Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
-having to stop and change messy diapers on the side of a highway ... (you know, the ones that involve trying to take off a onesie that is covered in poop while trying not to get it all over their hair, sometimes involving an early bathtime).
-having to stop and feed them five to six times a day, then sit and burp them.
-having to stop when they want to be held and rocked
-having to stop when they are screaming at the top of their lungs as you've just merged back on the highway and you're not quite sure what's wrong.
-having to unload all their stuff in and out of the car at every hotel room.
-having to stop for gas, JUST as they have finally gotten back to sleep, and having them wake up.
-having limited ways to enertain them when they are strapped in a carseat for hours.
-doing all this as a first time parent.

sounds like a blast.... not saying it can't be done, just lol.
Just reading this made me scared. LOL!!!!!!!!
Love these kids!
My wife went on a 4 hour trip to Houston - had to stop multiple times and did have the poopsplosion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 10:45 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
May have to argue the "crappy gas mileage"....it really depends on how many people and stuff is being hauled. IIRC my minivan got 23 or so mpg on the highway. If I were carrying 4 kids plus all of their baseball/football gear then you'd most likely be comparing it to either 2 small sedans or an SUV to get the same amount of kids/equipment from place A to place B. Which, after a few years, is never in a nearby, convenient location BTW.

Are you doing this every day? No but as the kids get older, you may be doing this more than you thought.
In the 20s highway, maybe.
But around town, most minivans will leave you in the teens.
Vs a small suv where you can get 20s town/30s highway without turning in your man card.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:50 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Nawh...just get a car...I made that mistake..I walked onto the car lot and asked- "What do you have that seats Six with room to spare?" I got this nice upscale van...out of the few years I had it...I think I only had the WHOLE family in it twice...

Old 08-27-2012, 10:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Vs a small suv where you can get 20s town/30s highway without turning in your man card.
But IME, most folks who are in the "never find me in a minivan" camp are not buying small SUVs. It's all about a Suburban, or a Tahoe or a Sequoia. And perhaps it's somewhat where we live. I dunno. There is this thought process that people have that you can never ever drive into the mountains, or even around town if it snows, without a huge 4WD SUV.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:51 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Maybe that's why I love my minivan so much. One less pesky thing to carry around. The man card, that is.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:54 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Our van has a laminated mancard attached. It was placed there when Mr. Zim discovered you could easily transport 8 x 4 sheetrock in the back.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Our van has a laminated mancard attached. It was placed there when Mr. Zim discovered you could easily transport 8 x 4 sheetrock in the back.
Yeah, I have carried landscaping block, pavers, drywall, deck boards, chairs, etc in our minivan. The van isn't manly, but I use it in manly ways...haha.

I still aspire to a sedan some day, but everytime I think about, it I think about the utlity of the van, too.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:52 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Anyone ever heard of the term "SPCD"? It stands for "Small penis compensation device"? It usually comes in the form of a monster truck, muscle car without a muffler or an extra loud motorcycles. Maybe, just maybe, a man driving a minivan has what would be known as "LPCD". Just something to ponder.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:54 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
I guess I just don't get the "hate minivans" mentality. Get the car you want and can afford.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:05 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I guess I just don't get the "hate minivans" mentality. Get the car you want and can afford.
I don't really like the way minivans look. I think hate is to strong a word but I don't care for them. I never knew it was a "mentality" to not like something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting