Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:27 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
But, why spend extra money to get stuff that looks fun if no one is going to see it? By the way, I'm not the only one who thinks this. I asked around, and a lot of people I know don't understand it either.
I like fun undewear. It makes me feel good when I wear it.

It doesn't have to cost a whole lot of money. Target has cute underwear that comes in bright colors and cute patterns that don't cost more than any other underwear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 12:29 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not all 2 piece bathing suits for girls are sexy. Or meant to be. Speaking as a woman who is long-torso'd, who's daughter is also long torso'd, I can tell you a 2 piece bathing suit is much more comfortable and easier to manage for little girls than most one piece suits. Bathing suit manufacturers do now make one piece suits expressly for long torso'd women. I haven't seen them in girls sizes. Better to have a modest 2 piece suit than a one piece suit that is not long enough.
I don't have a problem with 2 piece bathing suits. I was responding to someone who did. I was talking about the difference between underwear and bathing suits. I like 2 piece bathing suits. Especially for toddlers.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:54 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't have a problem with 2 piece bathing suits. I was responding to someone who did. I was talking about the difference between underwear and bathing suits. I like 2 piece bathing suits. Especially for toddlers.
Yeah nothing worse than a toddler who needs to poop wearing a wet one piece. It's almost as annoying as trying to get off glitter nail polish.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
For those parents thrilled to have your tween and teen daughters decked out in Victoria's Secret: do your daughters shop for these items in store, online, or via catalog?
I am not "thrilled," nor is my daughter "decked out," but she does own Pink sweats, T-shirts, bras, and underwear. When she buys herself clothes, it's usually in the store. I am more likely to shop online. We both look at the catalogs.

Quote:
How do you feel about the imagery to which your daughters are exposed while shopping for V.S. products?
The Pink ads from a year or two ago were more provocative than they are now, but even then, it didn't bother me very much. The standard Pink ad now seems to involve holding a tiny piece of your hair while making a goofy face.

Quote:
What messages do you feel are presented by the giant V.S. posters in malls, and the images in V.S. catalogs and on the website?
"Buy this underwear."

Quote:
Do you believe these images help to foster healthy attitudes in our girls about their bodies and their worth as human beings?
Overall, I think it's neutral. My daughter's motivation is wearing pretty underwear that fits.

Quote:
Are you comfortable with your daughters emulating the provocative poses of V.S. models when they themselves pose for pictures?
Pink ads don't have provocative poses. Their schtick is about being the "accidentally sexy" surfer girl next door, with her matching panties and thongs peeping out of her slouchy sweats. My daughter does not dress like that.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I am not "thrilled," nor is my daughter "decked out," but she does own Pink sweats, T-shirts, bras, and underwear. When she buys herself clothes, it's usually in the store. I am more likely to shop online. We both look at the catalogs.

The Pink ads from a year or two ago were more provocative than they are now, but even then, it didn't bother me very much. The standard Pink ad now seems to involve holding a tiny piece of your hair while making a goofy face.

"Buy this underwear."

Overall, I think it's neutral. My daughter's motivation is wearing pretty underwear that fits.

Pink ads don't have provocative poses. Their schtick is about being the "accidentally sexy" surfer girl next door, with her matching panties and thongs peeping out of her slouchy sweats. My daughter does not dress like that.

You don't even need to shop at VS to obtain that image either.

But for those who want to look like that's what's so wrong with them doing so?

Nothing wrong with telling a child hey you can dress how ever you want when you are 18.
And letting adults wear whatever they want....

Old 04-01-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
You don't even need to shop at VS to obtain that image either.

But for those who want to look like that's what's so wrong with them doing so?

Nothing wrong with telling a child hey you can dress how ever you want when you are 18.
And letting adults wear whatever they want....
I'm not sure what you mean. Your thread is about tweens and teens, right? Of course adults wear whatever they want, but that's irrelevant.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. Your thread is about tweens and teens, right? Of course adults wear whatever they want, but that's irrelevant.
Yes but some people get outraged over things sold in stores because their kids but it and then those people think it shouldn't be sold at all because its "too slutty" for anyone.

Like I said my friend had a great point, when you add coloring, flavored or make it really small people automatically think its bein marketed towards kids and people want it off the shelves for everyone because they think the flavoring, coloring or small sizes will entice children to buy them, as if adults can have anything fun too. Ie watermelon alcohol, women's bright colored underwear, etc.

She even told me an incident where there is strawberry flavored meth, and all these parents think it marketed to kids, uh no it's marketed to meth heads who like fruit flavors.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Yes but some people get outraged over things sold in stores because their kids but it and then those people think it shouldn't be sold at all because its "too slutty" for anyone.

Like I said my friend had a great point, when you add coloring, flavored or make it really small people automatically think its bein marketed towards kids and people want it off the shelves for everyone because they think the flavoring, coloring or small sizes will entice children to buy them, as if adults can have anything fun too. Ie watermelon alcohol, women's bright colored underwear, etc.
Ah, gotcha. The only outrage I've noticed is in the articles people have posted. It's like the nuts who were upset about the Tellytubby carrying a purse ... pretty much everyone else just tunes them out. Victoria's Secret's clothing isn't going anywhere.

Quote:
She even told me an incident where there is strawberry flavored meth, and all these parents think it marketed to kids, uh no it's marketed to meth heads who like fruit flavors.
I disagree there. Meth is made for and marketed to whoever will try it, regardless of age. Strawberry meth is not "for grown-ups."

Old 04-03-2013, 08:28 PM

919 posts, read 1,691,034 times
Quote:

"Buy this underwear."

Could not agree more! Seriously I look NOTHING like a VS model (17 y.o btw) and do I look at the posters and say "wow, i wish my stomach was that flat" sure I do, but a VS poster is not going prompt me to slouch over my toilet throwing up my dinner or starving myself. It's no different from any other store ad. Kmart for example has Sofia Veragara in a bra and underwear, Target has models in underwear, I don't see the difference. I think the negative connotation of VS in general is that they create things like "The ultra Wonder-bra, Bombshell bra and Barely there underwear" none of which are geared at "tweens"

I shop at VS, In store, because their bras are super comfortable and they fit me better then the target or kmart bras that I have. And mine have patterns and lace but it's just for me- I don't think there's anything wrong with cute underwear- except that you can see them if they have a crazy pattern (learned this the hard way) Even underwear there. I am more likely to spend more on the super soft underwear in VS if I can't find it in target than the not-so-comfy cheap underwear I do find there.

As far as PINK goes, again it's all about comfort. PINK is just a brand as is Nike, Adidas, Aerie etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting