Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 11:02 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times

Advertisements

In recent years there have been a spate of shows on television's TLC , and several other networks.

"Jon and Kate Plus Eight"

"The Duggars - Nineteen and Counting" and several others. Around the same time we were treated to the antics of the Octomom, whose fertility enhanced exploits failed to earn her more than fifteen minutes of fame.

In the world of adoption, there are families with ten, twelve, and fifteen children. There are families that adopt entire groups of children who have severe special needs.

While birth rates have dipped since the baby boom, there are movements among ultra conservative Christians such as the "Quiver Full Movement" , of which the Duggars are members. This movement advocates that all Christians have at least five children. ( In ancient times arrows were kept in a quiver and a quiver held fiver arrows - a Psalm states "blessed is a man with a quiver full of children...")

I also know other people with utra large families who are neither conservative nor Christian.

What are your thoughts about this? Is there a set number that is too much? Or is it all good? Do you think these people are doing this for altruistic reasons or selfish or something else?

I am interested to hear all of your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
I am not religious by any means so when people have a lot of children for god, seems a bit off to me. In the grand scheme of things I really dont care as long as they can provide for the children or dont expect the world cater to them because they have so many kids. I have a former friend that had 6 kids. She will tear up stores and restaurants with her brood and have the attitude "well I've got 6 kids!" My husband grew up in a large family and I find my in-laws to be annoying at family events. Everyone shouts over each other and its a lot of commotion. Also someone is always peeved at someone else. Lots of drama. It wears on my nerves because of my personality. My son though (an only child) loves the liveliness of the family get togethers. I see the benefits of large and small families. I just dont really have an opinion on what others do regarding how many children they have, as long as the kids are provided for.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
I think the love of a family is something far different from being in a group home. Not comparable at all.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
To each his own -- as long as the parents can afford the kids and care for them, it doesn't matter if they have one or a dozen. Big families can be a lot of fun, adoption isn't all that cheap or easy today. Not everyone is qualified to adopt older children who may have special needs.

Parents wanting and capable of financially supporting a dozen kids are rare enough today and are offset by those who want none or only one.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,192 times
I used to think I wanted a large number of children. Due to circumstances, I ended up with three. Two are mine biologically.

Now, I have a friend who has six kids. Most are grown, the youngest is 15. She is Catholic and came from a family of eight. When I have been to her house for holiday events, there are all the "kids" there plus some of their kids, wives, husbands, etc... and I have mixed feelings about the whole large family thing now.

On the one hand, her kids are all very close and it is heartwarming to watch. She herself says that she was NOT close to her siblings though, so having a large family is no guarantee of that. But it is really chaotic and loud. I just don't think I could stand it. Maybe it's just a matter of what you are used to..? I grew up with just one brother, who is much older, so I was an only child in practice and got used to lots and lots of quiet time.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
I don't really care how many children other people have in their family. As long as everyone in the family is happy it really isn't my business.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,581 times
As long the kids are wanted and cared for, then I don't see a problem with it. The thing with octomom is that she is/was struggling to care for her kids.

If the parents have the resources and finances, then I say do as you wish. Of course, even with resources and finances, people may have more children than they can care for; in these situations, it is sad for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting