Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times

Advertisements

You may want to get involved in geocaching. It's fun and you can do it even in the city.

Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

You have to sign up, but it is free unless you get really into it and want a premium account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 03:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Perfect age for an indoor water park.

Weekend canoe trip.

Rock climbing (does not have to be super ambitious, it will be fun for her).

Laser tag with some friends.

Go work at a soup kitchen or a shelter for a day.

Take a fun class together like scuba diving, sail boarding, karate, or knitting.

Animal shelters requrie her to be 18 to help, but human shelters will take her help as long as you are with her.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,494,364 times
Some animal shelters will take them under 18 but an adult has to stay withnthem. My olsest who is 10, volunteers at an animal shelter and mainly works with the cats. She plays with them, brushes them, feeds them...
If she wanted to help walk a dog, myself or my husband would have to go with her and sign a waiver...

Have you tried any of the local craft stores such as Michael's or AC Moore? They offer different craft class choices or a paint your own pottery place?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 PM

845 posts, read 1,349,992 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I really have to start looking these things up and see what we've got.

We found our public library Saturday. We spent about an hour there, I read and she played with other kids. We also walked around the mall a little and went to a place called Canterberry Village; a little Christmas town of sorts, mostly with collectable (and expensive) items.

I think one of the biggest things she's missing is friends. A lot of the little kids left our apartment complex, so she doesn't have anyone to play with. When we go to my mother's, my mother tends to be overprotective and doesn't let her outside with any of the other kids. We had a problem back in the fall and now one kid is not allowed to come over when my daughter is around.

I let her go outside when she wants, after homework and chores are done. She gets pretty upset when there is no one to play with and mopes around inside. I play with her often but she loves it when kids her age can play.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,831,280 times
My mom and I used to go to this pottery place where you pick out an item and paint it. Then they put a glaze on it. We took jewlery making classes.
I am not sure if this is in all states but where I was from the school districts have community education and they offer classes for kids and adults. Some things I remember taking were cooking or computer classes. This may also help her meet other kids.
At home if you want to fill the time together what about a board game,puzzle,baking or cooking,another type of craft?

Old 02-12-2013, 05:45 AM

845 posts, read 1,349,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
My mom and I used to go to this pottery place where you pick out an item and paint it. Then they put a glaze on it. We took jewlery making classes.
I am not sure if this is in all states but where I was from the school districts have community education and they offer classes for kids and adults. Some things I remember taking were cooking or computer classes. This may also help her meet other kids.
Quote:
At home if you want to fill the time together what about a board game,puzzle,baking or cooking,another type of craft?
We do a lot of stuff together. Sunday, we cooked chocolate chip pancakes. We didn't eat for the whole day until dinner and had chicken salads (the pancakes where too rich).

I remember a place not too far from here just like that. My mom took us there, but it's long been gone. There is a dance school right down the road from our apartment. I've wanted to see what they're about for a while now. There are a lot of after school activities that I wasn't able to afford before but with a little work, I think getting her into something during school will be a treat for her. She also goes to her mom's during the summer. So summer sports or activities are out, unless I pay for them.

I think some places are still around, I just have to find them.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:28 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
It sounds like she needs activities involving other children. What about a sport? Rec centers often offer sports leagues that are less expensive and more fun than competitive. Maybe 1 practice during the week and one game on Saturday.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I really have to start looking these things up and see what we've got.

We found our public library Saturday. We spent about an hour there, I read and she played with other kids. We also walked around the mall a little and went to a place called Canterberry Village; a little Christmas town of sorts, mostly with collectable (and expensive) items.

I think one of the biggest things she's missing is friends. A lot of the little kids left our apartment complex, so she doesn't have anyone to play with. When we go to my mother's, my mother tends to be overprotective and doesn't let her outside with any of the other kids. We had a problem back in the fall and now one kid is not allowed to come over when my daughter is around.

I let her go outside when she wants, after homework and chores are done. She gets pretty upset when there is no one to play with and mopes around inside. I play with her often but she loves it when kids her age can play.
Are you able to contact the parents of her friends from school and invite them over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting