Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:48 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes, yes, yes, and so said parents about Elvis, The Beatles, yadda yadda.
And those parents were absolutely right about Elvis, The Beatles, et al.

Rock music has always been a powerful vehicle of rebellion and immorality.

And today we are living the dream.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 10-15-2012 at 12:56 PM..

Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
I think the OP is yanking our chain. Seriously.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
while the depraved and immoral anti-culture represented by "Sexy and I Know It", which destroys the soul, is just peachy.
Ummm... That video is a take-off/parody of the Venice Beach culture.

Bad Mother Alert: I used to take my kids to Venice Beach to watch the basketball games on the courts there. Some of the best athletes in L.A. (including pros) play pick-up games there. Pretty sure we never saw anyone stripping to their thongs and bouncing what Momma gave them in our faces. I'd remember that.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Ummm... That video is a take-off/parody of the Venice Beach culture.
And that makes it OK?

Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I think the OP is yanking our chain. Seriously.

This has to be the case.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Ah, youth corrupted by the Beatles and Elvis, as determined by the Catholic church. Funny how during my years of Catholic school both artists were played in the gym during dances. Yes! We danced! It's kind of tough to find a dancing beat in hymnals. And somehow, we grew up without horns, and become decent law abiding citizens.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:24 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
And those parents were absolutely right about Elvis, The Beatles, et al.

Rock music has always been a powerful vehicle of rebellion and immorality.

And today we are living the dream.
I'll take the "rebellion and immorality" of Elvis, The Beatles and LMFAO as influences on my children long before I allow them to be influenced by the immorality and hypocrisy of the Catholic Church. How ironic that someone proudly proclaiming having been awarded the Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice for service to their infallible leader would be railing against the sexualizing influence of a rock band. What was that old saying about people in glass houses? Don't preach Catholic values as superior to any other as long as the Church retains its belief in the infallibility of the Pope and protects the scum that have preyed on innocent and vulnerable children worldwide. The Catholic Church has no moral highground to be preaching to the rest of us on these matters.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:31 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I'll take the "rebellion and immorality" of Elvis, The Beatles and LMFAO as influences on my children long before I allow them to be influenced by the immorality and hypocrisy of the Catholic Church. How ironic that someone proudly proclaiming having been awarded the Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice for service to their infallible leader would be railing against the sexualizing influence of a rock band. What was that old saying about people in glass houses? Don't preach Catholic values as superior to any other as long as the Church retains its belief in the infallibility of the Pope and protects the scum that have preyed on innocent and vulnerable children worldwide. The Catholic Church has no moral highground to be preaching to the rest of us on these matters.

While I agree with you that the church has no moral high ground, I wonder what the very limited infallibility of the pope has to do with it?

Old 10-15-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If you allow your children to grow up without witnessing the real world you lose your ability to influence their values. They don't know what to think about pop culture because they have no exposure to it and you have lost your ability to imprint your values on them. The teen years are too late for that. By the time they are teens they think independently of you and the years you had to teach them to internalize your values (as they relate to pop culture) are gone.
Who said they have no exposure to it? There's a difference between exposure and immersion. Those who are immersed in pop culture have a diminished ability to evaluate it objectively.

A couple of years ago I called my oldest teens into my office for a discussion of music. They are outstanding musicians themselves. We have brought them up on classical and folk music primarily, but with some selective music from contemporary genres. Some of their friends listen to rock music, and the subject had come up in family conversations. After talking about it a bit I pulled up a video of AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" - the music of my rebellious and inglorious youth. Naturally, it disgusted them thoroughly, and they asked not to finish the video. I gladly complied.

That's a normal, healthy, human response to something like "Highway to Hell" - revulsion and disgust. But if this kind of rubbish becomes a regular diet, as it is for millions of young people today, you lose the ability to discern its evil. So, I'm all for exposure (within limits), but not immersion. Some things are best kept at a distance.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 10-15-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 10-15-2012, 01:34 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Meh. I'm not of the "pop culture corrupts our youth" school. I'm no fan of pop culture, never really have been, but as far as child rearing goes, I will lean towards open dialogue and discussion about what media is consumed over censorship (my wee ones are very wee, so I am still at the "watch the show together and talk about it" stage). IMO, mindfulness about what we are listening to or watching or consuming beats mindlessly consuming or willfully avoiding. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting