Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times

Advertisements

People wearing flip flops and shorts on the job and interviews?? And people these days wondering why they can't find work :/ No respect for the job so why would employer hire or keep them

Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
People wearing flip flops and shorts on the job and interviews?? And people these days wondering why they can't find work :/ No respect for the job so why would employer hire or keep them
He wore nice jeans and a button up and flip flops when we went into a certain burrito restaraunt, got an interview right on the spot and was hired shortly after

His interview with his last company he interviewed and I use that term loosely with his sisters boyfriend.

His current job requires shoes but he met the dude in a co-op store dressed as he does at home and they exchanged information and he is now pulling in $100 a day.

I wore something nice to my interview at my last store but wore flip flops till the first day it snowed.
Then when co had that really warm week I wore shorts, tank tops and flip flops to work, I didn't dress any differently than anyone else.

I have one pair of heels and nothing to go with it since I pitched all my dressy clothes as they were too big, like 4 sizes too big.

I have flip flops, a pair of DC's and two pair of underarmor athletic shoes. My brown leather flip flops are by far my dressier pair of shoes besides the heels but I have nothing to wear with them.

I don't plan on buying any dress clothes anytime soon e cause the clothes I do get will be for the spring and summer so I can dress for the weather.

More than likely I won't be working anywhere that jeans aren't acceptable. Most places here are jeans or khakis and the stores shirt they give you.

But khakis are easy to find and usually cheap and I can find ones that fit how I like them. Khakis don't have to be high waisted and loose there are plenty of ones that are super low rise and fitted so its not like I'd be unhappy wearing them.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Oh and that's retail for you.
Go into hollister, American eagle etc and they are wearing the clothes, the hotter you look the better in those stores.

You wear what you sell, working where I did last I couldn't wear the clothes but we still dressed the part.
It's all part of the selling game. I used the fact that I was wearing that stuff to make those sales. "Get your shorts and flip flops now, I already got all my shorts out of the closet this year and we've been selling through them fast so get them while we have them in the size you need."

People see others wearing something they'll be inclined to buy it.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:31 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Oh and that's retail for you.
Go into hollister, American eagle etc and they are wearing the clothes, the hotter you look the better in those stores.

You wear what you sell, working where I did last I couldn't wear the clothes but we still dressed the part.
It's all part of the selling game. I used the fact that I was wearing that stuff to make those sales. "Get your shorts and flip flops now, I already got all my shorts out of the closet this year and we've been selling through them fast so get them while we have them in the size you need."

People see others wearing something they'll be inclined to buy it.
Honey, I have worked retail. That isn't "retail", it is the lazy people in retail who have no self-respect or care about respect of a company. "The hotter you look the better the stores" Ripped jeans and flip flops !=hot. Sorry, but I shop AE all the time here and in no way are they allowed to wear clothes like you claim. Apparently the managers here understand what appropriate work attire means

Old 04-05-2013, 01:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Honey, I have worked retail. That isn't "retail", it is the lazy people in retail who have no self-respect or care about respect of a company. "The hotter you look the better the stores" Ripped jeans and flip flops !=hot. Sorry, but I shop AE all the time here and in no way are they allowed to wear clothes like you claim. Apparently the managers here understand what appropriate work attire means
I worked retail once. We weren't even allowed to wear pants unless we had on a 3-piece outfit.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:19 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I worked retail once. We weren't even allowed to wear pants unless we had on a 3-piece outfit.
LOL, when I worked retail we had to wear dresses, stockings and heels. Yeah, it was a while ago.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
LOL, when I worked retail we had to wear dresses, stockings and heels. Yeah, it was a while ago.
Ok that's mall and strip mall retail for ya.

Go up to boulder everyone had dreads tye dye and flip flops. Most people look like hipsters or hippies running those stores.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:02 PM

Boobs butts and bra straps. That's all my boss cares about, don't let your butt hang out, son let you boobs fall out and don't let your bra straps show.

I don't really get the straps one cause when wearing a tank top it's unavoidable and girls these days have like three straps visible and you can't tell what is what. I have on a spaghetti strap shirt, a cami underneath and a bra, all the straps are the same size and you can't tell what is what.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I worked at AE, in the summer we wore tank tops and shorts, jeans and tank tops, if it was sold in the store we wore it when I worked there we could wear anything but hollister or anything without a logo from a competitor.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:54 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I understand that stores marketing to teens are going to have a more lax dress code but I have to say I'm surprised they allow flip flops. Many work environments disallow flip flops simply on a safety basis. Somethings falls or gets caught and your foot is injured while working it is a liability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.