Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 03:56 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times

Advertisements

And how close do you live to them? I'm wondering b/c my ex only chooses to see my 17 yo about 1x/week or even slightly less and then only for about an hour as he'll come over to get her and take her to a fastfood restaurant and then brings her right home. He almost never takes her over to his place and has never kept her for the night though he does take her on trips sometimes. He lives right here in the same city and about 20 min away so no excuse there. My college girl lives right over by him and I don't think he makes any effort with her at all. Is this normal? Average? I think it hurts the girls, esp as he was no more attentive when I was out of town every weekend attending to my dying mother. I wouldn't be so upset if he didn't blame me for everything that goes wrong with the girls, though I've had no help from anyone, since both grandparents were totally disinterested from the beginning. Oh heck, I guess this has turned into a rant but I'm wondering what other folks do.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:44 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
I used to see my son whenever I could, and it's not much 1-2 times/week, 10 hrs +/-. Sometimes in the middle of a week. I live about 80 miles away. But for now I removed myself from his life. I'm not going to fight over every darn nothing with a disrespectful controlling biatch. It's not good for him to see. I gave her a simple choice, a father for her child or whatever nonsense she decided to do regardless of my opinion (there was no discussion to begin with, just a statement). She's made a predictable choice. And it was absolute non issue (for a sane woman) to argue about. She's chose her way over having a father for her child. It's not going to get any better in the future, so it's better to remove myself when he's very young. I'm not in a position to fight for a joint custody. I'll not be driving 80 miles to be empty space to be disrespected and disregarded, this kind of woman behavior is not good for him to see again. If she will not damage him beyond point of no return, I hope to be his father. Sounds somewhat cruel. But the point is, think twice before fathering a child with a woman, especially "independent" controlling biatches..

Old 08-12-2012, 04:46 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
No, op, I don't think that's normal.
I think that's lazy and inconsiderate.

My divorced dad friends FIGHT for every minute (and 2 even fought for and won FULL CUSTODY) with their children.

Nothing says, "I don't care" like not prioritizing something.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:49 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I used to see my son whenever I could, and it's not much 1-2 times/week, 10 hrs +/-. Sometimes in the middle of a week. I live about 80 miles away. But for now I removed myself from his life. I'm not going to fight over every darn nothing with a disrespectful controlling biatch. It's not good for him to see. I gave her a simple choice, a father for her child or whatever nonsense she decided to do regardless of my opinion. She's made a predictable choice. And it was absolute non issue (for a sane woman) to argue about. She's chose her way over having a father for her child. It's not going to get any better in the future, so it's better to remove myself when he's very young. I'm not in a position to fight for a joint custody. I'll not be driving 80 miles to be empty space to be disrespected and disregarded, this kind of woman behavior is not good for him to see again. If she will not damage him beyond point of no return, I hope to be his father. Sounds somewhat cruel. But the point is, think twice before fathering a child with a woman, especially "independent" controlling biatches..
Tragic you let your issues with an adult keep you from parenting your child.

I would never walk away from my child because it is clear that children do best with both parents in their lives. And to walk away over being inconvenienced is sad.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Tragic you let your issues with an adult keep you from parenting your child.

I would never walk away from my child because it is clear that children do best with both parents in their lives. And to walk away over being inconvenienced is sad.
No. Being inconvenienced AND having his feelings hurt.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:53 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
I find that "seeing" your child doesn't make you a father. If you can see him (on her terms) and you contribute nothing to the decisions affecting his life (only child support), why fool yourself? What kind of fathering is that? If you can, fight for a full/joint custody. If you can't, you should have thought about this possibility before the act of conception. There is little you can do to remain a father.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:54 PM

There's more to being a parent than getting to tell someone what to do.

I do think your situation sucks, though, RM.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:12 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I find that "seeing" your child doesn't make you a father. If you can see him (on her terms) and you contribute nothing to the decisions affecting his life (only child support), why fool yourself? What kind of fathering is that? If you can, fight for a full/joint custody. If you can't, you should have thought about this possibility before the act of conception. There is little you can do to remain a father.
It is the kind where it is better for a child to have a father, and no that his father loves him enough to put up with the drama.

What you have now told your child is he is not worth putting up with a PITA mom for.

THAT SUCKS.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:34 PM

292 posts, read 891,584 times
The custody agreement I have is a 50/50 split. One week with my daughter one week without and on the week without I have her for 4 hours on Wed. night. The ex and I live within 5 miles of each other which makes it easier. When my ex asked for a divorce I told her that the only 2 things I wanted were my daughter and the dog. If she wouldn't agree to that I'd fight her with every dollar I have and everything I could borrow.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:38 PM

Let's NOT forget the dog.
Hell or high water...you won't take my dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting