your house.
He is going to have to. If it were my mom I'd have no problem talking to her about it.

But I let ODS down by not standing up to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.