Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:38 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
He's a spoiled little jerk. Sometimes the best antidote is a good old-fashioned a** kicking. Not all problems can be resolved through conversations, therapy, and U.N. peace resolutions.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:39 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
He's a spoiled little jerk. Sometimes the best antidote is a good old-fashioned a** kicking. Not all problems can be resolved through conversations, therapy, and U.N. peace resolutions.
Children don't just spontaneously arrive "spoiled". That kid is the product of a lack of parenting all the way around not just a lack of corporal punishment.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:46 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
People who hit their children are mostly toothless rednecks and ignorant ghetto people. Your kids really will resent and hate you when they grow up if you're always wailing on them.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:50 PM

701 posts, read 1,563,518 times
"Hitting" is not the same as "discipline". I equate hitting a child with slapping them around; abusing them, if you will. Discipline is a spank on the behind or a slap on the hand when talking or time out doesn't work and if the child understands why they deserved the discipline, it will not scar them for life. At the same time, each and every child takes discipline differently.

As for the OP's original question, the child may have acted up in the store but we don't know what the mom did when they got home.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:52 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
Quote:
Wow...I can only hope ambient radiation has rendered you sterile. You sound more like you need anger management and therapy when you have so much hostility toward children. I had nasty bullies as parents, I'm sure in your world children are just vermin to be beat on whenever you feel a little conniption fit coming on but your respect for other humans is apalling.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:52 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,052,419 times
I think it's important to remember, as someone mentioned, every child is different, and reacts to discipline differently. While not every child will have to be spanked, it's short sighted to think that no one should ever have to use it. Time outs, grounding, taking away privileges don't/won't always work for every child, and for some children, even some children I know (including myself at times), spanking did get the message across.

Let me point out that in my case, it wasn't for everything at every time, but would occur if I did something very dangerous (i.e. opening the door of a moving car, etc.), or if I still didn't listen after other methods of discipline. And when I was spanked, I was told why it happened and was given the understanding of the consequences of my actions. I don't regret the spankings I received as a child because I knew at those times that was what I needed. I didn't see it as abuse and knew I was still loved, as my parents made sure I remembered that if I did get a spanking.

People can say what they will about how spankings are always wrong, but kids of yesteryear were spanked, and anyone who is familiar with or has worked with the children of today notice a difference. Kids of yesteryear may have been spanked more, but they didn't have the lack of disrespect and talk down to their parents/teachers/authority figures that I've been seeing more in kids today. There's no way I could talk, hit, spit, etc. my parents the way I see some kids I have worked with do to me and their teachers and parents. It would not have been tolerated with yesterday's parents/authority figures. This isn't to say kids of previous generations were perfect, or that there aren't still polite, repectful children today, but such behaviors that I and others now see, were unheard of/rare with the previous generations.

As I said, spankings aren't for every child or every case, as I also think spanking too much can lead to its own problems; but I notice another extreme in parents who seem afraid to discipline their children in any way. It seems these parents (and government itself at times) give children too much authority over adults/elders, and that is another problem within itself. There needs to be a medium, and no single method is a one size fits all for every child.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
"Hitting" is not the same as "discipline". I equate hitting a child with slapping them around; abusing them, if you will. Discipline is a spank on the behind or a slap on the hand when talking or time out doesn't work and if the child understands why they deserved the discipline, it will not scar them for life. At the same time, each and every child takes discipline differently.

As for the OP's original question, the child may have acted up in the store but we don't know what the mom did when they got home.
Spanking does not equate to discipline either. There is far more to effective discipline than spanking or time outs.

And really if you think hitting and spanking are somehow not the same thing. Go spank a random stranger and see if they think you hit them or not.

Just because it is small person does not change the fact that you are hitting them.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:13 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Spanking does not equate to discipline either. There is far more to effective discipline than spanking or time outs.
My objection is to the speaking of any one tiny tactic as if it encompassed a discipline strategy. Hitting (call it spanking for those for whom that appeases), time outs used as some misguided punishment are all just small tactics. A good discipline strategy involves a whole lot more than what punishment you whip out when your child is "naughty". Hell we cause most of the naughty by our punitive behavior, assuming kids are strongly motivated to misbehave by default.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:42 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,425,834 times
When my brothers and I were younger our mom would take us to a store. If we were bad in the store, she would take us in the bathroom and tap our hand or behind. One time was enough. After that all she had to say was I'll take you in the bathroom. We knew what that meant and was always on our best behavior with mom.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:11 AM

500 posts, read 748,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I think it's important to remember, as someone mentioned, every child is different, and reacts to discipline differently. While not every child will have to be spanked, it's short sighted to think that no one should ever have to use it. Time outs, grounding, taking away privileges don't/won't always work for every child, and for some children, even some children I know (including myself at times), spanking did get the message across.

Let me point out that in my case, it wasn't for everything at every time, but would occur if I did something very dangerous (i.e. opening the door of a moving car, etc.), or if I still didn't listen after other methods of discipline. And when I was spanked, I was told why it happened and was given the understanding of the consequences of my actions. I don't regret the spankings I received as a child because I knew at those times that was what I needed. I didn't see it as abuse and knew I was still loved, as my parents made sure I remembered that if I did get a spanking.
This is called 'Caretaker Acceptance'. Studies have been done that suggest children accept spanking and even abusive punishment if they believe that their caretaker(usually parents) love and accept them. If they believe the punishment is being done out of rejection then they perceive the punishment as being abusive (Caretaker Rejection). So this means a child's need for parental acceptance is powerful and hence why we hear the 'I deserved it' reasoning from adults when they consider their childhoods.

To reject this way of discipline, especially if it's all a child knows, is to reject their parents. I think this is why corporal punishment continues to be passed down through generations despite evidence of its detrimental effects. This is not to say the quoted poster did not 'turn out all right' or that others haven't as well, but what it does say is the tie parents have to their children is already to their advantage, and corporal punishment is superfluous (imo). It should also be said that any number of discipline techniques (including spanking) will have a failure rate which is directly related to the age of a child and their stage of development. By nature, we learn through trial and error so the use of punitive methods, and yes, even time outs can be punitive, is also less likely to get positive results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting