Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM

399 posts, read 705,202 times

Advertisements

JMHO, but I know for a fact, did it with my kids, but children can start to learn to swim as early as (if my memory serves me right) 3 months old. They learn that if they fall in the water how they can turn on their backs for survival. I think most of this may be like Kudo said media hype. I think as long as a child is not in harms way, children being photographed in the water is wonderful. But if the child starts to cry or isn't comfortable then they should be removed from that environment.

Best to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
It doesn't interest me but if you have Netflix, you should watch the documentary "Science of Babies". By instinct, babies know to hold their breath underwater. I'm sure at some point they lose this instinct b'c my 21 month old goes nuts when I get water just on her face! In the video, it looked like there's a lot of people there so the baby is in good hands. Nobody coerced the parent to do these photo shoots. They were a willing party. Photographers are professionals ... this photographer doesn't look like she willy-nilly-ed it. Parents need to do their research on photographers just like anything else. If they feel comfortable with the photographer and trust him/her, then their baby will be in good hands. If once they start and the baby doesn't like it one bit, the parents should be responsible enough to say stop, let's do another type of photo shoot. Simple as that.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:16 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
You're right foma, "no-body coerced the parents" to do these photo shoots....to bad that same curtesy was never extended to the infants...they had no choice, it was either hold your breath or die...I find this type of photography (with infants) to be very repulsive...I see no beauty in looking at the face of a child who is plunged under water and (if not for the help of nearby adults) would surely die...none what so ever.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I am glad you are here to defend your side Lisa. It's a shame how terrifically unethical journalism has become.
By unethical do you mean when people ask questions?..I think what Lisa is doing IS unethical, to say the least...I think your impressions, and perceptions in your first post Inkpoe were spot on...all the parents should be forced (and quickly so they're unaware of what's about to happen) under water, so that everyone could oooh and ahhh over their expressions.

Last edited by purehuman; 11-20-2012 at 03:34 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
You're right foma, "no-body coerced the parents" to do these photo shoots....to bad that same curtesy was never extended to the infants...they had no choice, it was either hold your breath or die...I find this type of photography (with infants) to be very repulsive...I see no beauty in looking at the face of a child who is plunged under water and (if not for the help of nearby adults) would surely die...none what so ever.

I think you are throwing this waaay out of proportion. I understand your concern and for the very same reason, I have no interest in doing any sort of water baby photography ... I also haven't given my 20 mo old daughter any swim lessons b'c I'm not comfortable with her being in the water. However, I know a lot of parents who have taken their babies to swim lessons. Babies are submersed in water as part of the swim lesson. If you search "teach your baby how to swim" on Google, you will find many babies under water. I'm not comfortable with it but I'm not a strong swimmer. Someone who is comfortable in a pool and loves to swim would think otherwise.

Most parents do have common sense. If their baby hates being in water, I doubt they will be the ones going to these services - like my baby. Some babies LOVE being in water - I would guess they are the ones that would love to have some water baby photos.

Finally, the image that comes to mind when I read this post was the baby in the Nirvana album, "Nevermind". Now that brings back memories!!

Old 11-21-2012, 04:02 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
By unethical do you mean when people ask questions?..I think what Lisa is doing IS unethical, to say the least...I think your impressions, and perceptions in your first post Inkpoe were spot on...all the parents should be forced (and quickly so they're unaware of what's about to happen) under water, so that everyone could oooh and ahhh over their expressions.
No, I mean by conveniently leaving important parts out of the story, chronologically rearranging video, etc.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 AM

foma...I'm a strong swimmer as are all my children, and I never submerged one of them under water as an infant...and I sure didn't need someone on google telling me how to do it...I don't really believe babies can swim, that's why all the pictures are of them under water....guaranteed if someone wasn't there to pull them out they'd die...I am veeery comfortable in a pool, and absolutely enjoy the water, and I still don't "think otherwise"...and babies that love playing in the water can have their pictures taken easily while they play....submerging them under water is NOT something a baby would ever do on their own. When I see the pictures of them like that, I feel a sense of dread, and sadness that their parents would think it's ok,...it's just for a picture...I don't see my opinion as "waaay out of proportion", not at all...what's waaaaaay out of proportion is forcing these infants under water just for a picture...that's cruel.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 PM

Whatever purehuman. You are entitled to your opinions. No one is talking about "if someone wasn't there to pull them out the'd die". NO ONE. There are plenty of people nearby. The baby is in good hands. Even my daughter who doesn't like the water still knows to hold her breath. In no way do I see it as cruel unless the child is obviously not happy. I wouldn't do it. You wouldn't do it. The rest, we can agree to disagree.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:47 PM

112 posts, read 292,804 times
Lisa,
I am so sorry that Inside Edition spun your story to make it into something that it is not. My son started lessons at 3 months and we have a few underwater pictures of him as a baby. He did not cry and he was not put under water until he had months of lessons behind him. Inside Edition is notorious for spinning stories and anybody who watches it and believes their garbage is completely naive. It is very sad to see how far they will go for a story and unfortunately this happens daily.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:50 PM

112 posts, read 292,804 times
Quote:
foma...I'm a strong swimmer as are all my children, and I never submerged one of them under water as an infant...and I sure didn't need someone on google telling me how to do it...I don't really believe babies can swim, that's why all the pictures are of them under water....guaranteed if someone wasn't there to pull them out they'd die...I am veeery comfortable in a pool, and absolutely enjoy the water, and I still don't "think otherwise"...and babies that love playing in the water can have their pictures taken easily while they play....submerging them under water is NOT something a baby would ever do on their own. When I see the pictures of them like that, I feel a sense of dread, and sadness that their parents would think it's ok,...it's just for a picture...I don't see my opinion as "waaay out of proportion", not at all...what's waaaaaay out of proportion is forcing these infants under water just for a picture...that's cruel.
Going under water is part of the learning to swim. If it is part of their lesson then they are used to it. The AAP recommends all children all children to have swim lessons. This isn't about the picture, it's about you having a problem with swim lessons that involve babies going under water. When in fact, for some it can be a life saving skill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting