Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
LOL! Don't forget vaccines.
Haha! How could I forget vaccines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 07:58 AM

17,379 posts, read 16,518,282 times
This is starting to sound like a "build your own sundae"! I'll add another topping - young children in restaurants.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
This is starting to sound like a "build your own sundae"! I'll add another topping - young children in restaurants.
And working mom vs. SAHM cage match for the cherry on top!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:28 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Odd. I don't know one single parent who thinks science is an evil conspiracy to hurt their kids. Nope. Can't think of a one.
Seriously?

Anyone who turns away from the quantitative and in-depth and exhaustive peer reviewed studies on vaccinations, and even disciplined cry it out. . .instead say things like "its been that way for 100's of years, so it must be okay" or "I have seen a lot of kids, and they all had vaccines"

They have turned away from science.

Anyone who believes that all authorities (hospitals, doctors, cdc, etc) are in some evil conspiracy to vaccination your kids and give them autism. . .has turned away from science and believes in a big evil conspiracy.

I'm not sure what the conspiracy is for cry-it-out other than fallible human reason must be smarter than research.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Seriously?
Seriously. I don't hang with the evil conspiracy crowd. (They ain't much fun.)

Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Glad you bought up that thread. I hope people will read it, the threat to women's right to privacy regarding their personal medical decisions is indeed an important topic.
Abortion is not a "personal medical decision": it kills babies and scars women for life. But that's OK with you, unlike spanking which is cruel and inexcusable.

And you don't grasp my reasoning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I still don't understand why training via slapping and entrapping your child is okay, yet you have the heebeejeebies about parents training their children to soothe themselves to sleep.
What is it with your weird obsession with "entrapment"? Toddlers will disobey. Establishing a controlled situation, where a toddler's self-will can be managed without danger or anger, is only "entrapment" if you think of toddlers as criminals, and a slap on the hand or a swat on the bottom as a prison sentence.

Discipline is an expression of love and is good for the child. CIO is not discipline, at least not the kind of discipline the child understands. It's just a terrifying void. It's very important to realize that the physical pain of spanking (not much pain is needed at two years old) is in a rational and comprehensible context with lots of communication. The child understands what is happening, why it is happening, and how to behave so that it doesn't happen again. Additionally it's in the context of a relationship: it's personal. With CIO, on the other hand, there is no "there" there, no relationship, no possibility of communication or understanding, just a feeling of abandonment, confusion and emptiness.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 10-09-2012 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 02:21 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Nonsense. You don't abandon your kids with CIO. With some techniques, you go in and pat them every 5 or 10 minutes. That just fired our kids up and made them scream louder. So we learned to stay out of their room and just call to them in a gentle voice "your o.k. sweet boy. It's time to go to sleep. Calm down." And after a while, they did calm down and go to sleep. Within a few days they were sleeping through the night, no issues what-so-ever.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:48 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Nonsense. You don't abandon your kids with CIO. With some techniques, you go in and pat them every 5 or 10 minutes. That just fired our kids up and made them scream louder. So we learned to stay out of their room and just call to them in a gentle voice "your o.k. sweet boy. It's time to go to sleep. Calm down." And after a while, they did calm down and go to sleep. Within a few days they were sleeping through the night, no issues what-so-ever.
Well, like anything else, CIO comes in degrees. I'm thinking of parents who have adopted a CIO philosophy from infancy, where CIO happens multiple times every day for many months. What you describe doesn't sound harmful for purposes of sleeping through the night (but in my opinion babies are meant to sleep with their mamas!), especially if it's over in a few days and the child understands what is going on.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 10-09-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Well, like anything else, CIO comes in degrees. I'm thinking of parents who have adopted a CIO philosophy from infancy, where CIO happens multiple times every day for many months. What you describe doesn't sound harmful for purposes of sleeping through the night (but in my opinion babies are meant to sleep with their mamas!).
With all due respect, and I'm sure there are some parents somewhere who try to let their 1 month old cry to sleep, what you are describing isn't CIO. CIO is not recommended under 6 months of age, and should not be necessary for months on end - the longest time frame I've seen in the literature is about two weeks before the child learns to soothe him/herself to sleep with minimal to no fuss, and that is with gradual intervals of the parent soothing the child every few minutes to less frequent soothing. I would agree with the scenario you described as being undesirable. It's just not any kind of recognized CIO.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:13 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
It's very important to realize that the physical pain of spanking (not much pain is needed at two years old) is in a rational and comprehensible context with lots of communication. The child understands what is happening, why it is happening, and how to behave so that it doesn't happen again. Additionally it's in the context of a relationship: it's personal.
You have got to be freaking kidding me! Please do tell from where you gleaned this pearl of wisdom, the Warren Jeffs Parenting Handbook?

Last edited by Zimbochick; 10-09-2012 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting