Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 05:07 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,216,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Plus she runs the risk of hurting a student feelings.
Are hurt feelings always bad? I learned a lot from hurt feelings. I remember a time when someone called me a jerk. Hurt my feelings badly. But... it was true! I had to own that. Lesson learned. If you are a jerk, you get told. You don't do your homework.... Eight is a little young not to get good guidance from home though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 05:15 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,627,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sorry if you took that the wrong way. Which I think you did. (Though I'm not sure what "someone like you" means.)

I was giving an example of a societal pressure most of us conform to.

(I happen to resist a few myself. Code of the Boomers. Maybe that's why I'm wanting to know the teacher's side rather than condemn her without knowing the facts.)
That's ok, and "someone like you"
means someone like you who believes giving that kind of award somehow will help that child do her homework. It might, it might have the opposite effect. I don't see how you know either actually. We do know it obviously didn't sit well with her or her mom.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
You seem to have bought hook, line, and sinker into the liberal parenting crap that's poisoning generations of kids. It is the job of a parent to be a parent, not to let junior rule the roost just so you can be their friend and build up their so fragile self-esteem with awards for showing up and money for going to school. Parents need to take back parenting and DO THEIR JOB. You go to school, study, do your homework. End of story.
okie dokie Thanks for your insight.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:31 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,216,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
You seem to have bought hook, line, and sinker into the liberal parenting crap that's poisoning generations of kids.
Pshaw. I wear my liberal label with pride. Don't lay that nonsense on liberals. It is about being ineffective. You don't need to be liberal or conservative to be ineffective. You just need to be unaware.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Are hurt feelings always bad? I learned a lot from hurt feelings. I remember a time when someone called me a jerk. Hurt my feelings badly. But... it was true! I had to own that. Lesson learned. If you are a jerk, you get told. You don't do your homework.... Eight is a little young not to get good guidance from home though.
Feelings can be hurt by a lot of things, especially peers. You can learn a lot of things by being hurt, I agree.

Some parents think a child should get the hint of bad behavior by using sarcastic comments, some would sit the child down and have a talk, require the student to show completed homework and inform her of consequences if it wasn't finished in a calm matter. Some would spank her if they found out she didn't do her homework.
All parents are different and parent differently.

But a teacher teaches a variety of kids, from all backgrounds and I think the teachers style should be in line with that in mind.

I just don't think a teacher should use this technique to guide her students to perform better nor do I think she should encourage laughing at the faults of other students. School is public, everyone is different, not everyone reacts well to this kind of behavior. There are better choices for a teacher, imo. It's not like she didn't have choices.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:38 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,402,721 times
Quote:
As Julia said, context is important. I'd like to know the context of this. It's very possible this was an "in" joke in the classroom. If it WAS malicious my opinion would be different. But we don't know, do we?.
I don't think context is important enough in this case to make the difference between wrong and justified. This just isn't a good idea, no matter what your intentions are.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:22 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,362,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I don't think context is important enough in this case to make the difference between wrong and justified. This just isn't a good idea, no matter what your intentions are.
Is any joke or good-natured ribbing ever a good idea then?

Old 05-31-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Is any joke or good-natured ribbing ever a good idea then?
Sure, if you're talking about an adult or maybe a teenager and everyone you're hoping to amuse with the joke is a friend of theirs. But you don't do this sort of thing to a kid in front of just peers. It's common sense, really.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,251,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
means someone like you who believes giving that kind of award somehow will help that child do her homework.
But I don't believe that.

Sorry. We are really crossing wires on this one.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
But I don't believe that.

Sorry. We are really crossing wires on this one.
That's bound to happen when the subject is what the teacher did and everyone wants to talk about what the parent should've done differently to prevent the supposed problem believed to be the catalyst for the teacher's behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
The thing that I find most disturbing is the fact that an EIGHT YEAR OLD both has homework, and was enrolled in some kind of afterschool homework program. The whole situation is ridiculous.
I've never agreed with the idea of homework at all, myself. If it's too much work for your average student to finish at school (there should always be a homeroom, imo, and it should be the last period of the school day), it's too much work. If a kid's below average in how fast they can finish their assignments, fine. They can take the rest home. But I don't see the need for making work specifically to take home. It's overkill. /rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting