Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:43 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times

Advertisements

many parents manage just fine with a regular sedan. Is your civic 2-door or 4-door? That could make the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Yes. Absolutely. You must get either a Suburban or a minivan. Then be sure to learn the secret parenting handshake and password or they won't let you purchase diapers at Target anymore.

Every family is differernt. A lot depends on how much driving you'll be doing. And what kind of driving. With one child, and everyday driving the only thing that I would say is be sure you have a 4 door car. Maneuvering children in and out of a carseat in a 2 door car can really get old quickly. After that? Just see how it goes. You'll figure out what works for you....and that's all that matters.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,761,161 times
I just dont see the appeal of a van personally, unless i had maybe 5 kids, but still even then, i'd rather take 2 cars then drive such an ugly and impractical (MPG wise) van.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:47 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
I'm a minivan mom. It's lame but gets better gas mileage than anything comparably roomy in the same price range, and I can't afford whatever new hybrid low MPG fancy crossover is selling for $40K. It fits seven people and our stuff, and we have a tow hitch.

For one kid? A sedan is fine. When we had one baby, she was in the backseat of my Camaro. Trying to put a baby in the backseat, in a backward-facing car seat when you only have two doors is super fun.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I just dont see the appeal of a van personally, unless i had maybe 5 kids, but still even then, i'd rather take 2 cars then drive such an ugly and impractical (MPG wise) van.
I'm not following ... two cars burn more fuel than my van does.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,761,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm not following ... two cars burn more fuel than my van does.
We drive diesels, so we average over 40 MPG each car.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
We drive diesels, so we average over 40 MPG each car.
Ah. Driving two cars sounds like a royal pain to me, but whatever shakes your tree. Sometimes both adults can't go to the same place, but I think a regular car is fine for one or even two kids.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:54 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Well....to me, I'd rather be a bit more frugal and greener. A minivan may not be "sexy" but can hold a lot, for a relatively low cost in purchase price, insurance, maintenance and fuel. Personally, I'd rather use that money elsewhere. For us, that was the better choice. We drove 12 hours each way to visit family out of state frequently. With 2 kids, all their stuff and a large dog. Then there was sports practice and games. The ability to carpool, with gear, was very appealing and freed up my schedule. Eventually, there were school dances and other activities. Being the mom who was willing and able to drive a number of kids allowed me to get to know my children's friends in a unique way. All of that was more important (to me) than what I drove, or how people perceived me based on what I drove.

Alas, those days have passed and I haven't had a minivan in a number of years and I don't miss driving one. But I don't regret the choice either. It was the right vehicle for us at the time.

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-26-2012 at 09:10 AM..

Old 08-26-2012, 09:05 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
That doesn't make sense. Having to take 2 cars everywhere is not practical for most families.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:16 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,605,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Ok I am a dad to be, and feel like my civics might be small for carting around a kid, a pack-n-play and a BOB during normal day to day life. Am I mistaken, is it easy to get kids in and out of small cars?

Additionally I am going on two coast to coast trips when my baby will be 4 months old, the previously mentioned items will be coming with, as will three duffels and one large suitcase (as well as a food processor to make the baby food and some dishes for mom and dad. Do you think the car will suffice?

I also posted on the car forum, but that was more in regards to rooftop boxes (a possiable inbetween getting a mini van and keeping what I have).
Keep what you have. There are people who do it with cars smaller than yours. You'll be fine. You'll also find you really don't need to cart all of that stuff around. I kept a pack'n play at my parents because I was there often, but you know what a blanket works just as well. Plus a blanket is a lot easier to set up. I'd still buy the food processor (a 20 dollar blender from wall-mart makes baby food too). You can also pick up cheapo plastic plates there for under a 1$.

I especially recommend keeping what you have if it's paid for. There is no reason to take on a car payment if you don't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting