Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 08:57 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I understand her concerns and it has nothing to do with his race.

Quote:
Biracial child
Quote:
One of my best friends is White, and the father is Black.
Quote:
the "Black" side of the family.
Quote:
The baby has a very "White" name

Old 11-24-2012, 09:01 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
If you're so concerned about the child, then marry the woman and adopt the girl. Until that happens, the father can see his daughter if he asks in court and his family can tell the girl whatever they want. It's called Father's Rights.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:15 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
One of my best friends is White, and the father is Black. This baby was totally unexpected, they were not in relationship and they don't even talk all that much anymore. The baby is really cute, almost a year old now and she has done a great job so far, the little girl is very precious

Anyways, she has done whatever she can to keep this baby away from the "Black" side of the family. The baby has a very "White" name and has had very little contact with the Dad and his in-laws. I was talking to her the other day and she was like "Well, I don't want them teaching her any ignorant, ghetto ****".
Repubocrat, first I have to laugh at this, because I'm thinking Madeleine instead of LaChantrelle, or something crazy like that. People who take issue with this need to deal with reality - there are "black" names that white people don't name their kids. If the guy's a deadbeat, and he sounds like he is, then he is going to be so much of a deadbeat that he won't take an active role in the child's life, at any time. The sticky wicket could be the grandparents. How are they? I guess she could bring the child over for limited windows of time, but if they're trouble, then she needs to keep them at bay. One thing is for sure. This girl is lucky she had a little girl, because Moms have a bigger influence on their girls than Dads do, it seems.

I think the Mom knows what she's doing. Now, you can "plan" all you want, but kids are on their own programs, so they may not deliver. They'll be making choices, good ones and bad ones, too, as life unfolds.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,100,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Repubocrat, first I have to laugh at this, because I'm thinking Madeleine instead of LaChantrelle, or something crazy like that. People who take issue with this need to deal with reality - there are "black" names that white people don't name their kids. If the guy's a deadbeat, and he sounds like he is, then he is going to be so much of a deadbeat that he won't take an active role in the child's life, at any time. The sticky wicket could be the grandparents. How are they? I guess she could bring the child over for limited windows of time, but if they're trouble, then she needs to keep them at bay. One thing is for sure. This girl is lucky she had a little girl, because Moms have a bigger influence on their girls than Dads do, it seems.

I think the Mom knows what she's doing. Now, you can "plan" all you want, but kids are on their own programs, so they may not deliver. They'll be making choices, good ones and bad ones, too, as life unfolds.
Not necessarily true. Fathers who are active in their daughter's life have a HUGE influence on their future, specifically on their relationships with men.
And if this mother is this child's strongest influence, she's in a LOT of trouble.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
One of my best friends is White, and the father is Black. This baby was totally unexpected, they were not in relationship and they don't even talk all that much anymore. The baby is really cute, almost a year old now and she has done a great job so far, the little girl is very precious

Anyways, she has done whatever she can to keep this baby away from the "Black" side of the family. The baby has a very "White" name and has had very little contact with the Dad and his in-laws. I was talking to her the other day and she was like "Well, I don't want them teaching her any ignorant, ghetto ****".

Anyways, my friend is one of the least racist people I know- BUT I can understand her concern. At the same time, I feel like the Dad's family should be able to see the baby too. I have to say, the father does not have much to offer this child anyways, he smokes weed, drinks heavily, has not been involved in her life since day 1 and he was recently diagnosed with cancer, so he may not even live much longer. In a way, I understand her concerns and it has nothing to do with his race. Thoughts?

The father being black has nothing to do with the crux of what you and she claim you're 'concerned' about. The father's behavior can be seen in white men, black men, and Hispanic men daily -- get out more. I for one am not the least bit surprised YOU made a thread like this; your motives for doing so are as transparent as day & again using the child as a 'huge concern' is full of hot air.

So here's my advice to you: Find bigger fish to fry. It's not your situation or your buisness, if the mother is doing such a bang up job, there shouldn't be any problems then. She's not the first single mother to have a deadbeat father black, white or other.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:35 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,100,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
The father being black has nothing to do with the crux of what you and she claim you're 'concerned' about. The father's behavior can be seen in white men, black men, and Hispanic men daily -- get out more. I for one am not the least big surprised YOU made a thread like this; your motives for doing so are as transparent as day & again using the child as a 'huge concern' is full of hot air.

So here's my advice to you: Find bigger fish to fry. It's not your situation or your buisness, if the mother is doing such a bang up job, there shouldn't be any problem then. She's the not the first single mother to have a deadbeat single father, black or white or other.

Couldn't have said it any better

Old 11-24-2012, 10:11 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

Anyways, my friend is one of the least racist people I know- BUT I can understand her concern. At the same time, I feel like the Dad's family should be able to see the baby too. I have to say, the father does not have much to offer this child anyways, he smokes weed, drinks heavily, has not been involved in her life since day 1 and he was recently diagnosed with cancer, so he may not even live much longer. In a way, I understand her concerns and it has nothing to do with his race. Thoughts?
Why do you need our thoughts? This has more to do with the individuals involved than with race. None of the African American families I know is "ghetto". Get real.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:12 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Repubocrat, first I have to laugh at this, because I'm thinking Madeleine instead of LaChantrelle, or something crazy like that.
I was thinking Mackenzie...Madison...Bella, if she's a Twilight fan. haha

Old 11-24-2012, 02:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:

I don't see how you have any say in the matter whatsoever. The part I bolded is reason enough for your friend to want to keep him away.

ETA does the child's father or other relatives even want to have contact with the child? You never said. If so, this is a non-issue.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
And really, how is this any different than how our current president, Obama, was raised? Little to no contact with his African Father. Primarily raised by a white Mother and white Grandparents.

He turned out okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting