Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:09 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I guess I just don't get the "hate minivans" mentality. Get the car you want and can afford.

I don't get it either. People really do have strong feelings about minivans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Anyone ever heard of the term "SPCD"? It stands for "Small penis compensation device"? It usually comes in the form of a monster truck, muscle car without a muffler or an extra loud motorcycles. Maybe, just maybe, a man driving a minivan has what would be known as "LPCD". Just something to ponder.

I think the people who think minivans are not 'manly' enough are kind of stupid, but I also think people who perpetuate this stupid "your car represents your lack of penis" mentality are kinda the same.
And I'm a woman. I think people should drive whatever they want. A manly man doesn't care if his car is a minivan or a Hummer. He drives what he likes without worrying about the idiots making fun of him for his minivan or the idiots telling him he is compensating for penis size by driving a Hummer.

Frankly, I think minivans are great, but they are so butt-ugly, I could never get one. Because the aesthetics of a car matter to me almost as much as function does. It could be the fastest car in the world (and I totally get off on speed), but if it's butt ugly, forget it. Same with mileage, utility, price, etc.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
The van isn't manly,
A van is as manly as the man driving it.

A man who is secure in himself is not going to give a flying flip that another man (or woman) thinks it isn't manly. Give me a man who pops his kids into a van to take them to the library or the aquarium or to school because he's involved in their lives over the guy who is strutting through town behind the wheel of his over-sized, gas-guzzling, huge-payment, parking-space-hogging, view-blocking, jumbo SUV any time.

Yep. Love me a Man in a Van with a bunch of kids whooping and hollering on their way to a ball game. Dead sexy.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Once you have actual experience moving kids and their stuff around on a 24-hour-a-day basis, you understand that not all "large vehicles" are suitable for hauling kids. Many sporty SUVs have less interior room, less head room and even less cargo room than other types.

The more kids you have, the more vehicle you will need. The large baby stuff only comes into play until they are about 2, and then they start to need less and less equipment and can operate seat belts/buckles more easily on their own. If you have one child, you may get by with a large sedan or small crossover like the Outback. There are little differences in the types. I have twins, and I found it more difficult to bend over and constantly buckle them in and out of a sedan, with its lower profile and smaller doors. Minivans are good for that kind of access.

When you have 3 or more, a minivan or a large SUV like a Yukon XL or Suburban will work. If your kids play sports like football or hockey or do martial arts or play a band instrument, they may have large bags of equipment that have to fit in a large rear cargo area that comes with these vehicles.

As they get into school age, you may find yourself carpooling often, with books and equipment. If you carry 3 or more kids, you will need a larger vehicle.
Its responsible for you to get a bigger vehicle. at your age its reckless to be driving around in 2 seat top dropped roadsters, that's for 20 year old's who want to party and interact with drugs and alcohol.

You have a responsibility as a parent to provide your children a safe environment. for example on road trips a mini-van pertaining suitable damage protection in a vehicle collision and enough room for proper children seats to fasten and buckle.

Studys have been shown from the university Of California: development and crash test research experts have proven that "having a mini van decreases chance of injury or death to your infant or toddler by 93%"

I am a Father of 3 kids and I have put aside my reckless behavior long ago in my 20's and decided to become a responsible adult and trade in my Mazda Miata/motorcycle for a 2007 Kia Sedona mini-van.

Believe me its the best thing I have ever done. Yes its good too feel young again but please don't endanger your children in small compact vehicles. Especially if you plan to have more children along the way.

Keep it safe and congratulations on being a first time father its a great experience!

Best Regards
-Dr. Macintyre

Last edited by JustJulia; 08-28-2012 at 05:31 AM..

Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

A man who is secure in himself is not going to give a flying flip that another man (or woman) thinks it isn't manly. Give me a man who pops his kids into a van to take them to the library or the aquarium or to school because he's involved in their lives over the guy who is strutting through town behind the wheel of his over-sized, gas-guzzling, huge-payment, parking-space-hogging, view-blocking, jumbo SUV any time.

Yep. Love me a Man in a Van with a bunch of kids whooping and hollering on their way to a ball game. Dead sexy.
So the same guy is less sexy in an SUV?

Old 08-27-2012, 12:34 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosyomomma View Post
Its responsible for you to get a bigger vehicle. at your age its reckless to be driving around in 2 seat top dropped roadsters, that's for 20 year old's who want to party and interact with drugs and alcohol.

A car preference is an indicator drug use? WTF?

Old 08-27-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

I think the people who think minivans are not 'manly' enough are kind of stupid, but I also think people who perpetuate this stupid "your car represents your lack of penis" mentality are kinda the same.
And I'm a woman. I think people should drive whatever they want. A manly man doesn't care if his car is a minivan or a Hummer. He drives what he likes without worrying about the idiots making fun of him for his minivan or the idiots telling him he is compensating for penis size by driving a Hummer.

Frankly, I think minivans are great, but they are so butt-ugly, I could never get one. Because the aesthetics of a car matter to me almost as much as function does. It could be the fastest car in the world (and I totally get off on speed), but if it's butt ugly, forget it. Same with mileage, utility, price, etc.
I know I have a dry sense of humor but I thought it was pretty obvious that I was joking about the SPCD and the LPCD. Guess not, huh?

Old 08-27-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Hawt!

Old 08-27-2012, 01:51 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

I do too. But I also used to joke around when DH and I were first dating and he was carless. I said that was why he didn't even need a car.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:44 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Nothing like turning in a Shelby Mustang, for a Mini-van....You know your life has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting