Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 PM

2,457 posts, read 3,224,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I'm not sure what you are reading, because in the thread you linked to several people have clearly spelled out that permission is not needed.

Last edited by djmaxwell; 11-06-2012 at 08:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 08:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,215,257 times
Quote:
That is actually what the OP asked. She did not want her child's picture posted on facebook. And, the controversy has been amazing...
I posted a link to another thread about taking children's pictures. Professional photographers are making points and discussing those same issues. They also mention permission and releases.
IIRC part of the OP's concern was that she saw the other mom on facebook on her phone. If the mom hadn't happened to have checked FB right then, would we even be discussing this?

Old 11-07-2012, 02:50 PM

17,431 posts, read 16,608,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
It was the father of another child who played on the same team as my kiddo. He took photos and placed them on his FB page as well as his public photo album on Picaso (google photo album). I just googled my son's name one day to see what would come up and discovered them. Then I logged in to my son's FB page (with his permission) and found tons more. Yes, it was/is weird. I mean, if it were just my kid in the background that's one thing, but there were photos of just my kid, and just other people's kids, too. I don't know where he got all the kids full names, I'm assuming his kid told him or he had a list of the team mates or ?

Part of me wanted to go talk to him about it, but the other part of me decided that it's just the age we live in. This is how things are now. And I needed to just let it go.

On a somewhat similar subject - we also have a family member who does the online family tree thing who decided to put all our full names, birthdates, birth locations, etc. online for the whole world to see as well. I did contact that person since it was a relative and they told me that they couldn't change anything because they had forgot their password and didn't have access to that account anymore! That, IMO, is worse than the weird stranger dude taking and posting photos and names of kids who aren't their own thing. But only slightly.
It does seem a little odd for the dad to identify and post pics of kids on FB that he and his son don't know very well. He's probably just posting action shots of the team members in an attempt to capture what happened during the game.

I've seen those types of family trees posted on the internet and I can understand your concern. That does seem pretty invasive...

Old 11-08-2012, 07:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,231,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
IIRC part of the OP's concern was that she saw the other mom on facebook on her phone. If the mom hadn't happened to have checked FB right then, would we even be discussing this?
We also wouldn't be discussing this if the OP hadn't snooped to see what Honey Boo Boo's mother had on her phone.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:44 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,256,367 times
I think when your child is in the camera frame of someone's phone screen and you see this, you should as a parent, know why, and ask....especially if it is a stranger to you, as this person was to the OP.
Don't forget, put this in context... the real issue was whether this stranger was putting the OP's young daughter's image on a random strangers facebook.

But, as with all other posts supporting this Mom/Op
I'm sure there will be comments suggesting how they are in the wrong...even being called snoopy???

How hypocritical that it is "snoopy" to confront a stranger filming your child....But, NOT at all inappropriate for this stranger to be filming Your child.

Last edited by JanND; 11-09-2012 at 04:54 AM..

Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,494,385 times
Quote:
I think when your child is in the camera frame of someone's phone screen and you see this, you should as a parent, know why, and ask....especially if it is a stranger to you, as this person was to the OP.
Don't forget, put this in context... the real issue was whether this stranger was putting the OP's young daughter's image on a random strangers facebook.

I'm sure there will be comments suggesting how they are in the wrong...even being called snoopy???

How hypocritical that it is "snoopy" to confront a stranger filming your child....But, NOT at all inappropriate for this stranger to be filming Your child.
Because, the person was not a " stranger filming the OP's child" She was a parent, filming her own child ina public setting. The OP's child just happened to be there. That is hugely different than, as the title implied, an unknown person, walking into a dance studio, focusing the lense on a specific child and filming. Even if the parent in question puts the picture on FB, without a "tag" her dd remains "unknown child in the background". I don't see anything particularly alarming about that. Not to mention, I don't believe that you can "tag"a person who doesn't have a FB page...

Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,936,985 times
Quote:

Well the person doing the filming in the OPs case was not a random stranger. She was a parent of another child in the class. And she was not filming the OPs child, she was filming her own child and the OPs child happened to also be in the shot.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:39 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,256,367 times
Like I said....Thanks for proving my point.
So... If it is seen by so many of you..... as so profoundly upsetting to ask another parent not to include your child in their photos, and you are so offended that you are asked not to post someone else's child's pic on a social media site? Where would you draw the line?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:04 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,490,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Because, the person was not a " stranger filming the OP's child" She was a parent, filming her own child ina public setting. The OP's child just happened to be there. That is hugely different than, as the title implied, an unknown person, walking into a dance studio, focusing the lense on a specific child and filming. Even if the parent in question puts the picture on FB, without a "tag" her dd remains "unknown child in the background". I don't see anything particularly alarming about that. Not to mention, I don't believe that you can "tag"a person who doesn't have a FB page...
Right. And also, it isn't just about social media, because when the parent filming told the OP that she wasn't putting it on facebook, she was recording so her husband could see, the OP then expressed her concern that the husband was a sick pedophile. So the whole social media argument regarding that particular situation is irrelevant. The mother explained to her that she WAS NOT putting the video on any social media site, and that wasn't good enough. I think I could live with a parent not wanting their child on facebook, even though I don't see the big deal myself. What I would not concede to is being told NOT to take photos just because their child happened to be standing next to mine. Tell your child to move then.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:06 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,936,985 times
Quote:
Like I said....Thanks for proving my point.
So... If it is seen by so many of you..... as so profoundly upsetting to ask another parent not to include your child in their photos, and you are so offended that you are asked not to post someone else's child's pic on a social media site? Where would you draw the line?
She wasn't asked to keep the image off of social media. She was asked to stop recording.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting