Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 05:32 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times

Advertisements

Texas honor student thrown in jail for missing school* - NY Daily News

She should be awarded not jailed.

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-27-2012 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 09:46 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
That judge should be ashamed of himself.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:14 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
I agree that the judge should be ashamed of himself on this one. Texas has a record, btw, of going after truants even in situations where the parents have doctors notes. It's totally nuts!

Criminal Truancy Laws in Texas | eHow.com

This is from one of my local groups in 2011 (names deleted). The original post talked about having doctors treating her dd

My daughter and I have been hit with truancy charges. She ran a fever from 4/12 until 6/7. I was seeing and talking to the counselor, picking up work for her and turning in her completed work, communicating with her teachers, etc. She actually passed most of her classes - the one she didn't pass she still has to take a final in - Chemistry - so she still has a chance of passing.

We went to court on 6/24, where the judge declared that he would research and decide if she could have credit for the entire year. We are in a holding pattern right now. Meanwhile, she isn't finishing school work or taking finals because we don't know if she is going to get credit.

I was told that fever is a school issue and this is truancy court.

I am totally lost here. I thought I was communicating with the school, doing what I needed to do to help my daughter, scared to death because no one still knows what she had or when she would be well. I'm so thankful she is well.

From another poster:

this is the 3rd instance I’ve heard recently of this happening where the student has a legitimate illness, well documented, and they are faced with (and in the other 2 cases I know of) had to pay the charges, even though their child was ill.

And from another person who experienced a similar situation

I'm not sure what help I can offer, but I can tell you my daughter and I went through something very similar this year. I did my BEST to work closely with teachers, make sure I stayed in communication with staff and teachers about her heath situation(s). I had to practically beg some of the teachers (others
were great and very supportive)for work she could do at home, and even then some of them simply never returned emails or phone calls. Even though we went through 2 car accidents and a very strange virus that laid her out for almost 2 weeks -- and had doctor's notes for all that -- we got told if she missed even ONE SINGLE more day, we'd be slapped with truancy charges of $500 plus have to go to court. It was a nightmare. My daughter told me the truancy officers were very unprofessional -- they dogged her about her absences, threatened her with all kinds of trouble if they even just happened to see her in the hallway. I have to say at least the principal, ass't principal, and her counselor were VERY
kind and helpful - as much as they could be -- but the "truancy" deal when your kid genuinely has medical issues is just out of control.

Update on what happened to the mom and child
My daughter was out of school with a fever from 4/12 until the end of school and even though I was in communication with the counselor, picking up work and turning work, the school filed truancy charges against my daughter and myself.

After a horrible, degraded and demoralizing day in court, we decided that ****** would complete her work as agreed upon by the counselor and her teachers, even though we had no idea if she would get credit. If the judge was going to pull her credits for the entire year, it seemed silly to be doing make up work. She completed her work and passed all her classes.

****** and I got called to visit with the counselor regarding her credits early August and I explained that when we went back to court, the judge was threatening to pull ******'s credits. The counselor didn't like that and started communicating with the outreach and attendance officer. The outreach and attendance office sent an officer to stay at the court until they could visit with the judge. The outreach and attendance officer ended up advocating for ****** to keep her credits with the judge, saying that ****** had done the work and they didn't want to take credits away from a kid who was doing the work. They also didn't like the fact that six weeks into the school year, the judge would try to move a kid from junior to sophomore status! More work for them.

After a couple more rounds, the school has dropped the charges. We don't have to go back to court. The judge has been informed that she has attended every day this year. Yeah! And my daughter gets to keep her credits and has been promoted.

I was misled by several people at the school. People telling me that if I got them such and such paperwork, they could drop the charges, etc. Told that they were just filing charges to cover their butt with the state. My trust in these people is way down! But I do want to praise ****** - the clerk in truancy court - she was wonderful, helpful, kind and accurate in her information and suggestions. The other person that was very helpful was ****** in the outreach and attendance office. I regret that I didn't not talk to her sooner, but after I felt like I had been lied to by a whole bunch of other ISD people, I didn't want to talk to another ISD person and I certainly didn't want to give them any more paperwork to turn and use against us. I want to include this information in case anyone else finds themselves facing false truancy charges, so hopefully, they can get help and information.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:57 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Just another SUPER LOUSY judge....Judge Moriarty is a big-time jerk, and if nothing more he's teaching this young woman that there is no justice in the law.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:11 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,878 times
Yeah, let's put her in jail and punish her, rather than finding her some type of help, so she doesn't miss school, because she has to work full time to support her family, since her parents left them.

I guess this judge would rather she dropped out of school entirely, which is unfortunately, what some kids end up doing.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:25 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
If she was in Seattle, I know someone would set up a foundation where people could donate money to help her out-- and that a lot of people here would. A rather unfortunate situation, and I can only hope her siblings fully appreciate the sacrifices the girl is making.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:51 AM

153 posts, read 521,226 times
As an educator and a parent, this story made my blood boil. Judge Moriarty seems to have no true sense of justice. Since he was so anxious to make this girl "an example", I hope the voters make him an example and vote him out during the next election.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
I seriously wonder, if there was some racial bias in this entire situation. After all, I have known many other kids in the same situation, who never got in any trouble...but they were not Asian.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:33 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I seriously wonder, if there was some racial bias in this entire situation. After all, I have known many other kids in the same situation, who never got in any trouble...but they were not Asian.
No it's just texas, i don't think most judges there have much in the way of brain cells.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
read today the people of USA have donated over $90,000 to this student and her family. I hope the jerk judge is voted out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting